• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Hero *just* now coming out in theaters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
wasn't hero made like, 2 or 3 years ago? Why are they just now getting around to releasing it in theaters?

I have not seen the movie, and I have read some pretty negetive coments around here about how the movie is a wannabe CTHD, but I saw the trailers for it and it looks like it's gonne kick ass! What is so wrong with this picture? Jet looks badass in it.

Boogie9IGN

They're just gettin to it cause it was originally made in China and a bunch of shit happened in order to bring it here.

Hero is fucking great though, I have the DVD and it's much better than CTHD, IMO (And I loved CTHD).

pnjtony

Yeah, it was a pretty sweet flick. I'm hoping they keep it with just subtitles and not dub dialog.

You should check out Battle Royale as well. I'm sure there's a buncha people here that have already

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Although there was apparently some sort of political and/or legal wrangling that held it up, you can thank Miramax and the fucking Weinsteins for at least some of the delay, if not the majority of it. They're notorious for buying the rights to films - foreign and otherwise - and then sitting on them for ridiculous amounts of time, cutting them to hell, or burying them entirely, leaving interested viewers no choice but to import or pirate copies.

bjork

We just got in some director's cut or something that's got an extra 20 minutes of footage. I assume that's the same one that'll be out here?

Jim Bowie

Meh. It took Shaolin Soccer two years to get over here after it was released on DVD in Asia.

Nobody slam Shaolin Soccer. It was rad, even if you don't like soccer (e.g. me)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I seem to remember seeing a theatrical trailer for this a few years ago.. there was some very CTHD looking movie that I saw an ad for and then never heard anything else..

fart

Savant
Guzim said:
Thank Quentin Tarantino for convincing the Weinsteins to leave the film uncut.
much as i hate him, i am thankful he did so. now to watch it on the big screen...

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
bjork: The US is getting the original 90-odd minute version, which is far more enjoyable than the extended cut. There's really nothing new added into the longer version, just, quite literally, extended portions to a handful of scenes. Shots linger, fights have more running and jumping around (complete with horrible, nonsensical editing in one), stuff like that. There isn't a single new line of dialog that I noticed. The whole thing really drags with that additional footage.

Stooge: That was probably Zu Warriors (?) you're thinking of.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I saw Zu Warriors and it rocked!

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
What exactly is Quentin Tarentino's invovlvement in the movie? I heard he directed it.. but that can't be..

AeroGod

Hitman said:
What exactly is Quentin Tarentino's invovlvement in the movie? I heard he directed it.. but that can't be..

Weinstein put his name on it to help sell tickets. It was one of the deals in bringing it over, that his name be on it to help box office numbers.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
AeroGod said:
Weinstein put his name on it to help sell tickets. It was one of the deals in bringing it over, that his name be on it to help box office numbers.

So he had nothing to do with the production or direciton of the movie?

I'd love to know why Vincenzo Natalia's movie "Cypher", which is his follow up to Cube hasn't been released in theaters in North America yet. Miramax supposedly owns the distribution rights and the movie is said to be really good.

miyuru

He's just more or less financing bringing the movie to America right?

I'm really sure he had nothing to do with the actual movie, it's originally from China IIRC, in Chinese, etc...

I think it's also China's most expensive feature ever.

AeroGod

Hitman said:
So he had nothing to do with the production or direciton of the movie?

No he just thought it was cool and asked that it be brought to America. THey did, but he wanted the uncut version for America. They agreed, and what they got out of it was permission to put his name on it. QT didnt have anything ot do with the making of Hero, its just thanks to him its coming to theaters here in the states.

pnjtony

Tarentino has nothing to do with the actual movie...only promoting it in the US market. Doesn't mean it's not sweet though.

Especially the caligraphy scene.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'll probably see it again in theaters just for the fight scenes alone. Didn't really care much about the plot, but it's still a movie worth watching.

'Fucking Miramax'

You guys should all see The Emperor and the Assassin (Jing ke ci qin wang). Hero is a pseudo-remake/vfx-fest version of it, and it's damn great itself.

Boogie9IGN

metsallica said:
You guys should all see The Emperor and the Assassin (Jing ke ci qin wang). Hero is a pseudo-remake/vfx-fest version of it, and it's damn great itself.

Yep, that movie was great, kinda the original Hero

karasu

Weinstein didn't slap tarantinos name on it. Miramax was involved with Hero from damn near the beginning. The original release was cut, even in China, thanks to the heavy hand of Miramax. They've had it on their shelves forever, Quentin fought for it's release, and since Miramax is "the house that Quentin built", Weinstein can't say no. So it's finally being released, presented by Quentin Tarantino. It would of been released earlier had Tarantino chosen to delay Kill Bill 2, but thankfully he didn't.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Aw, you poor Americans. Even though Europeans get your action flicks some lightyears later, at least we can get decent foreign/arthouse movies on-time and uncut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom