• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do PC handhelds go from here? What would you like to see in future systems?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
2023 so far has been an amazing year for the handheld scene especially in terms of PC handhelds. We've seen new devices from different companies who are now looking to dip their toes into the market (ROG Ally, AYN Loki, Lenovo Legion Go, TJD T10) as well as new devices from older well established companies who have been in the scene for years and are improving their craft (OneXPlayer 2, OneXFly, GPD Win 4, Ayaneo Geek, Ayaneo Air 1S, etc). It's all just a bunch of good stuff coming all around, and I'm glad for it!

When all's said and done and the year is done however, what new stuff would you like to see from the handhelds in 2024 and beyond? Is it just newer chips that run games faster and more efficiently? Mass adoption of Deck's control scheme? Maybe more efficient processors with longer battery lives? Fucking exclusives like some console warrior weirdo? respond below!

PC handlehelds are... PCs só they will follow the same path they will keep their size and become more powerful.

The form factor already works what people complain a lot is screen and battery those 2 still need some improvement.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’d just like something compact and portable, with a good battery life, even if it means a 720p screen @ 60hz. Make sure it’s Oled with minimal bezels and it’d look insane.

Higher resolutions and refresh rates is the worst way to prioritise power for a handheld IMO.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I’d just like something compact and portable, with a good battery life, even if it means a 720p screen @ 60hz. Make sure it’s Oled with minimal bezels and it’d look insane.

Higher resolutions and refresh rates is the worst way to prioritise power for a handheld IMO.
I can see a future for 120hz/144hz screens on PC handhelds but it is a long way from now when we have the battery life to justify it. We dont need such lavish features when the market is still young and tech is still barely scraping 1/2 hours on the most demading games

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Similar size to rog ally, better battery. 120hz oled with vrr and more powaaa. Get to genuine series s or a but faster with a newer rdna chip and I'm all in!

JimboJones

I'd love a Variable refresh screen, as nice as being able to select the refresh rate of the screen on the deck is, it would be nicer to have a range to aim for rather than having to aim for a single refresh target.
Having to lock to a lower refresh rate to get a stable performance kinda sucks when a large percentage of a game would be performing above that frame rate target.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Steam Deck with smaller bezels on the screen. Get better placement of L1 and R1 that makes them easier to hit.

More powerful CPU for higher frame rates and better battery life. New one every 3-4 years seems good to keep pace.

Make the screen oled. Don't increase the resolution as it's currently fine, and frames>resolution.

Otherwise the deck is perfect for me.

Pagusas

Elden Member
its already been said, we need a Deck 2 with more power, its that simple. Right now the system is too under powered.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
its already been said, we need a Deck 2 with more power, its that simple. Right now the system is too under powered.
how's it underpowered?

Deck's power is perfectly fine for a system of its caliber. It can run many games at medium to high settings when at the highest wattage at decent framerates. Miles Morales for example runs quite peachy at 800p med settings.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Big Screen
Big OS
Pig Battery
Big CPU
Big GPU
Big A Button
0_wizard_switch.jpg

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Also, here's the GPD win mini.

Battery life sucks & screen is 1080p120hz but it is tiny, surprisingly so while having a 7840U in it. About as small as a N3DSXL

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Honestly not that into them. They're kind of just barely there in terms of playing new games and they're too big and battery hungry to be practical portables.

For me to get one it would have to be no larger than a Switch and considerably more capable. As it stands some steamlink and Game Pass streaming on an Android handheld gets it done well enough for me.

Mr.Phoenix

4090 in a handheld.

giphy.gif
What's funny about this, is that eventually, at some point in the distant future, this would happen. But at that time there would also be a 9090 or something. Which would be doing things that the 4090 in a handheld can probably only manage to do at 30fps at 720p.

Yup, that's tech for you.

Pagusas

Elden Member
how's it underpowered?

Deck's power is perfectly fine for a system of its caliber. It can run many games at medium to high settings when at the highest wattage at decent framerates. Miles Morales for example runs quite peachy at 800p med settings.
Agree to disagree, games like Jedi Survivor I've found nearly unplayable on it. BG3 looks incredibly rough on it. And I crave a bigger screen/less bulky design. The Deck feels and perforrmce like a 1st gen product, Its great for what it is and how its opened the market up, but it badly needs a Gen 2 to give us current and future AAA title support.

bender

What time is it?
I really, really like my Deck, but even with its' optimized experienced, it can be incredibly frustrating. I was playing Trial HD the other day and wanted to check out Trials 2. Browsing Steam, I noticed it had a demo. So I jump on my Deck and go to download the demo but I'd forgotten that you can't download demos without booting into desktop mode and grabbing them from Steam. Not the biggest hassle. Download the game, return to the default mode and boot the game up. only to discover no controller support and no community profiles (at least for the demo) before giving up. I've been on Steam since the beginning and some variation of this experience can be found more often than not for a lot of the older titles in my library. I'm not sure that's a problem that can be overcome but it does sour the experience a lot for me. And that problem is lessened the more modern the game is, but you do tend to run into performance problems on the other end of the spectrum. In my dream world, I'd have a more consistent/better experience across the board.

Crayon

I want Valve to get out that fucking SO3 general distro and for others to use it out of the box. I'm paitent but about to give up hope on that shit. At least they've been doing a great job maintaning the deck version.

Top Bottom