• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did people stop using Roman names for children?

JordanN

Banned
We still use roman numerals and certain phrases but you know what's really missing? Using actual roman names.

Seriously, there's a list of names from thousands of years ago that are 100% pure chad energy.

Imagine waking up tomorrow and your name is Gaius Octavius? Or Septimius Severus? You would feel like you're ready to conquer the world.

Are modern people just uncultured or lack the capacity to pronounce these names?

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
I don't know man.... "Gaius" sounds something that could easily be turned into something more....."bullyable" in middle/high school
That's when you hire legionnaires to protect you at all times.

8aGk7u1.jpg

Last edited:

Thurible

I'd be cool with some roman names, though certainly not the names of some of the cruel emperors during the persecution (I mean calling a kid Nero or Calligula would just be awful). I probably would personally go for names from saints or people from scripture. For instance, I love the name Naomi for a girl. It feels pretty and exotic and Naomi was also the mother in law of Ruth and loved her despite her being a foreigner.

For a boy however I would very much try to name them after my Dad (I actually share my father's name as the second and the hypothetical son would be the third). It would be a nice way to honor him and perhaps create a naming tradition of sorts.

HE1NZ

Banned
There's plenty of Latin names. They just don't use it in pop culture because they don't sound Roman, they're too common. So they use weird ones like OP mentioned.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Names are a reflection of the culture and in North America there is a culture of religious protestantism. The top boys names reflect this.

Beyond this, there is a tendency to choose names that are softer, shorter and less masculine so a lot of the classical names are off the table. Hercules, Zeus, Maximus, Maximillian, Hieronymus, Thaddeus, Cornelius switched out with names like Todd, Kyle, Mason, Jordan, Brayden and Tucker.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Transformers names would be better!

Optimus/Rodimus Prime, Shockwave, Megatron, Devastator, Grimlock, Ironhide, Unicron ....

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Before all these new names came around that randomly end in "-en" or some kind of "ey" sound, the vast majority of people were named after Biblical figures.

Most of the famous Roman names predate Constantine therefore those names were generally associated with pagans. Maybe if Roman style suffixes like "-us" come back in style then we could see more.

I genuinely think they're both trying not to die of laughter right there

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'll do you even one bigger OP. Why can't we go back to worshipping Roman gods?

dhglYDm.jpg

Now we're stuck with this lame abrahamic shit. "turn the other cheek" lol gay.

genjiZERO

Not sure what you mean. Roman names are still super prevalent. Marc, Paul, Lucas, Mary, Lucy... all Latin names.

Last edited:
Latin names? They're still here, though they've been modified through the centuries, even in Italy.

And about phrases and expressions, the first time I heard sub pöena in a legal drama (Law&Order) I had to turn subtitles on because that was so far from its actual pronounciation I didn't know what the actor was saying...beside the fact that even in a legal system still based on the ancient Rome's one, it's not what that document is called.
But I digress, actual Latin names? Nah, their modernization is good enough.

JJMC

Neo Member
Could it be that you're just in the wrong part of the planet for those kinds of names? I've heard variations of Marcus, Cornelius, Julius, Caesar, Constantine, Maximus, etc; hell I have Constantine and Maximus in my closest friends group.

EDIT: Same with Hadrian, Antoniuous, Aurelius, Marcian and Theodosius.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Those names don’t fit with the typical soft western boys. You’d need to go back about 40 years before we became low t. Kind of like German names, too masculine. Needs a den at the end. Braden, Jaden, Aiden.. those names fit the new model kids.

Last edited:
Top Bottom