• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which so called “GOAT” level game had the most annoying fans/hype cycle/discourse?

Most annoying fans/hype?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeOf9

In the last one year we’ve had not one, not two, not three, but four separate games that were apparently God’s gift to mankind and that fans would not stop talking about to overwhelmingly annoying levels.

All these games are good! But their fans were so obnoxious with how and the extent to which they talked them up any discussion around them became invariably toxic

Which of these “greatest game ever” candidates had the most annoying fans/hype cycle?

LakeOf9

Gonna go with Elden Ring. From fans take the extreme hyperbole of every other fanbase combined, through in some Nintendo level “From invented everything” nonsense, add on some good old fashioned toxicity on top, and then also insist every other game that isn’t exactly like a From game is bad (while mocking and criticizing any other game like From games not made by Miyazaki).

Amazing game. Awful fans.

Soodanim

I voted Tears of the Kingdom, but what I actually mean is just GigaBowser GigaBowser
Happy Gilmore Win GIF

It may well be Elden Ring, but the fanbase seemed a bit better than Souls used to be and I was too busy playing it to see the peak hype

All of them have obnoxious fans... The games should not be looked down upon because some people lack a better purpose in life.

Raven117

Breath of the Wild. The way they claimed "this is simply the best game ever made" was cringey as fuck. And the arrogance in which they said it.

TotK actually seems a bit better (and its a better game).

Starfield already getting called goat level without being out is kinda crazy ngl
Hopes and dreams have been hung on that game. GOTY & GOTG before any gameplay footage... just Todd Howard quotes. I think it's going to be a pretty damn good game, but I don't think it'll get that fair of shake because of some of the fans and how defensive they get when anything other than shining praise is spoken about it.

I've taken a sit back and wait approach, I find I've enjoy video games more that way.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
None of those. The Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption are far more annoying, especially since the latter plays like shit.

LakeOf9

No, we're just excited about a game coming out. You're the one who must be really sad if you feel the need to attack us for being mad hyped.
Who’s the “we” you’re talking about?

All four of those games I named are in my top 10 games ever made (or everything except starfield which isn’t actually out yet). I’m extremely excited and happy for all of them. I find the fans obnoxious because they shove these games down everyone’s throat more than a Jehovah’s Witness missionary with a daily quota to meet.

Pedro Motta

Starfield for sure. Lots of fake hype and forced interest. Still going to play it tho, hope it's really good and not another fake good like Halo Infinite.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Who’s the “we” you’re talking about?

All four of those games I named are in my top 10 games ever made (or everything except starfield which isn’t actually out yet). I’m extremely excited and happy for all of them. I find the fans obnoxious because they shove these games down everyone’s throat more than a Jehovah’s Witness missionary with a daily quota to meet.
chess-chess-club.gif

dottme

Starfield, feels artificially forced

Don’t recall any of those other games getting so much spam threads
I feel I’m going to never want to play Starfield just because of the fanbase.

Edit: and it’s not a neogaf issue. On X i start to block them because it’s unbearable the number of stupid tweet they can output.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
All these games at least (well, dunno about Starfield) have fantastic gameplay and are some of the best in their categories. RDR2 and TLOU though? People will talk your ear off about the characters, the writing, the emotions they felt, and a bunch of shit and gloss over how well these games play. When you actually get to playing them, you fall asleep before even getting to the good parts.

TLOU at least has a really solid multiplayer mode which shows that the gameplay is competent but held back by the excessive storytelling and walking sections. RDR2 is just a turd. Phenomenal tech though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom