• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: All-Day Breakfast Won’t Be Enough to Save McDonald’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

Once I learned that their hotcakes are frozen and microwaved, I decided I could probably never eat them again. I can make them so well, the only weakspot is hashbrowns.

BigDug13

McDonald's has been gradually losing marketshare in fast food for years but very recently the decline became very fast and very steep. The combination of 'better' fast food places serving different kinds of food such as Chipotle and Sonic, the rise of regional burger chains like In-N-Out Burger and Carls Jr and Five Guys and others, a steady amount of pressure from competitors with menus that have more variety like Wendy's and Jack in the Box, and also a decades long reputation for being kinda shit have all suddenly started dragging The Ronald down in a big way that hasn't been seen before.

One big problem that McD's has right now is that their food prices have been spiraling upwards for some time now and a lot of these 'better' fast food places are now within striking range of McD's prices and who the fuck is going to pick a Big Mac over Five Guys if the price difference is only a few bucks? Yeah, nobody, which is why McD's is suddenly in freefall.

Maybe the issue is beef prices? McDonalds charging $8 for a "value" meal is just insane. When your prices have reached Chipotle level, people are going to opt to just eat at Chipotle.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
as far I know millennials still go to clubs and need drunk food at 4am

you'll always have your place mcdonalds

But any self-respecting person looking for drunk food at 4AM will go to Denny's if they have any sense.

I tried all day breakfast but was bummed because they don't do biscuits. The Egg McMuffin was fine, but I wanted an Egg and Cheese Biscuit >_<

Thought it was weird that Wired was writing about this. What a silly premise. Health consciousness is what's killing McDonalds.

Let's toss this idea at Madonna and see if she sleeps with it...

Create a mobile game. Spend a lot of money in advertising (like Game of War size).
Add micro-transactions. In the game you get rewards (like free fries or free cheeseburger). If you use McDonald's wi-fi, your chances of winning improve.
It should get people of all ages to actually enter a McDonald's.

Oh wait.. how about this (just popped in my head).
Sign a deal with Nintendo. Sell amiibo figures at each location. Eventually release McDonald's amiibos (Ronald, Grimace, Hamburgler).
Have them as DLC for SSB and MK games. The hardcore Nintendo fans will have to buy the figures and DLC (especially when the license agreement runs out). Everyone wins.

I'm a Millennial and I don't use my phone to order fast food. Even if McDonalds made some phone app I wouldn't use it when there are tastier and healthier options easily available. Fix your food before you go around trying to be hip with the youth.

Y'all been fucking up way before we got here. GenXers once again trying to shift the blame, tsk tsk.

They're called GenXers because when you see one you do an X and walk away.

as to blaming phones for fast food disappearing how about making it cheaper or making better food?

I go to Whataburger all of the time. Fellow millenials love it too.

McDonalds is just overpriced. Even when I'm out for something quick and trashy, why would I pay their prices? No one is ever going to go to McDonalds for healthy or high quality food, they should embrace being cheap and convenient.

Bronx-Man

Banned
They're called GenXers because when you see one you do an X and walk away.

Your+_4f05f062ea20d51847c333205ba78183.gif

RDreamer

People order fast food on their phone? I have not once heard of this anywhere from anyone, and I'm a millenial. I really don't think that's McDonald's problem.

They need to crowd source some mobile millenial retweets from the cloud before everything is facebook twitter reddit phone unboxing tindr vlogosphere apple dox meme HD 2000 4K base insurance

People order fast food on their phone? I have not once heard of this anywhere from anyone, and I'm a millenial. I really don't think that's McDonald's problem.

It sounds like something some executive obsessed with apps would say. As a millennial, ordering fast food from my phone is something I have never even considered doing.

AxeMan

Yeah, having a McDonalds app on my phone will make me go to McDonalds.

Great thinking there.

I'm Gen X in charge of two Gen Z's. They won't be choosing to go to McDonalds if I do my job right

Somnid

This sounds like an ad company thought this up. Go mobile! Yeah, like that's the reason McDonald's is declining and Starbucks works. It's not because McDonald's pushes unhealthy and disgusting food for minimal prices, catering to the bottom rung of people. It's becoming more and more popular to spend money on good food, it's a status symbol of sorts and McDonald's doesn't offer anything like that.

Ihyll

Here's a tip for McDonald's - go back and remember what you were doing in the 90s and try to stick to that.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
All-day breakfast is shit because it's a VERY limited, region-specific menu. Here in Houston you can't get biscuits, McGriddles, folded eggs or hash browns. I got offered a fry with a McMuffin...

They really just wanted the publicity pop of, "OMG all day breakfast" without actually having to offer it up in full.

When I lived in my college town I had a McDonalds like less than a block away from my apartment complex and I still only went maybe a max of once a week because I still preferred paying extra for gas to drive to get better food.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is mcdonald's ACTUALLY in danger or is this some Nintendo like doom and gloom about losing some money despite having billions in cash?

This is Nintendo-style doom and gloom, only sillier because McDonald's is still far and away the #1.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Can someone update me on why McDonald's is allegedly in so much trouble in the US? Or is it just a hyperbolic myth?

Because they kill it in Australia but we don't have the cheap burger alternatives the US has. In Australia, you have Macca's, KFC and Hungry Jack's (Burger King) on the cheap end, or you go to the other places that charge $15AU plus for a single basic burger.

Macca's even have an answer to those with Create Your Taste.

First Millennials won't vote, then millennials are secretly more racist than everyone else, and now they're killing McDonalds.

Thanks Millennials.

I did, I'm not and I ate McDonalds yesterday. Screw you all for generalizing.

I still don't know though, this is a post- Fast Food Nation and Super Size Me world and McDonalds all around is a pretty terrible company. I think people just know better now and that they're not the all American institution that was part of their image for so long.

GavinGT

Banned
Can someone update me on why McDonald's is allegedly in so much trouble in the US? Or is it just a hyperbolic myth?

Because they kill it in Australia but we don't have the cheap burger alternatives the US has. In Australia, you have Macca's, KFC and Hungry Jack's (Burger King) on the cheap end, or you go to the other places that charge $15AU plus for a single basic burger.

Macca's even have an answer to those with Create Your Taste.

Mostly it's a trend toward higher-quality options like Chipotle.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
McDonald's isn't dying, it's just already fucking everywhere. It has nowhere left to grow at this point so of course it's going to contract when people have so many other dining options. Unfortunately that's not a reality they can sell to investors hence all the bullshit changes (except all day breakfast, that's awesome).

gosox333

Just imagine if they lowered everything on their value meal menu by $2

I'm literally just pulling that number out of my ass but I know I'd be there at least twice more a week. As would many others who are already fast food inclined

Obviously that's risky as shit and would never happen, but if all else fails then try a good ol' fashioned price drop.

Rocky85

Banned
Call me crazy but I think the value meal is killing mcdonalds. I used to get the big mac in the 90s, big xtra in the 2000s. Then the value menu came and there was no longer any reason to spend more than 5 dollars at mcdonalds.

Liberty4all

Banned
It's so fucking simple.

It's not about mobile.

It's not about making better or healthier food.

It's not about all day breakfast (as nice as that is).

It's the fucking prices. McDonalds has become too expensive. I was around in the 80s when McDonald's was at its height of Ascension .... 3.50 a combo. How could anyone else best that? The same shit today goes for over 9 dollars after tax (Canada).

Is it any surprise their sales are tanking? Literally everything else out there costs the same or is even cheaper and better quality.

Let me add that better quality isn't the answer either. People still want their greasy Big Mac combos. But they want it for under 4.99 (fries and drink included).

They need to lower their prices, it's that simple.

"In France, the McDonald’s mobile app is pretty successful, Apparently in France, you can order a Big Mac anytime on a mobile device and pick it up later at any of McDonald’s 1200 restaurants. But it’s the only country in the world where you can do this."

Preordering a Big Mac? it seems like a pointless step because they are obviously just making it as if you just walked to the counter and ordered, that's why you pick up at any location.

A pointless app.

milanbaros

Member?
It also has the problem that it is disgusting food aimed at low income people. It is not desirable or aspirational to go to McDonald's.

Again, McDonalds, you want Millenials, then make appealing menu items with good ingredients. They try everything except that: edamame salads, Schmidt from New Girl, breakfast all day.

Stop. You're not going to trick Millenials into eating dog food. It doesn't have to be your whole menu, but offer some great core items with better ingredients. Even Carl's Jr is dipping their toes in there. Make it your "premium" line.

SoulUnison

Banned
I went to a McDonalds for the first time in, like, 3 years the other day because it was in the parking lot of where I was running errands and I was unexpectedly starving. There's no dollar menu anymore.

Even a sad little cheeseburger is, like, a buck and a half.

I got a large fries for 2.15 and walked away thinking, "Yay! I have fries! ...But they were like 2 bucks, this is definitely a 'once-in-a-while' thing."

That's probably not the best image for a fast/convenience food to have.

They always talk about the mobile app nonsense. All day breakfast is great, but the big problem is what a lot of people have said: there's other places to go for better fast food for comparable $. We just starters getting 5 Guys, Moes, Chipoltle and Sonic around here and their prices are comparable and the food is way better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom