• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do I go back and rewatch old shows instead of watching new ones? Am I alone in this?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’ve probably watched some shows in their entirety like 5 times, while being far behind in shows I am genuinely interested in. I’m currently binging Sons of Anarchy for maybe the 3rd time. I want to watch Mayans. But then a few minutes ago, I realized I want to watch Lost again, maybe for the 3rd time as well.

What’s this about?

natjjohn

I’ve probably watched some shows in their entirety like 5 times, while being far behind in shows I am genuinely interested in. I’m currently binging Sons of Anarchy for maybe the 3rd time. I want to watch Mayans. But then a few minutes ago, I realized I want to watch Lost again, maybe for the 3rd time as well.

What’s this about?

You’re falling into the being old trap of just watching stuff you already know. Super common and been happening for decades

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Dunno, you might be a weirdo
Kristen Bell Idk GIF by Team Coco

Meicyn

Gold Member
I bounce between old and new. Old because it’s comfort food, but there’s good stuff still being made. Severance on Apple TV was really good.

violence

Old stuff is comfort food like the other poster said. With video games, I would probably play counterstrike and nothing else if I let myself.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Not at all. That's all I do. I rarely watch any new films (unless its something like Killers of the Flower Moon, an actual film) and I havent had cable in 15 years.

It's either 70s, 80s, and 90s classics or The Wire, Deadwood, Breaking Bad and True Detective S1 on repeat

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I bounce between old and new. Old because it’s comfort food, but there’s good stuff still being made. Severance on Apple TV was really good.
I do watch new stuff too, but like another poster said, the ratio of old and new is probably 8:2. I did watch Severance and thought it was amazing. Same with Ted Lasso. But, going back and watching The Sopranos, or The Shield is something I want to do before starting something new again, lol.

*Nightwing

All media is generally a product of the time it is created in.

Contemporary times focus on issues and emotional impact rather than good logical continuity based storytelling as old shows and movies generally focused on in the past.

If you want quality written stories well written and made that are also entertaining, you have better chance encountering it by looking at media that was created in a time that focused on producing that.

If you want mindless superhero movies with awesome set pieces despite not having a logical continuously logical story, modern media is your jam.

natjjohn

All media is generally a product of the time it is created in.

Contemporary times focus on issues and emotional impact rather than good logical continuity based storytelling as old shows and movies generally focused on in the past.

If you want quality written stories well written and made that are also entertaining, you have better chance encountering it by looking at media that was created in a time that focused on producing that.

If you want mindless superhero movies with awesome set pieces despite not having a logical continuously logical story, modern media is your jam.

That’s just not true. Tons of great stuff right now, everywhere.

Old people have commonly spent a large amount of time consuming media from
When they were younger.

I do it too!

GymWolf

No.
I have the final seson of better call saul, last 2 season of cobra kai waiting for me and i'm rewatching old stuff at the moment.

Sometimes you have to be in a specific mood for something.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
finished breaking bad again a couple weeks ago 3rd or 4th time its easier for me to re-watch shows/movies than slowly watch/learn new content which kinda feels like more work haha. streaming companies just need to produce quality content at a steady pace no need to rush anything there a lot of ppl like me that most of the time just rewatches older classic content i rarely watch new stuff except in drips here and there or i schedule it on my day off maybe I can watch a lil bit of something new everyday im not interested in absorbing new stuff fast i'm going to go slow and at a steady pace growing up and in school ur just rushed to absorb too much info it makes learning not enjoyable if I'm absorbing something new I'm going slow. im extremely picky with which movies, shows and games i consume now cuz i gotta consume it slowly or not at all

Tams

Nah, I can't really stand rewatching most stuff, especially films.

Some comedies are my only exceptions, and often only the odd episode. And for some reason James Bond films

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Try Gangs Of London if you haven't seen it. Relatively new and it's great.
I have watched it. Well, the first season.

That’s my other problem. I start new shows, love them, then never go back. I watched the first season of Killing Eve, never went back, despite loving it.

MastAndo

Nope. Currently on my 4th viewing of Curb Your Enthusiasm. I've watched most of my favorite shows at least twice, some more.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Its partly getting old, and partly because everything is fucking trash nowadays. back in the day, premiere tv channels used to have quality shows you wouldnt get on network and cable tv. you paid an extra $20 for showtime and hbo and got something decent every few months. nowadays, everyone charges premiums and produces the same network tv trash none of us cared to watch.

i cant tell you how many disney and netflix tv shows i tried watching and couldnt last more than a few episodes. now i dont even bother and watch old stuff instead. been burned too many times.

i actually havent finished a single tv show all year. waiting for house of dragon and euphoria season 2. there is nothing else to watch.

movies though. i still enjoy. not marvel trash. just whenever i do get a chance to watch something new, i end up enjoying it. mostly because i choose to watch movies from directors i like so they end up being at least watchable. But its very hard for me to put something new on. i swear i have turned into my dad.

Artoris

Gold Member
I think we had some amazing shows from mid 1990 to about 2016, but now even the few which are watchable are still not as good as they used to be

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
The media doesn't change, but you bring a new perspective to it over time, which can make them "new" again.

For example, watching Malcolm in the Middle as a kid versus at 30 years old is like a totally different show. You might go from thinking the mom is a tyrant to being very sympathetic. Stuff like that.

Krathoon

There is a lot of old campy stuff that amuses me. You rarely get a really silly show or video game these days. Everything has to be dramatic and serious.

I really need to play through the Command and Conquer: Red Alert series.

Krathoon

I just bought the Ace Ventura movie collection because it has that infamous trans joke in it.

I was worried they would ban it at some point.

Last edited:

jonnyp

What’s this about?

Because the quality is not what it was, going the same way movies have been for years.

Krathoon

I miss the 90s. The comedy was great back then.

You still have some comedians that don't follow the PC movement.

Krathoon

It is like that recent Southpark episode about Disney+.

They are pandering to the audience. They dare not offend or alienate anyone.

Then, they end up alienating the largest demographic.

Pejo

I'm rewatching House currently on Amazon, and it's almost shocking how good the writing/acting/concepts are compared to modern day drivel. Even the later seasons which I considered "not as good" at the time, shits all over the modern panderverse shows.

Also gonna rewatch Supernatural (until season 6) soon, and my friends have been telling me to watch Firefly for years, so I'm finally gonna give that a go.

My gf requested that we rewatch Season 1 (Eccleston ver.) of Dr. Who as we were both huge Dr. fans that have been absolutely crushed with how awful that show has been the past few seasons.

Krathoon

Yeah. The female Doctor Who just had to be gay for Yaz.

We also find that out just before she regenerates.

E-Cat

You watched the old shows when you were younger, hence happier. You're feeling happiness when you're watching them again due to nostalgia, and over time this becomes your only way to feel happiness.

sharp weiner

Neo Member

What’s this about?
Donate that brain to science!

Let me hypothesize….do you have the opposite of ADHD?

Attention Surplus?

MayauMiao

Sometime I watch old shows but never really paid attention to it. Mostly when I do some work, the old shows serves as background noise.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Old shows just had better actors, it didn't feel like they treat you like an idiot, and could tell a coherent story in 42/22min.

I returned to Golden Girls and it's really amazing.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I generally watch older (pre-2015) stuff then the newer stuff because I believe they are better and more enjoyable.
Obviously this isn't disregarding all new shows & films.
I definitely think late 90's to early 10's are the golden age of Television.
Better Acting, Writing, more likable characters, better Music and even the use of mainstream music and the cinematography is years ahead compared to most modern stuff that has a higher budget and ironically less episodes.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Because it's comfort... You're familiar with it, therefore no chance of being disappointed.

I go back to watch Star Trek and Avatar and some others... But I also am willing to try new shows. I'm a forward thinker so I'm not afraid to be disappointed in a show. I can always go back to an oldie but goodie or try something else I've never seen before.

Top Bottom