• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When was the last time you paid full retail price for a game?

When was the last time you purchased a game at full retail price?

• In the last Week

Votes: 26 11.4%
  • In last 2 weeks

Votes: 15 6.6%
  • In last 3 weeks

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • In the last month

Votes: 31 13.6%
  • IN the last 3 months

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • In the past 6 months

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • In the last Year

Votes: 25 11.0%
  • Over a Year

Votes: 70 30.7%

• Total voters

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Up until recently, (got the thousand year door remake) it was probably 6 months or longer since I bought a retail game. Many factors contribute to that, (don't have enough time, don't care for the majority of games releasing,other interest, etc.). So I ask you, when was the last time you purchased a game at retail price. With game pass, PSN extra, Sales, etc. they have kind of made an incentive to wait to buy games today(switching excluding) . The ps5 and Series S especially benefit from waiting to purchase because if you wait 6 months the games are nearly half off most of the time. I am also and advocate for physical games and collect on the Switch. In my opinion the switch is the only system worth collecting for currently due to the others needing online access, server handshakes,etc in a ton of cases. Let's face it, $70 for most of us is a struggle these days.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Stellar Blade

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Alan Wake 2 - Full price for the store, $0 out of pocket, was paid fully by MS Rewards
BG3 got for $20 on a sweet deal

I think the real answer is RE4 remake.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
TOTK and Helldivers II.

I got Mario Wonder on ebay for forty bucks. The attrition of these evergreen Nintendo titles is finally defeating me.

reinking

Gold Member
Can I vote tomorrow? I am going to be jumping on that Astro Bot preorder.

run robot GIF by PlayStationDE

Fbh

FF16 because I fell for the hype and inexplicably positive reviews (can't take any reviewer who gave this more than a 7.5 seriously anymore).
Definitely wasn't worth it.

I almost never pay full price anymore. Games are way too expensive where I live (poor exchange rates means they are literally twice as much as they were 10 years ago).
Square almost got me again with Rebirth but after FFXVI and with the subpar performance mode I decided to wait.

These days I'll only pay full price for souls games by FROM or cool indie games.
The only day 1 purchase I plan this year is the Elden Ring DLC.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
There is absolutely no reason to buy games at launch anymore.. every game is better, more complete and cheaper down the lane ... just the perfomance updates alone justify the waiting .. even sony first party's as good as they are come with later updates ...

Day 1 to 6 months are basically the new beta testers of the industry.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Just bought Monster Hunter Stories double pack on PS5 a couple days ago. Pre-order, even.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I really, really don't know.

The "I have to play this game day 1!" fever sort of went away for me when it comes to 99% of the games that get released nowadays, and those very few I want to play day 1 I'll either play them on gamepass or get them for cheap on a key reseller site.

So yeah, don't know. Maybe Read Dead Redemption 2 for the PS4 back in 2018.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Excluding occasional cheap indie games (I still wait for deals too most of the time), the last time I bought a game full price on my own with home sharing with a buddy was I think Witcher 3.

Facism

Baldur's Gate 3. Everything else on pc, outside of epic, you generally find with decent discounts before release.

Console? Tlou2 ps4 I think. Before Sony decided £45 wasn't enough raised everything to £70.

Holammer

By full retail price I guess the OP means 60-70€/$ corporate slop?
I don't roll that way, my most recent purchases are Tiny Terry's Turbo Trip, Labyrinth: The Wizard's Cat & Pampas & Selene: The maze of demons.

Someone needs to keep the indies feed.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I got to tell you I have not paid full price for a game ever these last two generations, spring, summer, fall and winter sales have been special.

Robochobo

The Unicorn Overlord Collectors Edition. That's the only time, place, or way I'll ever pay full price for a game. Give me a reason to spend my money and I'll gladly pay the asking price and then more. Otherwise I'll just wait for a discount. There's way to many games that come out now between my PC plus consoles, and I have limited time as it is to drop whatever I'm doing and immediately play yours.

I'll be pre-ordering the Collectors Edition of Stalker 2 once it's (hopefully) back in stock as well.
Give me really cool collectible stuff.
I'm yours.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
There is absolutely no reason to buy games at launch anymore.

"There is absolutely no reason to buy consoles anymore."
"There is absolutely no reason to buy a gaming PC anymore."
"There is absolutely no reason to use play on anything other than a smartphone anymore."
"There is absolutely no reason to upgrade your PC right now."
"There is absolutely no reason to upgrade your monitor/TV right now."

Et cetera, so-on, and so-forth. The point is, these absolute claims are retarded at best. Just because there is no reason for you to do X doesn't mean that there is no reason for anyone to do X. If I want to pre-order a game, I will pre-order a game.

StereoVsn

FFVIIR was the last one and been BG3 before that and a while before it. I don’t play a lot of MP, don’t care about hype and in general wait for inevitable performance fixes.

FFVII Rebirth I bought because well it’s a game I wanted for 20 years so don’t feel like waiting. Other than that I bought a few Switch games last year that don’t really drop in price due to small prints.

Well, and BG3 is BG3. Even they I bought after first big fix patch.

Kssio_Aug

In May 2022. Elden Ring. I regretted. Not a bad game, but not worth what I paid (250 BRL).

Last edited:
Top Bottom