• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who else is playing Dragon Quest Walk? I spent 3 days walking around Tokyo and I can't stop playing this fucking game.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
(Dragon Quest Walk is basically Pokemon Go, but with Dragon Quest. It's only out in Japan for the time being)

I met a girl in Tokyo who is into Dragon Quest, and she told me to install this new game so I can play it with her. I didn't like Pokemon Go because it wasn't really like Pokemon, but Dragon Quest Walk is actually like the game. You walk around the world, encounter monsters, battle, and level up just like in regular Dragon Quest. Because of that, and because I wanted to spend quality time with this cute girl who likes games, I decided to install it and give it a shot.

I ended up spending 3 days with her playing the game and walking all over Tokyo. Sometimes even riding a loop tour bus for a while just to encounter monsters faster. (You can buy an all day ride bus pass for $5 in Tokyo).

I'm now back in the states, and am sad because I can't do any quests or fight monsters because the game isn't supported anywhere else but Japan. I can get the daily login bonuses though and check my gear. (I actually did find a way to do quests though, but it's complicated so I won't get into that here)

(Dragon Quest Walk trailer)

I also just saw on Youtube that there's a guy who played it who has English translations over the gameplay videos, which is very useful if you don't know Japanese.

Is anyone else here playing the game? If there's anyone who's in Japan and wants to try the game out but doesn't know Japanese, just ask here and I can help you out too. If you're a beginner and trying to learn Japanese, this game is great because so much stuff is written in hiragana. If there's enough interest, I guess I could also write a mini guide to help people who are just starting out too.

We had sex

Phase

mrw-i-fart-in-a-meeting-and-everyone-is-looking-around-the-room-to-see-who-did-it-83993.gif

I kid. That sounds pretty cool though.

ExpandKong

Banned
The last time I got laid as a direct result of playing a video game, it was a Silent Hill game. The resultant relationship was fittingly a waking nightmare.

A relationship based on Dragon Quest sex would probably fare better GOOD LUCK OP

Game sounds neat.

Kumomeme

this is how pokemon go 'should be' ..instead of just go out throwing ball, let us be proper trainer, had proper battle, level up etc.

either way at same time its sounds like OP want to show off that he got cute girl friend who love dragon quest lol

nice sharing btw

Last edited:

HoldSteady

Neo Member
Oh to be young and find a cute girl who plays video games. The dream. Before I knew it, I was 41 and married with a wife that merely tolerates the fact that I play video games. Don’t end up like me OP. Chase after her. Tokyo is a fantastic place. Start an adventure.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Where's Japan GAF at?

The game is still a lot of fun, even though I'm running out of ways to get free gems. I'm loathe to spend real money for surprise mechanics. Alas, I won't be spending as much time in Japan this time as I had hoped, and it'll be back to the drought.

Fake

Thats 'why' PS4 need a Dragon Quest Monster game.
I used to love the game on Nintendo DS. They could reuse the recent Dragon Quest for make a monster game.

I have to play mobile games to hook up with cute Japanese women? I'll take the bullet.

Or is the Dragon Quest the deciding factor? Was Maddox right all along?

G1VJewi.png

Last edited:
Where's Japan GAF at?

The game is still a lot of fun, even though I'm running out of ways to get free gems. I'm loathe to spend real money for surprise mechanics. Alas, I won't be spending as much time in Japan this time as I had hoped, and it'll be back to the drought.

Waiting on coe/visa nonsense. If all goes well ill be there in a few months.

Nice! I hope you have a good time. It's a great country.

Yea Tokyo is my favorite city in the world..been there 9 times since 2004. Finally was able to land work there after years of pursuit in the game industry. Just trying to get passed the coe part because a lack of degree, im on the second application with immigration now...i got the job in February and ive worked remotely since June....japanese immigration is terrible.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yea Tokyo is my favorite city in the world..been there 9 times since 2004. Finally was able to land work there after years of pursuit in the game industry. Just trying to get passed the coe part because a lack of degree, im on the second application with immigration now...i got the job in February and ive worked remotely since June....japanese immigration is terrible.
Congrats on landing something in a field you love. Yeah, immigration can be a pain, but keep it up and keep your nose clean :)

I played about 5 minutes to satisfy my wife's curiosity. Maybe I should play some more.

Theres a pokemon go hot spot right next to my house. People gather there. Most seem to be in their 50s. Don't play pokemon go either so I don't know what's so great about that spot but I see people walking around holding 7 phones. Seems like serious business.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thanks to Rentahamster Rentahamster for pointing out the monsters now spawn in the US.

I have this installed now and I'm muddling through it with my (admittedly not that great) Japanese. So far, I'm loving this game and it definitely feels like it has more going on for it than Pokemon Go.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Thanks to Rentahamster Rentahamster for pointing out the monsters now spawn in the US.

I have this installed now and I'm muddling through it with my (admittedly not that great) Japanese. So far, I'm loving this game and it definitely feels like it has more going on for it than Pokemon Go.
How is it going? Do you need me to explain anything about how the game works or what you should be doing?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How is it going? Do you need me to explain anything about how the game works or what you should be doing?
I think I have it figured out - my biggest hurdle is that there are no "points of interest" here in my town / county / (country?) on the map so placing quest waypoints is a tedious process since I can only place one quest waypoint "manually" once per day - which makes for some slow going. I figured out today that I can use Chimaera wings to place quest markers manually, but it seems the only way I can obtain those is with the blue walk tokens. (500x = 1 item). So that should speed things up a bit as I can usually do 10,000 steps per day (400 tokens) and 25+ battles for the other 100. Which gets me up to being able to do two quest missions per day which is still going to be slow going. I saw that some quests also give you these items so that's good too. Also there are no "light points" / "item points" here either, so that also puts me at a disadvantage (though not as much).

I'm level 9 now and I've been grinding the available monsters + monster "souls" / coin thingies and have a pretty good character set up. In about a week or so of playing every day it looks like I'll get new party members to join me, and that will help.

I did a couple of gacha pulls and got the heavenly / Zenethian shield which is dope as hell. I did another pull and got another 5 star shield that will probably come in handy when I get multiple party members. I did the 2019 new years(?) mission and got the 5x free pulls and got some somewhat decent 3* equipment (in addition to a cool 4* whip that lets me attack all the monsters at once). One thing I'm kinda peeved about is that I can't seem to purchase the Gold "walk passes" since I don't have a Japanese Play Store account - even though I have plenty enough crystals earned in-game. If I could, that would make getting more Chimaera wings a lot easier.

So yeah - overall I'm doing pretty good with the game. Even with the huge hurdles, I still love it and I've been logging in every day to get my daily bonuses (in addition to getting 10k+ steps per day to get free walk points). It's also motivated me to want to go on long walks and hikes with my lady

We have sex

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I figured out today that I can use Chimaera wings to place quest markers manually, but it seems the only way I can obtain those is with the blue walk tokens.
Don't use those for wings. Use those to get tickets for more gacha pulls.

Also when you place a quest, make sure to go to the placement screen, then walk to where you want to place the quest, then place it right on top of you so that the quest location pops up on you, and the monsters should spawn right next you. If you're lucky you can kill one or two groups (or all of them if you're really lucky) before they vanish.

For your gacha pulls, save up your gems and only do the 3,000 gem pull. You get extra bonuses that way. For example, if you do 5, on the 6th pull you get a guaranteed 5 star item.

We have sex
Hell yaaaaaa

ethomaz

Banned
I did like Pokémon Go but it felt like a wasted potential too lacking so much RPG features.

Maybe this DQW is better.

jshackles

Don't use those for wings. Use those to get tickets for more gacha pulls.

Eh I think I'd rather be able to do two extra quests for 1,000 coins than have one extra "free" gacha pull, at least for the time being. As it is, it's going to take me nearly two weeks to finish Chapter 1 of the story mode without Chimaera wings. Advancing the story seems like it unlocks stuff like extra party members and higher level random monsters which I would definitely like - right now to get to level 9 I've killed hundreds of slimes and drakees.

I would definitely save them for gacha if I could place my quest points on the map normally (like I've seen some people in Japan doing on Youtube videos) because otherwise it seems like the limiting factor in advancing quests is just the blue gems you get - which I currently have 500/500 banked and no way to spend them.

I did like Pokémon Go but it felt like a wasted potential too lacking so much RPG features.

Maybe this DQW is better.

This game has tons of better RPG features than Pokemon Go. The biggest thing is that the battles are actual turn-based affairs similar to the Dragon Quest games themselves. The game also features equipment that updates your stats and gives you new abilities. Later on (after unlocking more of the story mode) you can have your characters change job classes so that you can build the best team for battling. Fighters, battle masters, wizards, and clerics are currently available and they'll probably be adding more later on. You can "collect" new DQ monsters in your sticker book which tracks how many you've killed of each type and gives you bonuses and have AR placement for cool photos. Eventually you can unlock giant monster battles that can test your high level characters.

By contrast Pokemon Go has... catching different Pokemon. Doing raid battles if you have friends. Walking around and maybe encountering something new between catching your 1,000th pidgey.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Eh I think I'd rather be able to do two extra quests for 1,000 coins than have one extra "free" gacha pull, at least for the time being. As it is, it's going to take me nearly two weeks to finish Chapter 1 of the story mode without Chimaera wings. Advancing the story seems like it unlocks stuff like extra party members and higher level random monsters which I would definitely like - right now to get to level 9 I've killed hundreds of slimes and drakees.

I would definitely save them for gacha if I could place my quest points on the map normally (like I've seen some people in Japan doing on Youtube videos) because otherwise it seems like the limiting factor in advancing quests is just the blue gems you get - which I currently have 500/500 banked and no way to spend them.
Ah, I can see your thought process here. You guys should just take a quick couples trip to Japan lol. I can tell you how to ride a cheap sightseeing bus and level up super fast haha.

Top Bottom