• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 95 launch...do you still remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptunes

952.gif

do you remember when they launch that sucker in 95?

I wasn't old enough to buy it on my own but I was old enough to know that it was somethoing big and I convinced my mom to get a new PC that was windows '95 compatible. :D

were you among the many waiting in line on launch day?

DMczaf

I remember my cousin's mom buying the floppy disk version during launch. I dont remember how many floppies there were, but there were a lot!

neptunes

DMczaf said:
I remember my cousin's mom buying the floppy disk version during launch. I dont remember how many floppies there were, but there were a lot!
LOL

I even remember a plane with a windows 95 flag flying near my house that same week.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
we didn't even own a computer then and I was 14 or so. I don't think we had a computer untill 98 came out.

AndreasNystrom said:
I remember when they were gonna show how good USB was, and the computer bluescreened.. ah that was nice for an amiga-user to see ;)

That was Windows 98 (or possibly ME). Windows 95a didn't have USB support out of the box.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
fenekku-gitsune said:
It came with a Weezer video! And Terminal Velocity!

i must have watched that weezer video about 4 million times. And it wasn't terminal velocity it was... *drum roll* HOVER TANK 3D! oh yeah. or something

I remember the hype, but I'm not one to get very excited about a new operating system. It comes with the machine, seems to work, that's good for me. Think we got one of the later '95 versions with our PC in 1997.

shuri

Banned
the floppy version Win95 came on 23 or 25 (I'm not sure, its been a while) floppies and it took forever to install. God that was hell.

I remember not liking 95 at all back then, so when my father was around the computer, I would quit Doom (or whatever) and boot to windows, to pretend that I was actually using that god forsaken os ;)

The first release of win95 was ugh. It was interesting yet so meh ;) Then Msoft went all out with DirectX, I remember how me and my friends hated directx games (it will never catch on, or so we thought)

and then Diablo 1 came out. It was the first quality game made with DirectX2 (at the time). Tons of people converted after that!

bjork

I bought it in 1995, and found a copy of IMB Pirates! on 3.5" floppies the same day.

Twas a good day indeed.

SKluck

Banned
My family bought a computer right around that time. It was a packard bell that came with windows 3.11, but inside the box was a free mail in rebate or voucher or some shit for windows 95.

maharg

idspispopd
fenekku-gitsune said:
It came with a Weezer video! And Terminal Velocity!

It didn't come with terminal velocity. MS released a clone (actually based on the same engine) for Win95 around the same time (one of the first DirectX games) called Fury^3, though.

It came with the good old card games, the Weezer video, a pinball game, and a 3d hovercraft fighting game.

I remember. I remember using MSN from the beta (which was free) the night all the newbs were coming online after buying it at midnight and stinking up the joint.

I remember being in the pool at my house and seeing lights in the sky.

"What are those, papa?"
"It's the future, my son."

Then he forced me to fellate him.

I remeber my dad has windows 95 before it even came out, and he was so proud of his 200MHZ computer. Boy, have times changed! LOL!

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I remember begging my sister's boyfriend to bring his dad's copy over, and then fretting about freeing up 50 megabytes to install it...

50 megabytes? My computer now has approximately 4,800 times that in total capacity :p

Oh, and it was on a Pentium 66 MHz vs. 2700 MHz now :p. I remember shitting my pants when they released a 200 MHz computer, 3x as fast as mine!

miyuru

samus4ever said:
I remeber my dad has windows 95 before it even came out, and he was so proud of his 200MHZ computer. Boy, have times changed! LOL!

You had WIN95 pre-launch, *with* a 200 Mhz PC? How is that possible? I thought 200's came out later.

hobbitx

I've never bought an OS, our first windows pc came with windows 98 already installed, I wish I could have been old enough to understand and appreciate all the hype that accompanied the OS.

Mumbles

Ah, how we all laughed. "It's just like a mac, only it sucks." 'It makes a grown man cryyyyy!"

Still, it wasn't so bad compared to a mac. Crashed like crazy, but so did system...what, was it 8 at that point?

DJ_Tet

Banned
Win 95 changed the face of computing for the better.

It used to be "hard" to find your way around a PC, without something like Win 95, everyone in the office wouldn't have a PC. Hate on MS all you want, but be jealous that they capitalized on a huge need.

Could things be/have been better, sure. But they got the job done well enough. Now any moron can find their way around a PC. That was the whole goal.

I also had a Powerbook 540c at the time. It was crap like hell :(
Apples OS is one of the worst ever, even if millions of Apple users say something
else..

I was still a kid in Washington when the thing launched, it was major news when it was finally sold in stores. I remember one guy who proudly proclaimed that he was buying a acopy despite not having a computer. He just wanted to be "a part of history."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom