• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are so many acting like every gaming company is up for grabs after the Activision deal?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
More of this will happen because we're entering an era of severe inflation. They need to spend their fiat money on things that have intrinsic value.

Warablo

More of this will happen because we're entering an era of severe inflation. They need to spend their fiat money on things that have intrinsic value.
This is a huge part of it. A lot of these companies with billions in the bank are actually losing money if they don't find a asset to invest into.

reinking

Gold Member
Sounds like MS beat Amazon and Apple to the punch to get Activision.
The Internet is really going to implode when a big gaming co gets bought out by said Amazon or Apple.
Why should they implode any more than MS buying them? People act like MS is some indie publisher here to save us all. Look at their history. They are as cutthroat as any other big company. Before you say Game Pass, fans of Apple or Amazon has their reasons for liking those companies. People need to stop acting like billion dollar company A cares more about them than Billion dollar company B. We're one of millions of numbers with a dollar sign attached. That is all they care about.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Because they are, to an extent. At least the chances of these publishers' willingness to be acquired increased as a direct result of increased valuations. Large, legacy publishers such as Ubisoft and are worth more than they were last week. That is tempting for shareholders.

Activision was sitting on cash, which to me signals they were having difficulties trying to figure out where to invest, aka out of ideas for innovation. If you can't put capital to optimak use as a company, you're better off selling to someone who apparently can, and at a good price.

Chukhopops

The ironic thing is that with the Activision deal any company which may have considered selling is now going to ask for a lot more, whoever the potential buyer (or buyers) is.

That’s why my guess is nothing will happen in the immediate future. Only company I could see being sold is CDPR, due to its stock situation (still far below end of 2020).

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Activision were appealing to MS for a bunch of reasons, and I suspect that although the CoD business was a part of it, Blizzard's presence in the PC space and even more King's mobile properties were the things that drew their interest the most.

MS needs mobile properties so they can better dictate terms to Apple and Google. Imagine what happened with Fortnite going on with Candy Crush, CoD mobile, and Minecraft... that's a lot more leverage.

Lunarorbit

Companies have been circling ubisoft for the last decade and Yves has fended them off. There was a hostile takeover attempt a few years ago.

Instead of acquising to vivedis hostile take over then struck a deal and tencent and the Ontarios teachers pension fund now both have 5% ownership but no seat at the board.

This shit is real. It might not happen right away but developers get purchased regularly. Look at Embracer group.

So there's your answer op. This shit can easily happen to any publicly traded video game company.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Because most people dont actually know how businesses work, but like to talk out of their asses.

bender

What time is it?
Counterpoint: yes it is. It's not new, but has been increasing recently.

Yep. The scale is just changing as a bigger Shark! Shark! has entered the pond.

Hopefully these acquisitions turn out better.

8a9.jpg

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Why should they implode any more than MS buying them? People act like MS is some indie publisher here to save us all. Look at their history. They are as cutthroat as any other big company. Before you say Game Pass, fans of Apple or Amazon has their reasons for liking those companies. People need to stop acting like billion dollar company A cares more about them than Billion dollar company B. We're one of millions of numbers with a dollar sign attached. That is all they care about.
Like them or hate them, Xbox has been a console for 20 years. People have been in their ecosystem for 20 years. If Amazon buys someone like Capcom or Square - fans would be forced to enter a brand new ecosystem and console/cloud/whatever their future game system is. People would go apeshit if something like Square games were only on Amazon's gaming platform.

Activision wasn't actively looking for a buyer. Microsoft came to them first. Activision was the biggest and most profitable out of all of them a nd they still went ahead and sold. Why? Because they're well aware of how fucked the AAA industry is.

You're kudding yourself if you believe the likes of Ubisoft and the rest aren't in the same boat.
What's this then?

Because it's all fair game now. Gaming industry has reached some sort of critical value and caught the attention of big money planners.

MS making acquisitions like no tomorrow and Tencent quietly trying to buy all the things that aren't nailed down. These companies want content that only they control, and that they see all the profits from.

People say that Sony doesn't need to make a splash buy, but they really do. Not panic mode yet but Sony should look into a company that fits their business.

reinking

Gold Member
Like them or hate them, Xbox has been a console for 20 years. People have been in their ecosystem for 20 years. If Amazon buys someone like Capcom or Square - fans would be forced to enter a brand new ecosystem and console/cloud/whatever their future game system is. People would go apeshit if something like Square games were only on Amazon's gaming platform.
Couldn't the same be said for fans of Nintendo or Sony if MS buys them and makes them exclusive? Before team green gets butthurt I'm only using MS as the example.

ViolentP

A lot of the commentary regarding the Activision deal is ridiculous.

Just because Activation was looking to be purchased doesn't mean every gaming company is suddenly on sale.

These companies are not going to get bought up unless they want to sell. Activision was actively LOOKING for a buyer.

Nobody is going to waste their time and money trying to pull some hostile takeover like Vivendi did with Ubisoft for those years and failed.
Why do you think these companies exist? If you guessed to generate revenue you'd be right. Now if a company offers you more money than you're valued at or surpass your projected profit path, the wise business choice is to sell and rebuild if you are interested in remaining a player.

That being the case, everyone is for sale. Question is, what's your price?

cireza

Most companies are interested in preserving their corporate culture and maintaining complete financial and creative control over their business.
Every public company is available for sale. Once public, they don't get to decide anymore. If a company wishes to keep control, it has to stay private.

Last edited:

jakinov

The better question is why does everyone think that becoming a monopoly is a good thing for the gaming industry.
No. The better question is why do people think buying a company that accounts for less than 5% of global gaming revenue is becoming a monopoly!

Megatron

Because we don't have any idea who wants to sell. Nobody knew Activision wanted to sell a week ago. Nobody knew Bethesda wanted to sell a year and a half ago.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Why do you think these companies exist? If you guessed to generate revenue you'd be right. Now if a company offers you more money than you're valued at or surpass your projected profit path, the wise business choice is to sell and rebuild if you are interested in remaining a player.

That being the case, everyone is for sale. Question is, what's your price?
Iwata: *laughs*

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It's because it's a quantifiable resource, and until this current console gen, apparently no one thought of it. In a console war, proponents on either side are usually limited to three specific arguments: level of hardware tech, sales/users, and exclusives. In other words, this adds another easily measurable criteria to stack defenses. Maybe Nintendo sells the best, maybe Sony has better exclusives, but now my team wins because they own more studios. Bread and circus. War has changed.

The Shepard

The ironic thing is that with the Activision deal any company which may have considered selling is now going to ask for a lot more, whoever the potential buyer (or buyers) is.

That’s why my guess is nothing will happen in the immediate future. Only company I could see being sold is CDPR, due to its stock situation (still far below end of 2020).

CDPR have zero ips to there name, just licences. Who's going to buy them.

ViolentP

Iwata: *laughs*

Nintendo can be bought. Don't fool yourself. Question is what's the price.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Just in general. Whether it's entertainment industry, defense industry, etc, you have periods of acquisitions that end up favoring the top dogs who can afford to compete.

Just look at Disney buying Marvel, Fox, and Star Wars. It's now nearly impossible to compete with them for film/tv.

Look at cable companies who have been merging/buying out smaller companies for decades. Now you pretty much only have a handful of companies.

Gotcha! Yeah you're right. Sony's strategy will be VERY interesting to watch considering they can't compete "money-wise" with MS when it comes to M&As. To me PSVR2 has become 500% more important to Sony and the Playstation business. It's a place that MS hasn't touched and is a clear differentiator.

Lunarorbit

Nintendo can be bought. Don't fool yourself. Question is what's the price.
I don't think Nintendo could be bought. It's a Japanese icon and I imagine their board doesn't have any intention of being sold. If you think the vitriol over abk is bad there would probably be legitimate violence in Tokyo if they sold.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief

Absolute madman.

Warablo

The thing about Amazon or Google buying a bunch of devs is that they could enter the game then quit years later and all those devs and IP's are lost.

At least with Microsoft you know they won't leave the video game business.

I never saw the appeal of Sony buying japanese developers. They already get the majority of their purchases on Playstation.

Last edited:

FStubbs

I realllllly doubt Apple was interested in Call of Duty. It doesn't go with the brand at all.

Nintendo, maybe.
Funny you say, that. IIRC Xbox was Microsoft's Plan C to get into console gaming. Plan A was to try to buy Nintendo and Plan B was running Windows on Dreamcast.

Last edited:

Brofist

There will be more consolidation this is for sure, but the speculation is getting pretty dumb.

I do like how people think that Sony will just make a spite multibillion purchase out their ass though just for the sole purpose to get back. Sounds like a fanboy wet dream.

This move by Microsoft will spur a frenzy.

I see Sony making a big purchase 4 months from now (that usually how long these things take).

Buying EA or TakeTwo.
Then spinning out the sport games sector of the business as it’s own company. Adding the San Diego Studio. Sony remaining as a significant investor, perhaps at 51%. Either end up being named 2K or EA games, depending on which studio they end up purchasing.

With rest of the studios joining Playstation studios.

I see them buying/merging with Nintendo, not to combat Microsoft. But to combat Tencent and Meta. Making a formable opponent in Japan against all these tech giants.

Please explain how the #3 company is a monopoly.
This is silly. Zenimax Media and Activision Blizzard make a large portion of Playstation’s profits. All these games sell more on Playstation. Microsoft has already stated they will make portion of their content exclusively for xbox. Sony will have to fill in that gap.

This is monopolistic behavior. But no they arent a monopoly. But I doubt they would be able to purchase another major publisher.

Deerock71

When you outright buy the company that has the top-selling game year-in and year-out, every other company starts to look like a bargain.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Because it's all fair game now. Gaming industry has reached some sort of critical value and caught the attention of big money planners.

MS making acquisitions like no tomorrow and Tencent quietly trying to buy all the things that aren't nailed down. These companies want content that only they control, and that they see all the profits from.

People say that Sony doesn't need to make a splash buy, but they really do. Not panic mode yet but Sony should look into a company that fits their business.
No they don't.

The could just build their own studios and make games like GOT that sold 8 million copies on one platform instead of spending 5 billion on a company like Capcom (who wouldn't sell anyway but for the sake of discussion is in Sony's price range) just so they can get the rights to a couple frachises that sell over 5 million on multiple platforms.

It makes no fucking sense.

MS's limitless pockets and big buy here have driven everyone mad.

Last edited:

Neo_game

Bethesda deal was a big surprise I think but the Activision deal and sent a shock wave. IMO this is not good for gaming or for that matter any big corporation buying IP and swallowing smaller one. But it is common practice. Microsoft has way too many Game Studio now they just need to manage them. I think they have more than 30? So I guess in next 5yrs they will release 30 games. Not sure why would they need more ? Sony and Nintendo have around 15? which is not bad either.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Because it seems every major tech company is rushing to help craft what the Metaverse will be, and for some part of that strategy involves gobbling up content creators of all kinds.

I thought they discussed it pretty well in this podcast (sadly no transcript) :

Last edited:
Top Bottom