• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which upcoming free to play shooters are you looking forward to most?

Which upcoming free to play shooters are you looking forward to most? (pick two)

• Call of Duty: Warzone 2 - It's Warzone

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • The Division: Heartland - Darkzone style mix of PVP and PVE modes

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • The Finals - Four teams of three with Battlefield style destruction

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • Gundam Evolution - It's Overwatch with Gundams

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Shatterline - COD clone that also has a roguelike mode

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Overwatch 2 - It's Overwatch

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • xDefiant - Ubisoft's COD clone with hero shooter elements

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Hyenas (not announced as free to play, but would you even for free?)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Something else that you didn't list that I'll post about below.

Votes: 9 13.0%

• Total voters
Which upcoming free to play shooters are you looking forward to most? It seems there's going to be a lot of competition in this genre fairly soon, so I thought it might make an interesting poll. I tried to only include games that will be getting a multi-platform release, so that no game has a disadvantage there. Are there any big titles I missed?

Some videos for the less-known games:

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
I want to check out The Division Heartlands because it features PvE.

The Finals looks interesting.

But I don't play multiplayer games anymore. Don't have time to 'git gud' as a family man.

Banned
I was going to play Overwatch 2, but after the announcement that people will need to unlock characters I will ignore it like it doesn't exist. that shit will ruin the game instantly and goes directly against a core design principle of the game.

the only ones that vaguely interest me is Gundam and The Finals

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
None of the games listed in the OPs poll look much more than "treading water" type games. It's mostly first wave BR and arena shooters that won't last. I guess If forced to choose, it would be Heartland or Arc Raiders but that's because we haven't seen too much from either.

Still anticipating the big leap to come in 2023+2024.

All of them are quite off-putting to me.

Great contribution to the thread, I know. You're welcome.
I disagree. I've posted a poll, so of course I'd like to see what people think. You posting here still bumps the thread, so I would say that is a contribution.

Are you not a multiplayer fan in general, or do you just not find any of these particular titles interesting?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I disagree. I've posted a poll, so of course I'd like to see what people think. You posting here still bumps the thread, so I would say that is a contribution.

Are you not a multiplayer fan in general, or do you just not find any of these particular titles interesting?

I don't like F2P (except when it's only for cosmetic items with ZERO P2W, like Rocket League), but I'm also not really a fan of arena shooters. Plus these games very often have an art style I just hate.

GeekyDad

Free to play?

Joe Biden Lol GIF

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don’t do free to play games even being big fan of Gundam series, I want proper SRPG in Gundam universe rather than free to play nonsense.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The Division Heartland is F2P?
Well there goes another game added to my list.
Ill atleast give it a go and decide if I like it or not.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Shatterline is fun. It's really Black Ops 4 kinda with own load out with weapons.

I can't stand hero shooters with locked weapons. Often becsuse I like heroes with boring weapons.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I have been playing for almost 2 years now, Hanzo main on DPS, Winston/Reinhardt on tank, Zenyattta/Ana/Moira on support, if you need any of those heroes backing you up, I can.
Oh boy i'm not that good or engaged to have particular requests about team formation.

I just play to have fun, i don't care what character you use.

Fuz

Banned
I want to try Gundam, sooner or later.

Not really interested in the rest of them.

And fuck overwatch 2.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I know you putting the option of "LOL F2P Peasant's" would have resulted in 95% of the votes going to it... but I kinda wanted to see the results and can't without lying and voting for something that doesn't intrest me.

No joke I took last week off Just for Gundam Evolution and had already uninstalled it by the first day of release on Thursday the week before... I played more of Battle Alliance instead.

F2P just makes me sad, it's all the same... not in terms of genre or game modes but how they feel to play, and that constant nagging to spend.

Last edited:

radewagon

"Free to Play" single handedly ruined what could have been a pretty neat mobile gaming market.

No thank you. You can keep your race to the bottom.

Free to play?

Joe Biden Lol GIF

Free to play:

Games are constantly adding new content to keep their customers interested.
Any of my friends can join me online without needing to purchase the game.
If a friend stops paying for Xbox Live Gold or PS Plus, they can still play online.
Many titles offer cross-play, as there's even more incentive to support it.
Most of the successful free to play titles on console don't have pay to win elements, especially games focused around PVP.

Yeah, there are downsides, but there are a lot of advantages as well.

I know you putting the option of "LOL F2P Peasant's" would have resulted in 95% of the votes going to it... but I kinda wanted to see the results and can't without lying and voting for something that doesn't intrest me.

If you keep voting hidden, I think it encourages people to actually vote and not just see what everyone else said. But there's enough people who have voted now, so I went ahead and edited the poll so you can see the results without voting.

Fbh

I might try Overwatch 2 if some friends want to play.

But the only one I'm looking forward to is the Finals, the destruction looks really nice

Top Bottom