• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whose MGS "trilogy" was superior, Big Boss or Solid Snake?

Solid Snake's Trilogy or Big Boss's Trilogy?

• Solid Snake (MGS1, MGS2, MGS4)

Votes: 142 70.0%
  • Big Boss (MGS3, MGS PW, MGS5)

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • Raiden (Persona 4 Arena, Wonderful 101, Superhot)

Votes: 9 4.4%

• Total voters

KOMANI

KOMANI
I knew this war would come up. So POPS (love calling it that) is not entirely canon, while being not entirely not canon. It has bits and pieces of canon taken from it (like the San Hieronymo incident being a thing; Peace Walker actually confirms that it DID take place). And in Metal Gear Solid 4, they do take some parts of the game and throws it in there.

I don't think the game is ESSENTIAL, but you cannot discard it as it does have some part of the lore in tact.
the game is no longer essential because all its story points are summarized in mgs4. Many people learned your support team from MGS3 were the Patriots from hearing Eva tell you in 4, not by playing PO. BUT, up until PW, PO was considered canon and essential by the team themselves. My argument isn't if it's canon or not, it's that it's not a spin off, and major plot points are carried over to the later games. A game that features a lot of the characters from MGS3 and handled story beats the other games follow cannot be labeled as a spin off. It, unlike ALL the spinoffs, has the SOLID title.
I am not the canon police. What someone wants to add/subtract to their head-canon is their thing entirely. But saying that the character Big Boss only has 2 games whereas Snake has 3 (which is wrong too) and mislabeling PO as a "spin off" because wiki told him (Wiki also had Donald Trump listed as part of MGS1's development team) is wrong.

tl;dr: there are the games Kojima directed and the ones he didn't. What people decide is canon is up to them. But Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops isn't a spinoff.

Thabass

Gold Member
the game is no longer essential because all its story points are summarized in mgs4. Many people learned your support team from MGS3 were the Patriots from hearing Eva tell you in 4, not by playing PO. BUT, up until PW, PO was considered canon and essential by the team themselves. My argument isn't if it's canon or not, it's that it's not a spin off, and major plot points are carried over to the later games. A game that features a lot of the characters from MGS3 and handled story beats the other games follow cannot be labeled as a spin off. It, unlike ALL the spinoffs, has the SOLID title.
I am not the canon police. What someone wants to add/subtract to their head-canon is their thing entirely. But saying that the character Big Boss only has 2 games whereas Snake has 3 (which is wrong too) and mislabeling PO as a "spin off" because wiki told him (Wiki also had Donald Trump listed as part of MGS1's development team) is wrong.

tl;dr: there are the games Kojima directed and the ones he didn't. What people decide is canon is up to them. But Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops isn't a spinoff.

Let's put it this way, if Kojima says it's a spinoff. It's a spinoff.

I'm not sure if you'd call it a spinoff though. So I'm not even going to make the arguments. It's really up to the creator of the series / games to decide.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Gotta go with Raiden on this one. I mean Persona Arena is the only good Persona, SuperHot is Super and is very Hot, and I'm unsure if it's possible to dislike Wonderful 101.

Raiden is best naked sword boy confirmed.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
hqdefault.jpg

Solid Snake easily. One good BB game, two good SS games. Easy winning. MGS3 is good, but it's still at about the same level as MGS1. Honestly, it's probably slightly below MGS1. MGS1 is a marvel in overall consistency.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Let's put it this way, if Kojima says it's a spinoff. It's a spinoff.

I'm not sure if you'd call it a spinoff though. So I'm not even going to make the arguments. It's really up to the creator of the series / games to decide.
right. but there is no quote calling it a "spin off". there's one for MGRR. not for PO.

MG3 is the GOAT but as a trilogy, Snake's is better. Especially if you stop it at Ocelot's scene with "Snake had a hard life" and skip the Big Boss stuff.

Self

still think MGS2 was Kojima's best work ever, really ahead of it's time

This comes up regularly and I wonder why. MGS2 is a MGS1 clone with a lack of interesting characters and a really fucked up over the top story. Kojima stories are always kind of cringy, but this one takes the cake.
Personally speaking, it's the worst of em all. Well, apart from MG5 obviously :D

I vote for Solid because of MGS1 beeing a revolutionary masterpiece and MGS 4 beeing a underrated grand finale.

MG3 is a masterpiece hands down. But Peacewalker and Mgs5 drags it down for me.

Bartski

Gold Member
This comes up regularly and I wonder why. MGS2 is a MGS1 clone with a lack of interesting characters and a really fucked up over the top story. Kojima stories are always kind of cringy, but this one takes the cake.
Personally speaking, it's the worst of em all. Well, apart from MG5 obviously :D

I vote for Solid because of MGS1 beeing a revolutionary masterpiece and MGS 4 beeing a underrated grand finale.

MG3 is a masterpiece hands down. But Peacewalker and Mgs5 drags it down for me.

dunno, I played them all but subjectively that one impressed me the most. in 2001 it was a proper next-gen take on the formula rather than a clone. I'm sure there is nostalgia at play here but it was the first PS2 game I played on this brand new borrowed future technology console and I thought at the time it looked absolutely mind blowing.
I always thought of Kojima's games as the excellence of gameplay design paired with horrible writing (with IV and V at cringe overkill levels), but with MGS2 that was shortly after 9/11 when conspiracy theories were going rampant giving its plot a good landing zone on my 19 year old chronic pot smoking brain and I remember liking it a lot

Top Bottom