• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Cancelled Hyenas was ‘Sega’s biggest budget game ever’, it’s claimed

New alleged details on the development of Sega and Creative Assembly’s cancelled live service shooter Hyenas have been published, including claims that it was Sega’s biggest budget game ever before the company pulled the plug.

The Japanese publisher announced last week that it was cancelling the multiplayer shooter “and some unannounced titles under development” in Europe, following at least six years of development on the project.

Developer Creative Assembly has suggested the game was cancelled due to “ambitious” plans and high competition in the multiplayer shooter space.

However, a new video published by Total War YouTuber Volound – corroborated by VGC’s own sources – features claims from anonymous developers that a lack of direction, disruptive engine change, and overly-cautious design contributed to its downfall.

VGC has asked Sega for comment on this story.

One anonymous developer wrote: “So what went wrong? Total lack of direction, many of the leadership asleep at the wheel but they never seem to lose their jobs. An engine change, part way through the process. Attempting to break into a saturated market, and not committing to do anything adventurous with the game.”

Hyenas, or ‘Project Keaton’ as it was known then, was greenlit after the critical success, but commercial disappointment, of Alien Isolation, following which the Creative Assembly ‘console team’ delivered the work-for-hire project Halo Wars 2, which is also claimed to have sold modestly.

CA’s management wanted to create a console game with broader commercial potential, with Destiny, Escape from Tarkov and PUBG cited as inspiration.

The game was a PvPvE (Player vs Player vs Environment) shooter with support for up to fifteen players in teams of three. The goal of players was to break into vaults spread across the map, battling AI enemies as well as other player teams, looting merch and escaping the ship alive.

hyenas-new-york-a-768x432.jpg

“In the early days, Hyenas aimed for a ‘lovable rogues’ vibe, surviving in a messed-up world controlled by the elite, channelling Han Solo with a bit of Firefly for good measure,” one anonymous developer told Volound. “It sounded intriguing, but the details were vague. Earth was in ruins, the rich had everything, steal to survive, a gritty sci-fi setting with a touch of NASA.”

The game was originally planned to use the Alien: Isolation engine, but due to frustration with its tools, it was decided that the game would switch to Unreal Engine, which required a portion of the team to be temporarily moved to work on Total War.

In 2019, before Hyenas had been announced, Creative Assembly’s Twitter account posted a photo of Hollywood director Neill Blomkamp visiting its offices.

According to sources, the District 9 and Elysium director was a big fan of Alien: Isolation, and his trip to the studio was more than a social visit, as he was actually providing feedback on the game’s overall direction.

“He comes to visit the studio, and he’s shown what we’re up to,” one source told Volound. “He has some ideas of a direction to take it in, basically that you’re not stealing to survive, but Netflix/Steam/etc doesn’t exist anymore so DVD boxsets, music, games, all that physical media is now super valuable.”

This matched the synopsis of the game when it was eventually announced, which had players raiding huge ‘Plunderships’ on their way from Earth carrying valuable pop-culture relics such as old VHS tapes or vinyl records.

“He also had that idea of inserting a lot of internet humour and stuff,” the anonymous developer continued. “He even made a mood video to show what he was thinking, and to be honest after that period of ‘wtf are we doing here’, it was a real shot in the arm to have some DIRECTION (the project so often felt utterly rudderless).

At some point, Creative Assembly parted ways with Blomkamp and Hyenas was eventually announced during a live stream in June 2022. However, there was still uncertainty around the game’s direction and even its business model.

Hyenas was initially announced for consoles and PC. However, a year later, in summer 2023, Sega executives publicly called Hyenas’ development “challenging” and stated they would look at “adjusting” the game’s business model, possibly to free-to-play.

ss_10396500e961459e3c8301b9d878a2dd419d346f.1920x1080-768x432.jpg

After multiple closed Alpha tests for the game, sources claim that Sega wasn’t happy with progress on the title, with Japan providing more scrutiny over the project in recent months.

Sources also confirmed that while Hyenas was originally planned as a premium game, by the time it was cancelled it had transitioned to a free-to-play model with microtransactions, though very limited post-release support had actually been designed.

Hyenas is believed to have been one of the ‘Super Games’ Sega often referred to in its financial results: ambitious, big-budget titles it hoped would pay off with big sales in the future.

Sega claimed in November 2021 that it would consider investing up to ¥100.0 billion ($882 million) over five years to achieve its ‘Super Game’ ambitions, which would cover the development of multiple projects.

Although it’s not public knowledge how much Sega invested in Hyenas, former developers told VGC they believe it was the company’s biggest budget ever for a game, beating 1999’s Shenmue which was once claimed to have cost around $70 million.

“I forgot to mention that Hyenas was Sega’s biggest budget game ever,” an anonymous developer also told Volound. “Towards the end, there were people from Sega Japan more or less permanently at the UK office, this has NEVER happened the whole time l’ve worked at CA, they occasionally came to visit and check how a game was looking but as I said previously, generally hands-off.”

Ima2Fs9.png

The developer concluded by saying they weren’t angry with Sega for cancelling Hyenas, but expressed frustration that, as a result, Creative Assembly was making layoffs across the studio, allegedly including departments who had no involvement in the multiplayer shooter.

“I’m not angry with Sega for cancelling, to be honest, I firmly believe it only would’ve lost more money otherwise. They’re typically a light touch publisher, I guess because, in the past, the studio has been so profitable, I fear those days are now over, but we’ll see.

“I’m angry with the shit leadership, and for the people above them for not dealing with them. I had hoped that maybe after Hyenas flopped we could be kept on at CA if the next project was another nice low risk contract job like HW2, but most of us are likely being made redundant and I’m ok with that really.

“What I’m actually furious about is that the redundancies are affecting people who had nothing to do with Hyenas. Like IT, operations, marketing, HR, even some people over on TW, they bear no responsibility for this binfire.”

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
really? i watched a few clips over on Angry Joe and it looked generic as fuck, i mean proper cut and paste elements and thrown together... how was this expensive?

MiguelItUp

What's sad is what I played didn't feel like it amount to any of that whatsoever. It was overly obnoxious (bad Borderlands-like writing, humor, etc.), not fun to play, and just felt like it was the result of spaghetti being thrown at the wall hoping something would stick. I think that's why it went in the direction it did. The combat was boring, generic, and just not fun. It felt like no amount of that kind of effort was put into it.

Last edited:
SEGA collapse when? Because I'm ready for Kadokawa to acquire all of Atlus and combine the powers of Souls and Persona franchises (and bring back games like Catherine).

Ribi

If that's the best they can do with money, who tf is supporting Sega? Just a few years ago everyone hated them, imo they're a mid af company.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Good... seems like a mediocre uninspired project by the looks of it, would have been canned sooner or later. Hopefully this is a sign to SEGA and other jap companies that GaaS isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Eh, tax write off, lessons learnt, etc.

Not the end of the world.
And they won't even put a tenth of this budget in a proper Panzer Dragoon game.

To be fair, if they did, people that liked the old ones would say it was crap if it was too different and people would say it was old fashioned if it was too similar. Bit of a poisoned chalice.

nikos

The game was a lot of fun. Latest beta actually felt really good to play.

The licensed SEGA stuff was cool but didn't make or break the game at all. It's a shame to see it go.

near

Gold Member
Didn't this already enter beta phase? Weird. I guess Haven Studios can lay their cards now.

cireza

To be fair, if they did, people that liked the old ones would say it was crap if it was too different and people would say it was old fashioned if it was too similar. Bit of a poisoned chalice.
Pretty sure people loved Streets of Rage 4 and Sonic Mania and they were done with a ridiculously low budget.

SEGA can't always count on the fans to raise the bar, they have to put in some effort as well.

People will say the new games are shit if they are GaaS though. And that will be deserved.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
People will say the new games are shit if they are GaaS though.
There are some GaaS that are actually decent though like Street Fighter 6 and Gran Turismo 7. Even Fortnite is fun if you ignore the cosmetics bullshit and terrible Battle Royale mode. It's just that many japanese companies (and companies in general) think that GaaS doesn't require an original concept or an interesting gameplay loop, that as long as they follow trends they will succeed. That's simply not how it works, you need to create the trends, not follow them.

When you make generic uninspired shlock like this, Fairgame$, Saints Row, etc.... expect to fail and flop.

Last edited:
Feels like the return of the PS360 days of everyone and Japan killing themselves in a desperate chase of Calladooty money...

Stop it while you can, it's not gonna work, don't be a Jim Ryan.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Pretty sure people loved Streets of Rage 4 and Sonic Mania and they were done with a ridiculously low budget.

SEGA can't always count on the fans to raise the bar, they have to put in some effort as well.

People will say the new games are shit if they are GaaS though. And that will be deserved.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood the tone of your post, I thought you were saying something like "why didn't they talk all this money and put it into PD?" which isn't what you'd said.

But yeah, if they can turn a profit on SOR4, et al. Then on the face of it, it does seem silly to not service those fans.

I didn't mind the beta and sort of wish the game had made it out. All that said I can't help but feel the team would have been better off making a FPS horror game

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What do you mean 64 ? Honest question bro !

I mean, it's not like MS can take away BC from X/S series consoles, unless you mean something else.

Cheers
Not that many people own Xboxes so the BC thing is only applicable for a select few, on console anyways. And judging by the current state of Xbox it doesn't seem like they're going to be lasting for much longer if they continue with their current plans. Even if Xbox weren't in the state they are now, having a proper remaster of a cult classic be exclusive to just ONE box through BC is pretty annoying.

Sega should release a remaster of their own on all platforms.

Last edited:

Dane

CA is having a shit time right now, Total War keeps selling but there's not much hype for Pharaoh apparently, especially with Warhammer 3 having such a shit show post release updates and content including raising prices. Few years ago it was the most or second most profitable studio at Sega.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For something like Panzer Dragoon. An updated game for modern day in the same vein would be a budget kind of game. Not $70.

So do what other game companies do. Update it. Fallouts changed from turn based isometric mouse clicker to 3D moving. GTA was 2D birds eye to 3D.

Turn Panzer Dragoon into an RPG, who knows. Change Golden Axe into an adventure game. They already changed Shinobi into a 3D game action game during the PS2 days and I think it scored well.

Neff

Hi Sega. I will formulate a high-concept multiplayer game for you in the vein of Splatoon, Smash Bros, Rocket League, Fall Guys etc and tell you to populate it with well-known, well-loved legacy Sega characters instead of insufferably charmless try-hard over-designed purple circus clown gun people so this doesn't happen again.

Feels like the return of the PS360 days of everyone and Japan killing themselves in a desperate chase of Calladooty money...

Word. It's eerily similar.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Hi Sega. I will formulate a high-concept multiplayer game for you in the vein of Splatoon, Smash Bros, Rocket League, Fall Guys etc and tell you to populate it with well-known, well-loved legacy Sega characters so this doesn't happen again.
Multiversus did exactly that but with even more recognizable characters than any of Sega's most popular... it still flopped

you're gonna need more than that

Neff

Multiversus

Multiversus was just Smash Bros but nowhere near as good. So yes I agree there's more to it than just characters. They need a good idea and it needs to be executed well. But ignoring characters from IPs which have decades of exposure seems far less risky to me than populating an expensive new game with this roster of marketing-fashioned 'how do you do fellow zoomers' rabble.

MrA

Banned
For something like Panzer Dragoon. An updated game for modern day in the same vein would be a budget kind of game. Not $70.

So do what other game companies do. Update it. Fallouts changed from turn based isometric mouse clicker to 3D moving. GTA was 2D birds eye to 3D.

Turn Panzer Dragoon into an RPG, who knows. Change Golden Axe into an adventure game. They already changed Shinobi into a 3D game action game during the PS2 days and I think it scored well.
Panzer dragoon already was an rpg, and it was glorious

You'd think with fire emblems current popularity sega would try leveraging their own waifu bait filled srpg series,

The game was originally planned to use the Alien: Isolation engine, but due to frustration with its tools, it was decided that the game would switch to Unreal Engine, which required a portion of the team to be temporarily moved to work on Total War.

So that's why Warhammer 2 enjoyed such fabtastic support!

Meanwhile, Capcom is in the right direction with most singleplayer games. Exoprimal has failed miserably and I hope they give up on the live-service model for any future project.

Holammer

MS dodged a bullet by not acquiring Sega. *phew*

sega should make a sonic moba, lol.
That could almost work? Except there aren't enough characters in the Sonic Universe and Sega won't touch the comic book stuff with a ten foot pole, with VERY good reasons.

Top Bottom