• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When was the last time you paid full retail price for a game?

When was the last time you purchased a game at full retail price?

• In the last Week

Votes: 26 11.4%
  • In last 2 weeks

Votes: 15 6.6%
  • In last 3 weeks

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • In the last month

Votes: 31 13.6%
  • IN the last 3 months

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • In the past 6 months

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • In the last Year

Votes: 25 11.0%
  • Over a Year

Votes: 70 30.7%

• Total voters

Jesb

I’m not sure. Even a big game I’m really looking forward to I won’t buy day one anymore. Games are $90+ here day one usually. No thanks to that.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Tsushima on PC just last week. Hades 2 before that. Games are cheap. I do it often. Buy a lot of cheap games too. Steam.

Pimpbaa

Stellar Blade. Was the first game I pre order in a long while too. But that game was a huge exception. I wanted to support the devs Shift Up plus I want more games like that. Normally I’d wait for a sale.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I actually most of the games I buy are full price because most of the time I buy them day one......In fact I'm going to buy SMTV Vengeance day one as well.

Better questing is when was the last time I didn't buy a game full price.

In the last 3 months, specifically for Alone In The Dark (2023) because I want to support those kinds of games and help them continue to exist. It's been getting less and less I'll pay full price over the years. Not sure if there is anything in the rest of 2024 that is worth $60 to $80 to me. And I have plenty to play.

Last edited:

GHound

Gold Member
Fate/Samurai Remnant which I bought the limited edition of.
I had $86 on Tsukihime until I found out John Sony wanted the reason it was so expensive fucked with. When confronted John Sony only said "hahaha fuck your artbook nerd hahaha what you gonna do bitch", but that was a mistake because I canceled my preorder and shit in his toilet without flushing. Now I'm waiting on the inevitable PC release.

Nydius

Gold Member
Stellar Blade and FF7 Rebirth are the only games of 2024 I’ve paid full price for at launch thus far. The only other one I know I’ll be buying at full price later is Astro Bot.

If I still had a reliable friends list of players, I probably would have bought Helldivers 2 at launch but since I don’t… 😐

Last edited:

Leonidas

A loooooooooooooooong time ago.

In fact, I think the last time I paid full retail for a game was in 2015.

I have gotten many games day one though, since a lot of times PC components will come with codes to download future releases.

Robb

Gold Member
Hmm, probably Super Mario Bros. Wonder. So October last year.

Last edited:

Esppiral

It's been long ago, I am smart enough to not own an only digital console and I can get games on release date cheaper that their digital counterparts

Either Ninja Gaiden 2 or Devil May Cry 4 on the Xbox 360.

Then I discovered steam sales and second hand markets and I never looked back.

Full retail price? This year alone, I've purchased Another Code Recollection, Granblue Relink, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Unicorn Overlord, Dragon's Dogma 2, and Stellar Blade all at full price.

I've also paid the full undiscounted price for these physicals: System Shock Remake, Persona 4 Golden, Sea of Stars, A Space For The Unbound, Helldivers 2, Ender Lilies, The Talos Principle 2 (Deluxe Edition), KonoSuba: God's Blessing on this Wonderful World! Love For These Clothes Of Desire!, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE Encore Edition.

My next purchase will be SMTVV next week.

Eimran

Only bought a select number of games on release date

GTA San Andreas
Bully
Red Dead Redemption 1&2
GTA V
God of War Ragnarok
Resident Evil 4 Remake
Hogwarts Legacy

Clover904

Alan Wake II Deluxe Edition! I knew this game was destined to be a phenomenal horror game and would need as much support as possible. I want more games like this, so I was happy to put my money where my mouth is and support such a talented development team.

Can’t wait for Alan Wake dlc, the Max Payne remake and Control 2

Neolombax

Gold Member
Destiny 2 The Final Shape, right before the expansion launched. But prior to that, i think it was FF7 Rebirth. Looking back, I probably could have held back on that purchase, the hype got to me and it wasn't THAT good.

xrnzaaas

System Shock Remake however it wasn't full 70$ (or even 60). Usually it's around 5 games per year for me, much less now that I've been burned by some games I was really looking forward to.

Last edited:

Duchess

I lean heavily into physical game purchases, so I'm always looking for the discounts, etc. As far as digital games go, I wait for the sales.

I think the last game I bought at full price was The Last of Us Part 2, back when it launched..!

acidagfc

Persona 3 Remake last month.

I was bored, wanted something good, thought that there is not going to be a sale on this one for while, so decided to get it at full price.

1 day later Steam sale began with 30% discount.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
TOTK for me and that was slightly cheaper than full price from the place I ordered my physical copy from. So that doesn't really count, but it's the nearest to full price I've paid in ages.

I've posted this before but Cyberpunk put me off preordering anything. Most things can be got at a discount relatively soon after launch.
Those two things, and a massive backlog incentivise waiting.

Never paid full price myself. Can't remember if the games I got for xmas and birthdays also were alrady reduced. I believe so. Always had the patience to wait for price redcutions. I'd always rather get two or maybe three "old" games than just the new one. Crying about 3 months already being old and yesterday's news is also something that seems a bit of a modern idiocy. Last gen, okay, but when it's still running on current gen, it's just insane to act like it is old.
The Gold Games collections were always just incredibly glorious, before sub services made it even more easy to indulge in "old" stuff. Same attitude as with buying used cars. Sure, new car smell is something, but I rather not lose half of its value when leaving the store to have that.
Today my backlog is so huge having any fomo or whatever would just be even more stupid than before.
With subs, my support is almost limited to playing what I like and hoping those games will get made in the future, and occasionally I buy stuff, sometimes even after I am actually done with them, to show a bit support with my wallet.

I actually most of the games I buy are full price because most of the time I buy them day one......In fact I'm going to buy SMTV Vengeance day one as well.

Better questing is when was the last time I didn't buy a game full price.
EZ1XDqZ.gif

Top Bottom