• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers need to start boycotting Game Companies!

PeteBull

Disney has lost nearly $100million dollars in market value over the last few years, Bud Light is down over $20billion since the Dylan controversy, and Target is down over $10billion since they started targeting Satanic lqbtqia clothes for kids. The consumer dollar trumps all.
That is happening in game indurstry too but not coz of some fake outrage aka for example hogwarts legacy, gamers dont "boycott" stuff, they simply dont buy bad products they dont enjoy, no hidden meaning in it- gaming is entertainment- gamers aka customers wanna play a game-they buy it, if no then no and that kinda is.

Simple supply and demand capitalism rule, no magic tricks or petitions.

When Saints Row woke reboot was shit all the woke twitter crowd/fake praisers couldnt do shit- game was bad so target audience decided not to buy it- game bombed and end of story.

Another example, this time of upcoming game in 2024 but super safe bet-Suicide Squad looks nasty and so not fun to play- u wont have gamers boycotting it- it will simply have 0 interests coz its simply bad game, it will vanish right after launch, very likely with few weeks after some info from higher ups about not meeting expectations and rocksteady studio layouts/closing.

Instead of boycotts lets trust the process and simply natural law of-talent always winning and being able to prove itself on its own.

Its same thing with moivation needed to go to the gym- it only works short term- longterm u simply do it coz u fuckin love lifting weigts/to feel good/look good, u dont need motivation to do something u enjoy doing.
U dont need to boycott games u dont wanna buy, and the ones u wanna buy u will buy/play no matter if some randos on the internet telling u to boycott them.

At leasts thats my take on it.

GreatnessRD

Are you tired of Games that release broken or unfinished?

Are you sick of playing the same games yearly with cut and paste Jobs?

Are you sick of buying a game at launch for full price and not getting the full product 6 months to over a year later from launch?

Boycotts work! Look is what is happening in other sectors of Entertainment. People are sick of the ultra left wing companies shoving their woke agendas into Everything. There has been a backlash that has forced these companies to Listen. Bud Light, Disney, Target are Multi Billion dollar companies who are now losing Billions trying to shove their woke agendas down people's throat. Yes this same logic applies to vidoegames.

You cry every year about Madden sucking but buy it every year? EA does not give a fuck. Keep bitching but if you are buying they have won. You really want to make a difference and force EA to change? Stop buying their garbage product! When the effect of boycotts hit their stocks that is when they really listen.

I am constantly hearing gamers bitch about this company sucks, or this broken thing or that. Yet, at the end of the day people are still buying these companies shitty products and the companies win. If you really want to send a message we should be boycotting these shitty products. Do not support this behavior and make them listen. The only way to make multi billion dollar companies listen to us as the consumer is hit them right in the Wallet.
Not enough like-minded people. But I'm right there with you. Gaming has been in the toilet for a very, very long time. With that said, I am happy that some gamers have found happiness in the current era. I just can't get with it personally.

Skifi28

JxjJfDL.jpg

hemo memo

Gold Member
Last day 1 release i’ve bought is TotK. Before that it was Persona 5R. Both are fantastic at launch. The rest of the games I catch up on later fixed and discounted. A win-win.

Just doesn’t buy games you feel that might not be worth... There are hundreds of other options around. Also, you might be unhappy with said game but someone might be ok with that… so stop pushing your personal preferences over other people.

You'd think so, but it keeps happening, so no. Also, I'm owed working products from companies that don't alienate their customers by insulting them or telling them that their worldview is wrong. If that's too much to ask for, it's the company that is entitled, not me.

When it comes to gaming, the best recent example of all of this would be Saints Row. They released a broken game and insulted their fans who questioned the direction of the series. That developer is dead to me. Short of an apology, I'll never buy their games again.
I Agree with you bruh, especially about Saints Row, watchin that thing flop was the most pleasant thing to happen in recent memory, well other than the failed Hogwarts Legacy boycot

I just cant believe how fucked up people are. Boycotting for selling pride clothes in a tiny section of a huge store or giving someone a personalized six pack is fucking pathetic. There is nothing noble about it. It is just cry baby bigots banding together because seeing a trans person triggers them. This has nothing to do with games.

I went to the park in Baltimore today and saw a gay couple cuddling and a trans dude taking his/her/their kids to the park. The only people with agendas were these weird Muslims at a conference trying to recruit people and they were perfectly fine with me saying I am not interested. Really it is just people being people, and getting bothered by that is not honorable, it is sick.
People being themselves is one thing, people demanding that the rest of us give up what we care about and wrap the whole world around them at our expense, thats another thing entirely.
I don't expect everything to be dedicated to me, or to be made for me, but if I've been a loyal customer, getting shoved aside for some other demographic because of THE MESSAGE, then yeah, I'm walking away and letting the company know why.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
if I've been a loyal customer, getting shoved aside for some other demographic because of THE MESSAGE
....but. Bud Light still sells beer to you don't they? Target still lets you purchase from their store, don't they? They're not giving discounts to gay people or trans people, it's about as superficial as they can get.
They're just appeasing to a little section of the population who really appreciates it. It's not like Bud Light has a history of making pro LGBT ads before this one, same thing for target.

StereoVsn

Best thing to do is simply not pre-order. Wait till reviews hit as well as videos from YouTubers you trust.

That said sometimes it makes sense to boycott companies till they do better. Like Asus with the AM5 fiasco.

....but. Bud Light still sells beer to you don't they? Target still lets you purchase from their store, don't they? They're not giving discounts to gay people or trans people, it's about as superficial as they can get.
They're just appeasing to a little section of the population who really appreciates it. It's not like Bud Light has a history of making pro LGBT ads before this one, same thing for target.
The section of the population (western population as far as I can tell, I'm not American), isn't simply asking for something they appreciate, they threaten cancelations if you don't give them whatever it is they are asking for. They are holding companies at gunpoint especially with that ESG stuff. "Give us what we want whether or not it makes sense, or we will tear up your reputation, and riot if necessary."
When it comes to games and entertainment its not "inclusion" they're after, the creators have to rewrite things to fit a specific set of principles that have nothing to do with the original fanbase, that's how you get shoved aside. Give them an inch and they'll bait and switch your protagonist with one who seems to want to insult the original fanbase and appeal to a totally different one.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah but (insert defence thats part of the problem) and plus ( insert the usual part of the problem " it don't affect you" & "don't buy it then " comments)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
They are holding companies at gunpoint especially with that ESG stuff.
the funny thing is that ESG was made by the companies... not by the people. Blackrock and the United Nations are the reason ESG exists and is so prevalent, not Twitter, lol

And moreover.... Twitter cancellations don't do shit to a company. You can't damage a company's reputation and kill off their revenue by trying to 'cancel' them on Twitter. Trust me, if they could people'd have done that already, because they've got enough skeletons in their closet worthy of cancellation. (none of them have to do with progressiveness, btw) Simple fact is that they're too big to crumble from a couple twitter tweets.
Yeah but (insert defence thats part of the problem) and plus ( insert the usual part of the problem " it don't affect you" & "don't buy it then " comments)
i understand your frusturation but you cannot convince people like that. It will never happen.

the funny thing is that ESG was made by the companies... not by the people. Blackrock and the United Nations are the reason ESG exists and is so prevalent, not Twitter, lol

And moreover.... Twitter cancellations don't do shit to a company. You can't damage a company's reputation and kill off their revenue by trying to 'cancel' them on Twitter. Trust me, if they could people'd have done that already, because they've got enough skeletons in their closet worthy of cancellation. (none of them have to do with progressiveness, btw) Simple fact is that they're too big to crumble from a couple twitter tweets.

i understand your frusturation but you cannot convince people like that. It will never happen.
You're absolutely right, Bob Chapek decided to apologize to his gay employees and join them in protesting the bill they were demanding Disney (he was CEO at the time) do something about, no pressure

Why should I support companies who insult my worldview? To be clear, I have a fairly supportive worldview when it comes to trans people, but if I disagree with some aspect of what Target or Bud Light or Miller or Gillette has said or done, and the result of that disagreement essentially comes down to a company suggesting I'm a bad person for not agreeing with them, why would I ever give that company my business again? Why should any company lecture their customers? There's nothing superficial about insulting your customers.

Same for game companies. If you insult my worldview, why should I give you my business when there are SO many other options?

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nah I've got a different attitude.
Forget convincing and trying to revert something back.
The sane doesn't have that pull in numbers like the people that protested to changed it do, although we are the majority we have lives and we move on within a week or two
If a product goes down that path and people allow it, then let it die.
Because it usually does.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
This reeks of entitlement. Those that participate in this negative activism and preach hate towards developers, expecting it to be received in good faith, are fucking delusional. A behaviour that begets further toxicity. You're not owed anything. Do you think that these companies are oblivious to the fact that releasing a game in a broken state hurts them not just financially but via reputation? It is better to be hopeful that companies learn and adapt to the climate we're in, rather than boycott them, as it does not benefit the consumer for them to have failed to begin with.
Wrong. If you keep giving them your money it gives them 0 incentive to change. If they have to rethink releasing a broken product because they know it will not sell, that is the difference. Keep buying their bullshit is not solving anything.

Why should I support companies who insult my worldview? To be clear, I have a fairly supportive worldview when it comes to trans people, but if I disagree with some aspect of what Target or Bud Light or Miller or Gillette has said or done, and the result of that disagreement essentially comes down to a company suggesting I'm a bad person for not agreeing with them, why would I ever give that company my business again? Why should any company lecture their customers? There's nothing superficial about insulting your customers.

Same for game companies. If you insult my worldview, why should I give you my business when there are SO many other options?
What he said☝️

Corian33

There are SO MANY games that are coming out all the time. Buy the stuff you like and gets good reviews. Don’t buy the other stuff. I don’t even understand gaming boycotts, it’s not like everyone buys every new game that comes out anyway.

That aside, we see that some cultural outrage boycotts work and some don’t, but there’s usually an obvious reason. Bud Light is getting hit hard because their primary demo was literally white trash conservatives and they pushed the biggest culture war button there is at the moment and nuked themselves.

Last edited:

Gamer79

What's that?
Just look up Bud Light Boycott. They put a transexual as the face of the beer and pretty much to told their standard clients to fuck off. It hasn't gone well for them.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Boycotting suggests that a group of people come together to collectively refuse to do business with a company. That requires organization. OP screaming at the heavens is not accomplishing anything more than the reactions on the post and the subsequent posts like this one explaining the fallacy in his method.

Congratulations bro, we did it.

Disney has lost nearly $100million dollars in market value over the last few years, Bud Light is down over $20billion since the Dylan controversy, and Target is down over $10billion since they started targeting Satanic lqbtqia clothes for kids. The consumer dollar trumps all.
There are more factors behind this than just 'online people didn't like them'

Gamer79

There are more factors behind this than just 'online people didn't like them

Not enough like-minded people. But I'm right there with you. Gaming has been in the toilet for a very, very long time. With that said, I am happy that some gamers have found happiness in the current era. I just can't get with it personally.
1. True but the online part spilled into reality.

2. Agreed. People keep saying how great these recent games are and I am not seeing it.

Nautilus

Banned
These yearly, broken games keep selling because people like the yearly games and don't mind (that much) broken games as long as its playable.

The broken games part may be fixed with a decent number of people simply not buying at launch. I can see that affecting people buying habbits. But that will take several years.

But the yearly games? That barely push anything foward? Gamers in general like that. That wont be going out of style anytime soon.

Gamer79

Boycotting suggests that a group of people come together to collectively refuse to do business with a company. That requires organization. OP screaming at the heavens is not accomplishing anything more than the reactions on the post and the subsequent posts like this one explaining the fallacy in his method.

Congratulations bro, we did it.
The only real goal is to get a better product at the end of the day.

Gamer79

Boycotts never work? Ask the 3 companies I mentioned. There currently is an Anti target song trending in the top 10 on itunes

Crayon

Jesus Christ you guys with the state of the industry stuff. These series that sell tens of millions: it's not a wonder that they are not all made specifically to your tastes and standards. Ffs play something else.

True but the online part spilled into reality.
There are two versions of cause and effect here:

One version is the neatly wrapped in a bow version, where what you've been told online what people want the direct coorelation to be. "People didn't like ____ so the numbers went down"

The other version is the more complicated version where there are multiple layers. Multiple businesses doing deals, advertisers, exchanging of hands, shipping issues, price increase of goods, stock changes, supply issues, demand issues, worker issues, machinery problems, etc.

What I'm suggesting is that while it's easy to believe the former because it makes for a good quick and easy headline, the latter(the giant ball of mess happening behind the scenes) is what should always be considered or researched when it comes to gigantic corporate entities, especially when asking for a call to arms.

BbMajor7th

Instead of boycotting things, why not concentrating supporting the things you DO like?
This is the right answer. I toss more money at the indie scene than the mainstream these days. Mainstream has become copy pasta in a lot of cases so I'm happy to reward the smaller companies doing different things.

Also, people aren't boycotting Disney, they're just tuning out due to over-saturation and a major decline in quality. I'm sure the virtue signalling has played a part, but the bigger story is them throwing good money after too many bad projects.

Gamer79

Spot on the money! The only way I can have my voice heard is with my wallet. I refused to hear or watch all the virtue signaling these big companies are pushing. Hell if cancel culture can work for the Left, I believe proper boycotts can steer a company. The game industy is in a very sad state. Companies like Nintendo are few and very far between. People seem to have accepted their lackluster mediocre games. The only way to change things is with your wallet. Going with the status Quo or bitching online solves nothing. Money is the only langue big companies speak. Unfortunately gaming has shifted much more towards a business.

Top Bottom