• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where does AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" land on your top 5 hard rock anthems?

KrakenIPA

"It started off from a little trick I had on guitar. I played it to Mal and he said 'Oh, I've got a good rhythm idea that will sit well in the back.' We built the song up from that. We fiddled about with it for a few months before everything fell into place. Lyrically, it was really just a case of finding a good title ... We came up with this thunder thing, based on our favourite childhood toy ThunderStreak, and it seemed to have a good ring to it. AC/DC = Power. That's the basic idea."
-Angus Young

For me personally this song is top notch. The intro that most all rockers attempt to imitate, most all musicians study to understand the craft of power chords, and most listeners are swept into the raging fire of hard rock. If this song comes on at the pub you just know that someone will be scrumming with the authorities as proof to their strength and courage before the night is over. Absolute legend track.

T8SC

The start sounds like Daft Punk - Aerodynamic. (Yes I know, this track came after).

Daft Punk - Aerodynamic is better.

It doesn't.
AC/DC is a horrible band and their vocalist is annoying.
I always change the radio station when one of their songs come on.

200.gif

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Great tune, but doesn't get anywhere near my top five hard rock anthems. Not even top ten.

Rat Rage

Gold Member
It's probably number five on my list. Everytime I hear the song, I want to dropkick someone into oblivion.

Dark Star

not a huge acdc fan tbh. it happened over time. I just heard those acdc songs wayyyy too many times for my liking growing up/in school/at sports events/etc

not sure what qualifies as a "hard rock anthem" but off the top of my head, considering the topic is a "classic" band like acdc, these are a good 5 for me:

the final countdown - europe
eye of the tiger - survivor
bad to the bone - george thorogood
born to be wild - steppenwolf
livin on a prayer - bon jovi

Last edited:
AC/DC is a live band, they kill it like no other. Any of their songs are top anthem worthy. As for Thunderstruck being #1? No, I have to put Queen - We Will Rock You as #1.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It depends on what you mean to be honest because that song is complicated for me lol

- Realistically? It is outside of the Top 5 for me. It is a great song with a fantastic hook and an addictive riff. You know the song as soon as it starts, but it does not have much in the way of historic significance in the genre. While being a great classic rock tune it is just another great classic rock tune.

- Personally? It is in my Top 3 because it is literally the song that got me into the genre when I was a kid. I was driving out to Lake Gibson (Oklahoma) with my uncle and the song came on the radio. He turned it up and got me to air guitar. I was 7. From that point forward I was obsessed with rock n roll as a genre. AC/DC, Motley Crue, Queen, Tom Petty, Hendrix, Judas Priest, Metallica, Guns n Roses, Bon Jovi, Journey, The Cult, Van Halen etc etc. All of it. From the cheesiest arena rock to the more hardcore stuff.

And it all started with that song. Because of Thunderstruck I grew up a Rock n Roll kid who drove to school blasting 70's and 80's music instead of the latest pop-culture trash from whatever the latest attention whore had put out. I would roll down my windows when I pulled into the parking lot my Junior year so people could hear whatever classic rock song was on. It was all on my Zune. (Yeah I had a Zune. Fuck off.) I wore band shirts almost daily. I was that guy. God the nostalgia is hitting me. Gonna go listen to that shit right now.

Last edited:

Winter John

Out of all the great AC/DC tracks that one wouldn't make the top 30. Every track on Powerage or Dirty Deeds craps all over that with zero effort. Listen to the brilliance of Sin City then listen to Thunderstruck. It's almost like they're a completely different band. The drop in quality was shocking after Bon died.

KrakenIPA

Out of all the great AC/DC tracks that one wouldn't make the top 30. Every track on Powerage or Dirty Deeds craps all over that with zero effort. Listen to the brilliance of Sin City then listen to Thunderstruck. It's almost like they're a completely different band. The drop in quality was shocking after Bon died.
Yeah, straight electric. I can't imagine humpin a 6-sting while crustini. Good dudes, all day.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
It's not on it. Is it great? Yeah. But there are better AC/DC songs and better rock songs.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
It doesn't.
AC/DC is a horrible band and their vocalist is annoying.
I always change the radio station when one of their songs come on.
You said AC/DC but I think you meant The Beatles.

Lanrutcon

Was actually listening to their discography the other day after jumping over from the Last Action Hero OS.

Some catchy stuff on there.

G-Bus

Banned
Not even close to a top 5. Very iconic song though.

There will always be a place on the playlist for AC/DC. Awesome band. Even managed to see them live. Couldn't believe Angus doing his thing at that age. Dude probably doesn't even think about it and it's pure muscle memory.

I don't think I've seen the actual video since the early 90s on MTV. And ya know what? They really HD'd the shit out of this video.

Anyway, loved that whole album.

I don't know about making my own Watchmojo top 10 rock anthems list, but I wouldn't complain about Thunderstruck being on the list.

Ionian

There's a dude who lives by me. plays 'Thunderstruct' like clock-work heading to to work. It wakes me and I beam with a smile despite being awoken, just a great song.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Nowhere, AC/DC are the pinnacle of dad rock.

Saw them in 2010, they put on a good show but didn't win me over.

Last edited:
I love the intro, but always found the body of the song boring.
As much as I love AC/DC, this is probably true for a lot of their songs, especially after Bon Scott died. (I am very biased and prefer the Bon Scott era to the Brian Johnson era. Don't @ me 😂).

Anyway, Thunderstruck -- especially the live version -- has one of the best, most hype intros of any rock song ever.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Dunno why but ACDC feels like an American stripper's club music to me.
That's Def Leppard. "Pour Some Sugar on Me" is the de facto stripper anthem.

Back on topic, Thunderstruck is outside my top 5 of all time and even outside my top 5 of AC/DC songs. One of the best openings to a song though!

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Huge fan but not top 5.

Side note, I remember my dad got a CD player like in 1991 and this was the first CD he bought.

NinjaBoiX

AC/DC are a cheesy band, not for me at all.

Same with bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica, it’s music for cornball boomers who think it’s “proper music” or some shit. It’s the sound of bullshit posturing to me.

I just find it all kind of cringe.

Last edited:
AC/DC are a cheesy band, not for me at all.

Same with bands like Iron Maiden and Metallica, it’s music for cornball boomers who think it’s “proper music” or some shit. It’s the sound of bullshit posturing to me.

I just find it all kind of cringe.
But at least there's no simping element like cringe-ass dudes with Hayley Williams avatars!

...they are kinda cheesy bands. Iron Maiden was always cheese. Metallica less-so but the trajectory they took once the 90s hit makes them the ultimate boomers. They still have some killer songs though.

Kadve

Gold Member
Nowhere. I don't like post 1979 AC/DC. Brian Johnsons voice makes my ears hurt.

Last edited:

farmerboy

Was Thunderstruck on the album Appetite for Destruction?

No?

Then it can't be the number 1 hard rock anthem.

Top Bottom