• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Olympics 2022 |OT| Ice cold

Von Hugh

Two more people caught using doping recently, Ukrainians this time.

Why do people think they are getting away with it? In every god damn olympics some people have been caught, but still the systematic nature of putting people on steroids continues. Looks like Russia especially doesn't even care anymore even after the scandal and banning.

Alebrije

BHBeRLv.jpg

VTFQHIF.png

QJbYb93.png
Feell sorry for the other Rusian at the end that failed ...but at the same time happy for the japanese one.

HoodWinked

Norway being this dominant is absurd with a population of 5 million the fewest of the Scandinavian countries

We'd (USA) have to have the equivalent of 2000 medals if proportional to population.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Holy hell Norway.....

Was pretty distressing watching that young Russian girl crash out during her last performance. That's a lot for a kid of 15yrs old to have thrown at her; some of the comments from the commentary about her were so blatantly passive aggressive.

Tschumi

Holy hell Norway.....

Was pretty distressing watching that young Russian girl crash out during her last performance. That's a lot for a kid of 15yrs old to have thrown at her; some of the comments from the commentary about her were so blatantly passive aggressive.
My opinion of her kind of.. developed as i watched, and I'll admit it softened a bit.. these girls are too young to be called cynical cheaters, it's obvious that her support staff are behind everything.. i kind of want all three of those girls to retire and their coach to get in deep shit

Japanese women's curling team a great story, just snuck into the knockout stages then beat a team that beat them the day before with some nerveless play... Gold medal match, it's been a real rollercoaster.. great fun

Heart goes out to the Japanese mixed figure skating couple, they had a hard time at pyongchang [sic] and suffered here too :( the male partner is crosseyed, amazing that he can perform at such a high level, absolute champ.

0neAnd0nly

Well, with the US men eliminated from Gold medal contention in the Olympics most adrenaline pumping sport, Curling - I am officially sad. They better grab the Bronze.

:messenger_face_steam:

Tschumi

I'm glad the Japanese kid Ayumu won the snowboard halfpipe, but i wish he could have been awarded a personality rather than a gold medal lol, they're showing footage of his efforts and interviews when he was young in Japanese tv and the dude hasn't smiled once in his life lol, or rraised his voice above deadpan...

Hyperbole...

Those Russian coaches are awful people. The 15 year old should have been DQd but the coaches are despicable.
Even the head of the ioc called them out lol, i hope they raise the entry age to 18

Tschumi

Japanese figure skating duo of Kihara and Miura were a great story, both of them weren't crash hot until they found each other, Kihara(29) has cross'd eyes so that's amazing as it stands, but he was about to retire after a pretty middling career until he got together with 20 year old Miura... A silver and a bronze in the grand prix events last year, they agonisingly messed up in the short format leg at this Olympics but had arguably their best ever run in the long format... They were bawling their eyes out as you do, really felt great for them. Pretty sure they got a SB score, and they held onto first place for more than one subsequent run, such was the magnitude of their second run and the gap they made up on their short format effort.

-Tsch

Tschumi

For me graphics and performance has never been an issue - maybe because i grew up with underpowered hardware, i don't care about slight slowdown and such - I just want them to layer in more and more world interactivity and exploration

(this was meant to be on the cyberpunk thread lol)

Last edited:

Tschumi

English women about to win the curling, beating Japan... Really annoying match to watch, the Japanese were defensive and timid all match long, the poms had more numbers in the "house" come the final few ... Rolls of every end, the Japanese could only ever hope to get 1 point at a time.. flaccid. Boo.

RAÏSanÏa

Slovakia winning their first Men's Hockey medal. Rock on! What an effort by Sweden though the day before against ROC bringing it to a shoot out.

ROC vs Finland for the gold has started.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nobody is watching the olympics really. ESPN doesnt even care as their home page doesn't even put Olympics link in plain view and they hardly even have articles about it aside from the medal tracker. It's been like that since day one.

Bfr8akA.jpg

RAÏSanÏa

Yeah, there hasn't been as much interest here either. Lots of factors.

Yet, Canada won more medals than were predicted before the start so there's still a commitment to the competition on the part of the athletes.

Tschumi

I think Tschumi Tschumi is the only one watching it here. I'm just here to mock it.

Tsuchumi, sort yourself out mate.
Love your spelling of my tag :p

It makes me very happy to see that this thread only has 68 replies since it's inception
I didn't actually expect anyone to care about my bios of Japanese figure skaters - that should prove how much of a procrastination masturbation contraption this thread is

Also a mod made it an OT after i posted it. I took up the torch, so to speak

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

Last edited:
Oh yeah, this event was on. I probably blocked it out or couldn't care less about it. Possibly why I had no idea this was on. Considering the fact that the event is plagued with controversies and hosted by a pos country, I guess that explains a lot.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Closing ceremony!

Actually found myself liking the prospect of Italy in 2026, regardless of how much older I'll be lol

Kind of weird, China has done a kind of somber, choral closing ceremony, really doesn't resonate with their culture to me, seems like they're taking notes from the Japanese Olympic ceremonies, understandable *sniff

I used to ride my bike past the bird's nest stadium quite often in the day, it's been nice going back there

Bit nauseating that they say one world, one family, love, etc, in fireworks, when Uyghurs aren't invited to humanity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom