• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your thoughts on Crymachina?

To be honest, i'm a few hours in and hating it so far. I picked it up because it reminded me of Dragon Star Varnir(a game with a visual novel format about an all/almost all female cast trying to survive together in a world out to get them) which was a slow burn but even the intro sequence of that game wasn't nearly as boring as in this game. Levels are literaly just 5 minute stretches of empty space and like 2 enemy encounters before a boss fight and most of the dialogue is presented during sofa conversations in the hub world. The impression i'm getting is the devs just wanted to draw manga or a visual novel but decided the gaming industry is more lucrative. Even then the characters aren't nearly as interesting as they are in the other game I mentioned, they dont have strong personalities or interesting traits, the MC is super bland and is just their for the ride. There's no tangible stakes and hardly any reason to care for these characters. The story is just fetch quest shenanigans where you hunt down each of the 7 deus ex machina(basically AI machine bosses). But i'll probably end up playing until the halfway point to see if it's worth continuing or dropping.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I tried the demo for one of the new ones (I think there's multiple?). Some of the art design seemed cool but it seemed pretty low budget and didn't grab me quickly enough. I didn't give it enough of a chance to have a very informed opinion about it.

I've only played the demo and that was a few months back. I didn't pick it up, but I did post my thoughts on it in a different thread which I'll quote below:
  • Graphics are fine, but it's clear that it was made with the Switch in mind (this doesn't bother me at all but maybe some will have issues with it since it's a full price game)
  • It runs very well at a locked 60fps and the image quality is very good with almost no alias
  • Played around one hour and a bit with, with most of the gameplay being VN style storytelling and interactions with the 3 characters you meet in the demo
  • All characters in the sectioned demo (the MC you play as and the 3 other characters she meets) are likable and have good chemistry with each other
  • The few parts of actual gameplay is standard character action with nothing out of ordinary (standard dungeon crawling with little exploration off the beaten path)
  • The area I've played after completing the tutorial was short, with maybe several fodder enemies and then a boss
  • From what I'm gathered you have up to 3 characters to play as, and each character is available to play depending on the mission you're attempting (I'm not exactly sure here)?

I've only played the demo and that was a few months back. I didn't pick it up, but I did post my thoughts on it in a different thread which I'll quote below:
Interesting points

>Graphics are fine, but it's clear that it was made with the Switch in mind (this doesn't bother me at all but maybe some will have issues with it since it's a full price game)

Tbh when I first saw it I thought it was a gacha mobile game. But the designs and art style look nice at least to compensate for graphical shortcomings.

>All characters in the sectioned demo (the MC you play as and the 3 other characters she meets) are likable and have good chemistry with each other

I'll have to disagree about their chemistry. IMO the character dynamics are super boring and there are a lot of yuri overtones. Dragon Star Varnir has a similar format with the all(besides the one dude) female cast and executes it way better where they actually feel like a family. You see them go through thick and thin.

>From what I'm gathered you have up to 3 characters to play as, and each character is available to play depending on the mission you're attempting (I'm not exactly sure here)?

I've only played as two so far but I think the game will let me play as the third(Ami) soon.

Last edited:
Interesting points

>Graphics are fine, but it's clear that it was made with the Switch in mind (this doesn't bother me at all but maybe some will have issues with it since it's a full price game)

Tbh when I first saw it I thought it was a gacha mobile game. But the designs and art style look nice at least to compensate for graphical shortcomings.

>All characters in the sectioned demo (the MC you play as and the 3 other characters she meets) are likable and have good chemistry with each other

I'll have to disagree about their chemistry. IMO the character dynamics are super boring and there are a lot of yuri overtones. Dragon Star Varnir has a similar format with the all(besides the one dude) female cast and executes it way better where they actually feel like a family. You see them go through thick and thin.

>From what I'm gathered you have up to 3 characters to play as, and each character is available to play depending on the mission you're attempting (I'm not exactly sure here)?

I've only played as two so far but I think the game will let me play as the third(Ami) soon.
Well I only played an hour or so and not enough to form more extensive thoughts one way or another, but I know the gameplay def did not convince me to spend €60 on it. And yeah I noticed the yuri stuff lol but it didn't really bother me. All I know that the team behind the game are some fresh out of college devs so my expectations were low to begin with. Might pick it up still if the physical drops to €15 - €20. :p

Last edited:
OP - "What are your thoughts on X game?"

--- proceeds to provide no pics, video, or any media at all to help gamers who don't know about the game in question to know WTF he's talking about.

Poor quality thread, OP. Pls, try better next time.

I had fun, combat is good and challenging sometimes.
Coffe talk, arena, coffe talk, arena...

But the story is nice so im fine with the game! 7.5/10 imo!
It's not a masterpiece but i recommend to hack'em slash and anime game fans!

Last edited:
Top Bottom