• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Component Video Help (Everything is Green/Purple!)

I've had this Wii since launch, and over the years I've tried using four different component cables for it (two official, two third-party), and I always get this result no matter what. The latest one I bought was from Radio Shack yesterday, and it has a switch to use it on PlayStation 2/3, Wii, and Xbox 360. It works fine with my PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360, but the Wii still gives me the same crap I got years ago. I know for sure the issue isn't the cables, since I've tried four of them over the last six or so years, on two different TVs, and I got the same problem. I've been stuck with composite forever.

I've been thinking about trying S-Video (which I've been using for almost everything else), but I never got around to it since the Wii was my brother's, and he didn't want to bother trying. He got the Wii U recently, so he transferred everything over and gave me the Wii, so I figured it was time to try and really solve this.

I figure the problem has to do with the pins on the Wii's video output, but I have no idea how to check it all out and figure out the problem. Someone on Facebook said that he thinks it's not outputting red, and that's why I'm getting this.

I don't suppose anyone here can help me with this, can they? I've been searching online for answers for years, and all I could find was a small number of people bringing it up, and getting no answers on how to fix it.

Here's some pictures of how it looks:

OEn3T70.jpg

z7PgVCb.jpg

0L1iCg3.jpg

Please help me say goodbye to composite forever, people of NeoGAF!

Make sure the green/blue and red/other red cable are actually in their proper place. I used to do this all the time by accident.

Yeah, it looks like the content that's supposed to be blue is actually green. As everyone else has said, you probably flipped the Y and Pb cables by accident (they are green and blue).

Make sure the green/blue and red/other red cable are actually in their proper place. I used to do this all the time by accident.

Pretty much this. Double check your Green and Blue. Can be an easy mistake to make.

Yeah, it looks like the content that's supposed to be blue is actually green. As everyone else has said, you probably flipped the Y and Pb cables by accident (they are green and blue).

Thanks, but I know it's not that, I've already checked. Everything is connected right, and I've tried four different cables over the years. This new one works with the PlayStation 2/3 and Xbox 360, and those are displaying colors properly and look great, so the cable nor how they're connected is the problem, which I mentioned in my original post.

Haha, what the...? Hah. Nice.

Just looking at the screenshots I'd have said cable colour problem. But the story about you using different cables and TVs (and these cables working with other systems) makes it really confusing.

Likewise, I don't know enough but the internal video out of the Wii (where does it handle the conversion etc) to tell if the problem is internal to the Wii or something simpler like dirt of the wrong bit of the plug. It would be interesting to know if was ever dropped with or without the cable plugged in...if the cable is a bit loose try shaking it (just to see what it does to the picture) etc...

Just looking at the screenshots I'd have said cable colour problem. But the story about you using different cables and TVs (and these cables working with other systems) makes it really confusing.

Likewise, I don't know enough but the internal video out of the Wii (where does it handle the conversion etc) to tell if the problem is internal to the Wii or something simpler like dirt of the wrong bit of the plug. It would be interesting to know if was ever dropped with or without the cable plugged in...if the cable is a bit loose try shaking it (just to see what it does to the picture) etc...

The Wii has never been dropped or anything, if that's what you meant. I've tried shaking/moving the cables around, but that does nothing. :(

I got a flashlight and looked at the connecters on the Wii, but nothing seems to look odd...but, then, I can't say I'm an expert on pin positions or anything. Heh.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
OP, you aren't per chance plugging the cable in the composite port on the tv (yellow, red, white), are you?

Are you using some kind of switchbox or is it connected directly to the TV?

I've tried both options with my Wii, on two different TVs, with four different cables, and they all had the same problem.

OP, you aren't per chance plugging the cable in the composite port on the tv (yellow, red, white), are you?

I'm 100% sure I'm not plugging it into the composite cable port. Like I mentioned in my post, everything else besides the Wii is working fine. I have a PlayStation 2, Xbox, and Xbox 360 that work just fine via the component port. The latest cable I'm using with the Wii also works with the PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360, and those work fine with it, and it has a switch so it's made to work with all three at once. I had the same color issue with two official component cables from Nintendo, on this TV and another.

Thanks, but I know it's not that, I've already checked. Everything is connected right, and I've tried four different cables over the years. This new one works with the PlayStation 2/3 and Xbox 360, and those are displaying colors properly and look great, so the cable nor how they're connected is the problem, which I mentioned in my original post.

Maybe your TV is set to display RGB over component and not Y/Pb/Pr?

PS2 I am pretty sure supports RGB over component (in the BIOS menu you'll see the option), and I imagine that Nintendo consoles don't (but I never checked).

Dwayne

Most likely the cables are faulty? you could probably pull one of the three colours out and it wouldn't make a difference.

Most likely the cables are faulty? you could probably pull one of the three colours out and it wouldn't make a difference.

I doubt four cables in a row (two being official) would have the same problem. That'd have to be the some insanely bad luck. :/

Also, like I mentioned before, this exact same cable that I'm currently using works fine on the PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360.

Thanks anyway, though.

THE:MILKMAN

I've tried both options with my Wii, on two different TVs, with four different cables, and they all had the same problem.

The only thing I would suggest (that you probably have already tried!) is deliberately switch all three colour coded RCAs. Try different combinations or even try plugging one in at a time?

Otherwise I'd say its a hardware problem with the Wii's AV/Component input.

Michan

This happened to me the other day. Your channels are crossed. Seriously – unplug your cables and start over. Bonus: make sure you're not plugging an audio jack into a video plug (there are two red cables).

This happened to me the other day. Your channels are crossed. Seriously – unplug your cables and start over. Bonus: make sure you're not plugging an audio jack into a video jack (there are two red cables).
He says he tried that. But that was my first reaction too. Maybe even try the blue in the green.

The only thing I would suggest (that you probably have already tried!) is deliberately switch all three colour coded RCAs. Try different combinations or even try plugging one in at a time?

Otherwise I'd say its a hardware problem with the Wii's AV/Component input.

Yeah, I already tried all of those for the hell of it, but none of it helped. :/

I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the Wii itself, but I don't know how to deal with that.

This happened to me the other day. Your channels are crossed. Seriously – unplug your cables and start over. Bonus: make sure you're not plugging an audio jack into a video plug (there are two red cables).

He says he tried that. But that was my first reaction too. Maybe even try the blue in the green.

Yeah, I tried it. I've tried switching them around multiple times just to see what would happen, but none of it helped.

It's also impossible to confuse the red's on the current cables I have, since they're colored different so they don't get confused for one another:

Thought you might :( I guess a repair is needed or even a new Wii...

I might just have to if I can't find another solution soon. There's a few places around here that repairs Wii's, so I'll have to check out how much they'd charge to fix that...and if they even know how to fix it to begin with.

you know what it isssssssssssssssssssssss

Waluigi time?

Piccolo silly

Hah. Oh, you guys!

Rapstah

If the Wii itself is screwed up so that two of the outputs output each other's signal, wouldn't switching the cables on the TV end fix it, regardless of it working for other consoles? Obviously, if one of the signals is missing entirely, this only changes which colours are missing.

fernoca

If anything..find someone that has a Wii, take it to your place and try that one with the cables and your TV.

Seems like a problem with the hardware and aside looking around to fix it or pay someone, the other option would be to send it to Nintendo and pay as the unit us out if warranty.

Considering how many cables and TVs you've used, it's pretty obviously the Wii.

I know for sure the problem is the Wii...I was hoping someone here would know what exactly was wrong it, though. I don't know if the problem would be the pins, or something else...

If the Wii itself is screwed up so that two of the outputs output each other's signal, wouldn't switching the cables on the TV end fix it, regardless of it working for other consoles? Obviously, if one of the signals is missing entirely, this only changes which colours are missing.

Switching cables around did nothing, so obviously the Wii isn't outputting properly, for some reason.

Get a Wii2HDMI.

I'm using the Wii on a CRT that only supports RF, composite, S-Video, and component, though...so HDMI wouldn't help. Heh.

I can play them on my brother's Wii U on his HDTV, but I don't wanna bug him to play anything I could play on my own Wii in the comfort of my room. :/

If anything..find someone that has a Wii, take it to your place and try that one with the cables and your TV.

Seems like a problem with the hardware and aside looking around to fix it or pay someone, the other option would be to send it to Nintendo and pay as the unit us out if warranty.

I moved away, so I don't know anyone nearby. The only people I know with Wii's are some old friends of mine, but they now live 3-4 hours away. Heh. Regardless, I know the problem isn't the cables or TV, since I've had the same problem with multiple cables and TVs. I'm sure the problem is the Wii itself...

http://hardandsoftgaming.wordpress.com/2011/03/09/wii-component-video-issue-green-and-purple-only/

Try wiggling / forcing the cable into the back of the Wii. It could be the Wii's display port is fucked and not all the pins are connecting.

Someone else sent me the same link via private message. I already looked at that site before, though, and trying that didn't help with any of the cables. Heh. Thanks, though.

sn00zer

Had the exact same problem with a Wii...it has something to do with the port, jiggling the wires to where they connect to the Wii seemed to help, but yeah youre pretty much f'd

Had the exact same problem with a Wii...it has something to do with the port, jiggling the wires to where they connect to the Wii seemed to help, but yeah youre pretty much f'd

I'm thinking my problem is probably the port, but jiggling stuff around didn't do anything. Heh. :(

I had to have mine repaired when it started doing this when I was playing Metroid Prime. Hopefully it's not a big problem for you.

Where did you get it repaired, and how much did it cost? Did they give you any idea of what was wrong?

It was near launch, so Nintendo did it for me. Sorry man. :/

Ah...I see...mine went out of warranty years ago. :(

Anyway, I called around, and it seems that no one besides Nintendo does repairs like that. Heh. I don't suppose anyone would know how much a repair from Nintendo would cost, would they? If it's too much, I'll just try S-Video...hopefully that won't have any problems.

I do need a repair either way, though, since I'm occasionally getting some small black/white dots from the graphics chip overheating thanks to my brother leaving the WiiConnect24's Stand-By mode on for so long. It's rarely noticeable, but it is there...but this is a more recent issue, and it doesn't pop up in all that many games. The color issue with component has been there since launch, though.

meow

I had to get my Wii repaired once when it stopped reading discs. It started with SSBB (which I think is a documented defect with free repair) but soon went to all discs. This was a while ago though, when Wiis were still more expensive, but even then I thought it was kind of expensive, I want to say maybe $80?

Mine was way out of warranty, too, but I talked them into a free repair even though the lady didn't want to give me one at first (she said it was free if it didn't read Brawl, but once it stopped reading all discs, it was a different problem. I said I would prefer to try the free Brawl fix first and then pay if it didn't work, at which point she offered me a "one-time courtesy repair."). :p You might as well call and ask, I think they first offered me a discount at least. Just be nice, haha.

Top Bottom