• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do I go back and rewatch old shows instead of watching new ones? Am I alone in this?

KrakenIPA

I would watch Seinfeld anytime any place any episode.

On topic: Don't fall in love with a character archetype! Exploring other shows and movies that you might like is great, but it's hard to sift for the good stuff. Keep sifting!

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I think generally speaking that it's a fairly small pool of titles that get recommended for a rewatch. There's just not that many shows that are truly exceptional - there can't be, by definition.

We recently have been watching Frasier, which is one of the most celebrated and lauded sitcoms of all time and I think it's absolutely worth the praise. By comparison it's quite easy to say that "the old stuff is better" when you're comparing the greatest shows of all time with run of the mill stuff. But it's worth taking a look at what else was on during this golden age of tv. While Frasier was on tv, "Jenny" was released. I had never heard of it before today when I looked on IMDB for something from the same period that, to be honest was poorly rated. "Jenny" starred Jenny McCarthy in an IMDB 4.3 rated show that lasted for 17 episodes. I watched the first 18 seconds of it on YouTube before turning it off. Sorry Jenny.

I can imagine that if you had found yourself watching Jenny, not Frasier, you might be saying that everything was better when Hill Street Blues or MASH was on tv.

So, while it may seem that everything is now Jenny, while in the past everything was Frasier. The truth is that hardly anything is Frasier, because even back then, some things were Jenny.

The only problem is finding out what the current Frasiers are and not making the mistake of watching a Jenny and thinking that's all there is.

Also, as others have said - watch Severance!

Top Bottom