• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will videogames follow woke hollywood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woopah

Games like Nier Replicant and 13 Sentinels have gay characters but you dont see people complaining about those games being "woke".

People start complaining when they too fucking on nose about it and keeping hitting you on the head with it, its like watching bad Saturday morning cartoon and keeping hitting with the massage "dont do drugs" they basically treating their audiences as if they toddlers.

Also like I said many times western devs can make whatever the fuck they want but freedom works both ways that means Japanese devs also should be free to make whatever they want.

I dont want to see this type of shit again...
cDsWoMX.png
The OP of this very thread is complaining about gay characters in JRPGs and saying its woke.

i think it all feels very awkward a lot of the time because... it is. it's not in any way organic, authentic, or deeply felt, it's simply being done for the sake of doing it, & it shows. that's what's weird about it - how ludicrously intrusive & obviously 'stuck in' it is. back in the '60's, tv series, like star trek & perry mason, began incorporating black actors, & while it wasn't always perfectly smooth, it was almost uniformly done in a far more low-key & less awkward way than is being done now. the way it's now done feels much more like you're having certain 'things' you've maybe had thoughts regarding being 'clarified' for you, in a sort of gentle (but explicit), sesame street manner...

so, yeah: if it also all feels a bit condescending a lot of the time, it's because... it is... it's being encouraged by individuals who feel they 'understand' something that the vast majority of the rest of us do not, & are therefore in need of their enlightened guidance. because, if this wasn't so, how, exactly, would these individuals go about earning a living? i mean, surely not by actually working?...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But op-ed pieces can't be about whatever the author wants? That's an odd place to draw the line.
The OP of this very thread is complaining about gay characters in JRPGs and saying its woke.
This is MY take on it. For me I dont care what sex or race the character is as long as I like the actual character and story, that what I ultimately want from any story.

Emil in is gay and Kaine is intersex but adore both of them in Nier Gestalt/Replicant because I like the actual characters, meanwhile I HATED Aloy in Horizon because I found her to be dry as fuck and has no chemistry with any of the side characters.

Last edited:

Woopah

This is MY take on it. For me I dont care what sex or race the character is as long as I like the actual character and story, that what I ultimately want from any story.

Emil in is gay and Kaine is intersex but adore both Nier Gestalt/Replicant because I like the actual characters, meanwhile I HATED Aloy in Horizon because I found her to be dry as fuck and has no chemistry with any of the side characters.
And that's completely fine!

I was just pointing out you said that we don't see people calling JRPGs woke for having gay characters in them, but that seems to be what the OP is doing.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
That wouldn't be woke. The issue I've noticed with a lot of these gay/trans characters is that is the entirety of their character and not just simply a trait or small piece of a larger whole and as a result this character is hollow and ill conceived.

It's just bad writing.

Last edited:

Woopah

That wouldn't be woke. The issue I've noticed with a lot of these gay/trans characters is that is the entirety of their character and not just simply a trait or small piece of a larger whole and as a result this character is hollow and ill conceived.

It's just bad writing.
Agreed. Diversity is no excuse for bad writing.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Is any minority/female/lgtg character/storyline automatically woke? Gaming would be pretty boring if it was just copy/pasted white guys everywhere IMO. Let the designers do whatever vision they want. I don’t care about politics.

I guess games like Baldur Gate 3 and Cyberpunk are just woke garbage flops according to OP given all the (woke) stuff in there. Frankly, I find rants like the OP just as annoying as resetera dorks complaining every time a white male stars in a game or a female in gaming wears a revealing outfit and is attractive.
Cyberpunk is like the exact opposite, that’s a great example of how you can have a super diverse cast without anybody feeling like they were created just to portray some marginalized identity in the most positive and stereotype-defying way possible.

Every race, gender, and sexuality is there, but nobody is entirely sympathetic or entirely evil. Nobody is a Mary Sue. The various street gangs were mostly male dominated and segregated by culture/ethnicity like.. you know.. real life gangs. They weren’t afraid to have a black person be the villain sometimes. Women and men were allowed to act feminine/masculine and dress sexy.

It felt like it was written by someone who knew how to tell a damn story and was passionate about it, rather than some design-by-committee entertainment product designed to deliver The Message and boost their ESG score.

I’d love it if Cyberpunk were viewed as the “right way” to handle diversity and inclusion, that would be awesome.

GermanZepp

Dredge, the game about fishing has a couple of 'strong women' 100% placed for woke points. And Astral Ascent has actors doing the dialogue so edgy isn't funny. I played like 3 hours and one of characters already suggested they like a man an a woman.

kiphalfton

Games like Nier Replicant and 13 Sentinels have gay characters but you dont see people complaining about those games being "woke".

People start complaining when they too fucking on nose about it and keeping hitting you on the head with it, its like watching bad Saturday morning cartoon and keeping hitting with the massage "dont do drugs" they basically treating their audiences as if they toddlers.

Also like I said many times western devs can make whatever the fuck they want but freedom works both ways that means Japanese devs also should be free to make whatever they want.

I dont want to see this type of shit again...
cDsWoMX.png

I'd like to imagine 2B and A2 are gay.

Guilty_AI

Multiplayer is, THANK GOD, insulated from this to a large degree.
They tend to be the worst offenders. From pride flags in the middle of a warzone, censoring nazi symbols cause they're offensive to use in an historical representative context apparently, or blizzard making that stupid diversity chart, which they had to rig because it originally showed their games lacked diversity in the true sense of the word.

Last edited:

Rudius

For me the absolute worst trope of any video game, movie, show, or comic that's pushing a woke agenda, is when they insert a young Gen Z minority character, who's sole purpose is to dress down the long established white male hero of the franchise, and tell him he's problematic. I can tolerate the token gay/trans character, but it's that shit that actually manages to infuriate me. This just happened with the Doctor Who 60th Anniversary.
If you keep paying for it they will keep delivering the fresh steaming manure.

"will" ? Lol... It's happening a long time... Majority hate here, but support their products, its like era users with gaf masks.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
For me the absolute worst trope of any video game, movie, show, or comic that's pushing a woke agenda, is when they insert a young Gen Z minority character, who's sole purpose is to dress down the long established white male hero of the franchise, and tell him he's problematic. I can tolerate the token gay/trans character, but it's that shit that actually manages to infuriate me. This just happened with the Doctor Who 60th Anniversary.
Can you tell me a example... TV and videogame of a gen Z minority with this characteristic?

Ozzie666

'Will' - cute.

It's too late, already happened especially in Western games and development teams. Japan is resisting somewhat, but cracks are appearing.

Larxia

I dont agree with OP on that, having gay character in a game doesn't make it "woke"......Good character is good character regardless of their sex and race.
The problem with this sadly is that, the current woke culture kind of ruined our vision of this, it affected it in the wrong way.

I'm myself aware of it. When there were gay people and whatnot in a movie or tv show 10 years ago, I didn't really think about it, but now? I can't help but think it has been put there just for the sake of our current culture and representation, even if sometimes it might actually be authentic, but it's hard to know these days.

All this stuff being constantly pushed so much in your face created, at least for me, a bias that makes me cautious about this, rather than open. And I'm not saying it's a good thing, it's a problem, but it's just the effect of what all of this agenda push has done, at least to me. When I watch things from pre-2010 having such themes, I usually know it's "safe" and wasn't done for the wrong reasons, and it feels better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom