• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where does AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" land on your top 5 hard rock anthems?

not a huge acdc fan tbh. it happened over time. I just heard those acdc songs wayyyy too many times for my liking growing up/in school/at sports events/etc

not sure what qualifies as a "hard rock anthem" but off the top of my head, considering the topic is a "classic" band like acdc, these are a good 5 for me:

the final countdown - europe
eye of the tiger - survivor
bad to the bone - george thorogood
born to be wild - steppenwolf
livin on a prayer - bon jovi
they aren't hard rock lmfao.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It doesn't.
AC/DC is a horrible band and their vocalist is annoying.
I always change the radio station when one of their songs come on.
Right on point with you here. I used to give instructions on guitar theory about 15-years ago and the topic of AC/DC came up quite often with students who wanted to play that one riff from either: thunderstruck, back in black, even something as basic as Dirty Deeds. I picked up my guitar and said, "look at this..."

Basically what I told the student (bear in mind, this was an AC/DC fanatic): I want to show you some of the basic blues progressions on an acoustic guitar and let's wrap some of those around Major7th chords. Hammer on, open note, hammer on, open note, repeat until you've basically done nothing more than dismantle a scale start in the key of G and end on the 7th. Then, I pick up an electric and throw some distortion on and you're like "wow that's a rock solo!" Wrong. "Wow, that's an AC/DC solo." More wrong. That is a blues scale which can be interpreted into a blues "solo."

I recommended for complex country-blues solos they try listening to Eric Johnson. For a student, it's not hard to figure out and master AC/DC within a couple weeks or months. With a guitarist like Eric Johnson, for a virtuoso it will take about 3-4 years to get the hang of his blues dynamics. For the average guitarist trying to measure up to Eric Johnson...probably the rest of their life.

Bottom line, AC/DC has never been something more to me as a commercial band that can be played in the background of movies and by high school starter bands. I never met any adult guitarists who were big into playing AC/DC as the overall music lacks anything challenging.

No offense OP, to each their own but...they don't scrape the top-5 or top-1,000. I do have a top 1,000 because I listen to a ton of music.

Wildebeest

Bottom line, AC/DC has never been something more to me as a commercial band that can be played in the background of movies and by high school starter bands. I never met any adult guitarists who were big into playing AC/DC as the overall music lacks anything challenging.

No offense OP, to each their own but...they don't scrape the top-5 or top-1,000. I do have a top 1,000 because I listen to a ton of music.
Ice cold. On the other hand, you could take it as a lesson that the things which stand the test of time and public opinion are very often the simple things done well.

Right on point with you here. I used to give instructions on guitar theory about 15-years ago and the topic of AC/DC came up quite often with students who wanted to play that one riff from either: thunderstruck, back in black, even something as basic as Dirty Deeds. I picked up my guitar and said, "look at this..."

Basically what I told the student (bear in mind, this was an AC/DC fanatic): I want to show you some of the basic blues progressions on an acoustic guitar and let's wrap some of those around Major7th chords. Hammer on, open note, hammer on, open note, repeat until you've basically done nothing more than dismantle a scale start in the key of G and end on the 7th. Then, I pick up an electric and throw some distortion on and you're like "wow that's a rock solo!" Wrong. "Wow, that's an AC/DC solo." More wrong. That is a blues scale which can be interpreted into a blues "solo."

I recommended for complex country-blues solos they try listening to Eric Johnson. For a student, it's not hard to figure out and master AC/DC within a couple weeks or months. With a guitarist like Eric Johnson, for a virtuoso it will take about 3-4 years to get the hang of his blues dynamics. For the average guitarist trying to measure up to Eric Johnson...probably the rest of their life.
Not sure what the point here is. Are we supposed to rank artists by how difficult their songs are to play?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I honestly can't stand AC/DC mostly due to the vocals and the demographic that mainly listens to them around where I grew up. I understand that taste is subjective, so they may very well justifiably be some people's GOAT, but I could never stand them. Same for GNR. Zeppelin and Skynyrd? Now we're talking.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Not sure what the point here is. Are we supposed to rank artists by how difficult their songs are to play?
No, but a rock anthem if I'm defining as a musician would demonstrate much higher skilled music writing and/or composition. I did mean to make it sound like they're a terrible band. On the contrary, it does give a lot for beginning guitarists to work with. My point being, AC/DC is super popular but doesn't hold the credibility of being placed on a list of rock anthems or even top rock bands of all time as popular opinion suggests. This is just my overall insight and opinion.

Weird take as they're one of those bands born from live in person concerts. They fucking live and thrive on it. AC/DC aren't autotuning a pop song out of Fruity Loops or and streaming it on iTunes only while instagramming their asses and lifestyle. Pure old school rockers man. Commercial success is a by-product of killer concerts and anthem based rock not the other sell out way around.

It's cool if you don't like them but I feel you're mislabelling pioneers and foundational elements of rock bands. Anyone learning guitar has played AC/DC at some point. Most people have metal thrashed their head and sung along to the lyrics at some point in their lives too. If you've been to one of their concerts you've felt that crowd energy.

Susurrus

It doesn't.
AC/DC is a horrible band and their vocalist is annoying.
I always change the radio station when one of their songs come on.

Agreed.

AC/DC is way overrated. Vocalist's voice is way too screechy, and their songs are just the same thing on loop for way too long and their lyrics are all over the place.

Dr Bass

So glad you said it. Frankly I think their "music" is ridiculous.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
So glad you said it. Frankly I think their "music" is ridiculous.
Most are afraid to say it. I've met hard-core AC/DC fans who've admitted that they're not the greatest but they like them based on their own personal music preference. I can respect that. I listen to plenty of popular musicians that I would never deem as having a top 5 rock anthem repertoire. To be fair and let anyone have their go at me, I like: Neil Young, the Seekers, and XTC. Those are some of the more basic popular musicians I can think of that I listen to often and none really have a rock anthem. With Neil Young "Hey, Hey, My, My" lyrically is a rock anthem but musically isn't his best piece.

KrakenIPA

Thanks to all for responding, it seems most folks here think that AC/DC is dad-rock and do not believe "Thunderstruck" belongs in any top song list, let alone a top 5 hard rock anthems song list. Those people can kiss my grits, you know who you are, and you need to unbutton your top button cause ya gonna choke yourselves.

But I need to address this post directly:

Yeah, blues progression, G key, Major 7th. That's cool that you're teaching kids how to play music, but some people have a reason for not trying to learn music. I don't play music, and I'm damn sure not trying to 'master' AC/DC within a few weeks. No offense Happosai, but musicology isn't everyone's bag, and elbowing your expertise into a rock-and-roll anthem thread so you can display your delicate genius speaks louder than an amp turned up to 11. Thanks for the recommendation of Eric Johnson tho, I'll give it a search the next time I'm at the 'ol watering hole so maybe the local wasters can spill more prolific tears into their beers over the Cliffs of Dover. Wankers.

eNT1TY

Guess I'm a grit kissing hater cuz it's not even in my top 10. I bet you have a Van Halen song in your top 5 too...
I love both, just messing around.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Thanks to all for responding, it seems most folks here think that AC/DC is dad-rock and do not believe "Thunderstruck" belongs in any top song list, let alone a top 5 hard rock anthems song list. Those people can kiss my grits, you know who you are, and you need to unbutton your top button cause ya gonna choke yourselves.

But I need to address this post directly:

Yeah, blues progression, G key, Major 7th. That's cool that you're teaching kids how to play music, but some people have a reason for not trying to learn music. I don't play music, and I'm damn sure not trying to 'master' AC/DC within a few weeks. No offense Happosai, but musicology isn't everyone's bag, and elbowing your expertise into a rock-and-roll anthem thread so you can display your delicate genius speaks louder than an amp turned up to 11. Thanks for the recommendation of Eric Johnson tho, I'll give it a search the next time I'm at the 'ol watering hole so maybe the local wasters can spill more prolific tears into their beers over the Cliffs of Dover. Wankers.
The illustration I used was an actual experience I had teaching a kid AC/DC riffs back in like 2006. It wasn't directed toward you. As a musical fan you can put anyone in your top 5 list for rock anthems. I even jested myself regarding some of my own musical tastes in a separate post. The thread title is going to open the posts to various opinions and that shouldn't be too offensive. Some one with a negative opinion regarding AC/DC's star status or the elaboration of their musical knowledge isn't going to change your opinion. Apologies if it did come off as offensive. Many posters agree with you too.

Brigandier

I like it but not in my top 5 not anywhere near, I prefer Judas Priest, Led Zep, Maiden, Dio and Metallica over AC/DC.

Top Bottom