• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't more video game adaptations utilize animation?

With a GOW adaptation being announced I wonder why don't more video game adaptations utilize the animated medium to tell their story? With Arcane, Castlevania, Cyberpunk, Injustice and more, it seems that animation is a better format for adapting the video game medium than live action. I would love to see studios like Mir, ufotable, Madhouse and Mappa take their talents to tell the stories of popular video games if an adaptation must be made. I think its best to leave them alone, but if they're going to be , do it in the best medium to adapt unique stories.

Fbh

I 100% agree animation is better for most game adaptations, you can do so much more with the same budget.

But live action has always had a wider appeal and more "prestige".
I can tell my dad or my non gaming friends to check out this new HBO show based on a videogame and they might actually watch it, but I know if I tell them to check out a "cartoon" based on a game most won't bother.

Its the same with awards. Winning best animated show/movie is cool but it's not as prestigious as winning best regular movie/show

Doom85

I agree that high budget animation would be much better and easier to adapt than live action, they could even use the same voice actors. But how else would Tom Holland get casted?

Tom Holland has already been in two animated films: Spies in Disguise and Onward.

Edit: and The Secret World of Arrietty!

Last edited:

Graciaus

You can reach a much larger audience by being live action. Most will never even try something animated unless they already watch anime.

Top Bottom