• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Setting would you like to see in a Big Budget-game?

Are video games' settings in general creative enough?

• Total voters
Draft us any setting you'd like to see in a big budget game!

Personally, I feel like for all the technological progress, games have been severely lacking in terms of creative settings. My dream of an Assassin's Creed-game set in a world that's completely crazy like ... set on top of a dead giant (Xenoblade-style), or portraying Peter Pan's Neverland, is still unfulfilled.

So what are settings you'd like to see? You can pick anything you like, location, time period, etc. and what gameplay style it should come with.

sublimit

Banned
The problem is not with the settings themselves. The problem is what most developers do with those settings. You can have a very unique game even in the most common setting. Like Demon's Souls for example.

With that said trully unique settings like those in the first Xenoblade are very rare and i would have liked to see more like that not only for imagination's sake but also for gameplay/story purposes.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
The planet Exodus :)
(From Prey 2)

I'd like to see an open world title adding a touch of dark fantasy to the Dark Ages. Fill in that unrecorded history with an unbelievable explanation as to why we have so few records.
Bruh, it was vampires. They took over the world for a good couple hundred years.
Nah, witches!
The Templars took over Europe with the Apple of Eden!

The Walled City of Kowloon is another I'd love to see. Would've been perfect for a Sleeping Dogs prequel.

Also, a winter apocalypse. Post-apocalyptic wastelands are my favorite thing ever, and when it comes to wintry wastelands there aren't much on offer. Frostpunk is all that comes to mind right now. Fallout's got winter mods as well.

A wild west-styled fantasy RPG would be totally killer. Gimme cowboys and dragons.

Last edited:

CrisPy2019

Ww2 Nazi Germany being the good guys and fighting evil allies and almost loosing. Opening a gate to a parallel world and basically ending up in the real worlds USA.

Getting hunted by the good USA as a Nazi spy. And almost a fight alternate Germany VS real USA but then at the last minute figuring out the games alternate Germany is good as is the real worlds USA. Then both teaming up and winning. Against fascist Germany and Evil USA+allies.

Would be interesting to see a Good Germany, playing as a German and showing that it could always be the other way around.

Last edited:
Ww2 Nazi Germany being the good guys and fighting evil allies and almost loosing. Opening a gate to a parallel world and basically ending up in the real worlds USA.

Getting hunted by the good USA as a Nazi spy. And almost a fight alternate Germany VS real USA but then at the last minute figuring out the games alternate Germany is good as is the real worlds USA. Then both teaming up and winning. Against fascist Germany and Evil USA+allies.

Would be interesting to see a Good Germany, playing as a German and showing that it could always be the other way around.

I like that a lot, wow.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Also, a winter apocalypse. Post-apocalyptic wastelands are my favorite thing ever, and when it comes to wintry wastelands there aren't much on offer. Frostpunk is all that comes to mind right now. Fallout's got winter mods as well.

Post-apocalyptic wastelands are my favorite setting too and a wintry landscape could be very interesting and different.

Post-apocalyptic wastelands are my favorite setting too and a wintry landscape could be very interesting and different.

Wasteland 3 then.

For me, I'd like a full on new EVO: The Search for Eden, like Ancestors but new with Fish/Lizard/Dinosaur/Mammal/early primitive hominids/neanderthal. Serious untapped potential in the modern gaming age.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m about to get that with the new Sakura Wars. It takes place 1940 Taishō period.

tz8RXe3.jpg

Project-Sakura-Wars_20190418_03.jpg

D4hKcS3UUAAm6OT.jpg

D4hKcrLU4AUuHyj.jpg

Something I'd like to play is a game where you explore space (full of awe-inspiring phenomenons), but with the ability to leave your spaceship and control a character. Important: the controls would be super accessible, closer to Mario Galaxy, rather than awkward, complex sim-controls. Being able to hop asteroids, approaching the surface of a star with full-charged energy-shields to protect yourself, getting close to a blackhole and throwing stuff into the event horizon. All with a nice-looking anime aesthetic and a good story.

That'd be nice.

Airbus Jr

Banned
A pirates game

Seriously il pay double to see a Pirates of Carribean videogame

Imagine an open world pirate game and playing as Jack Sparrow

Sea of Thieves doesnt count because its crap

A fantasy but grounded world in roughly a colonial/pre-industrial age. Don't go grimdark but don't go anime cutesy with rando-talking pet shit. Just make there be more colors than grey and brown and characters/location/set pieces are different and memorable.

I would just say Industrial but too many Devs would go obnoxious and clownshoes in the Steampunk direction. Yeah, no Steampunk.

Don't "Josh Whedon-up" plot and dialogue with quips and snark. Seriously, I am tired of that shit. I'd rather a game go for no humor than force it in a cringey way. Be funny with easter eggs in the background.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

I've always been a fan of historical settings, which is why I liked the Assassin's Creed games. Particularly from AC2 to AC4: Black Flag. I stopped at Unity because of the controversies with that game, but perhaps I should give the recent ones a chance though.

With the graphic processing power at our disposal, games have the ability to fully immerse you in a setting that is a 100 or a 1000 years in our past in a way a movie or a TV show can't. I liked western movies well enough, but I never got close to what it felt like to be a cowboy in that era until games like Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2.

reddeadredemption2-horse.jpg

I'm really looking forward to next year's Ghost of Tsushima. To be a samurai during the Mongol Invasions of the 13th century? Sign me up!

A-gameplay-trailer-for-Ghost-of-Tsushima-was-shown-at-E3-1377977.jpg

I would love a big AAA single player pirate game.
I loved Assassin's Creed IV, but I want more. A new IP would be ideal.

Norse/Viking and Samurai are already invading the market, so we are covered. Now it's time to explore different settings or genres.
I would love a WW1 big budget action game that isn't a FPS, for example.

Top Bottom