• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired or wireless headphones

I always read that wired headphones sound far better than wireless.
My question is if something is plugged into a controller for Xbox or PS5 would that still be classed as wireless?
I was wondering if connecting something like the Sennheiser HD 599 via controller would provide better sound than using a dedicated wireless headset like the Arctis Nova or Turtle Beech?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Your neutral sound profile is going to be better with Sennheisers, yeah. But by design they don't block out surrounding sound and they're very leaky so if you're playing in a room with external noise then the Arctis are a better choice. Also no microphone obviously on the Sennheisers.

If you've got a quiet room and don't care about voice chat? Go for it!

Just a casual dad here but I really like the quality and convenience of wired headphones into my elite 2 wireless controller. Rarely have to charge it weekly and it runs the controller and headphones while being easy to move around with etc. Quality wise mine are Astro A10s, so nothing fancy but they're great for gaming, chat and movies generally.

Probably should not I use the old Xbox headphone adapter in the bottom of the controller. Good little boost and mixing controls.

Last edited:

Digfox

The Sennheiser HD 599 are great for gaming and I sense will provide better sound quality than a wireless headset (as noted above quite neutral, albeit some might prefer the tuning on a Wireless headset). However plugging them into an Xbox controller is not going to bring the best out in them, as it will be compressed, have some latency and limited by whatever cheap DAC chip Microsoft use in their controllers. That being said the HD 599 will have the potential to used elsewhere with a PC, DAC/AMP and will be much better for music (if required).

I think this comes down to features (wireless freedom, built in mic, easier chat mix controls) vs. sound quality. The Senheiser HD 599's will be fine used with the controller mind.

Unfortunately my experience of wireless gaming headsets is limited to the PS4/PS5 with the Sony Platinum and Razer Kaira (got these for £36 in a pricing error) and neither are great although they are more convenient than any wired headphones/headset. So sometimes they have sufficed when I not that bothered about sound.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’ve got a Hyperx Cloud II headset for my PS5 and the official Xbox wireless headset for my Series S.

Can’t lie, I actually prefer the wireless set just for practical reasons;
  • I can’t snag the wire.
  • Sometimes I have to twist the aux input in my Dualsense to ensure the sound is coming through properly.
  • Adjusting the wireless sound/playthrough with the cups on the Xbox set is very natural and you can play audio through your phone simultaneously.
  • I can go for a piss without taking them off.
But wired every time if you’re a sound enthusiast.

My sennheiser sounds better than my wireless jbl, but the jbl works perfectly wired as well and also has an inline mic, so even when using wired I still have access to the mic; best of both world really and a real headscratcher why so few comes with an inline mic.

Soodanim

I think this decision ultimately comes down to personal needs and wants. If you can try headphones plugged into a controller, try it. If you like it and think it's sufficient sound and doesn't drain battery too much, great. If not, time to look at other solutions. Like pairing with the console or TV (w/ adapter). It also depends on your seating arrangement, because if you can avoid wires across a whole room then it might be best to, but a desk isn't going to be an issue for cables.

Can a controller drive a pair of 599s?

Cheers for the replies. I've bounced around a few different wireless sets over the last few years and currently use the Arctis Nova Pro. I like them and they're comfortable. But you always read comments that wired are the only way to go. I just wasn't sure using a wired set into a controller if I'd hear that much of a difference.
I think overall from what I've read here i might be best sticking with what I have

Ev1L AuRoN

Wireless have a lot of advantages but

Wired has the potential to be better quality (It's more likely to find a better DAC/AMP combo on your device than on your mass-product headset)
It has better latency (You might be sensible to it or not).
I will live longer by the simple virtue of not having an internal battery that will die eventually.

Hugare

Wired

Better sound quality, less interference and one less device to charge

And yes, if you plug it into your controller it will still lose sound quality, but I think the Dualsense sound quality is really great. I dont notice compression at all.

I had a wireless Sony Pulse and it always disconnected randomly due to wifi interference

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wireless. I find myself using headphones much more as I can just pick it up. No fiddling with wires and comfort to go grab a snack is so good.

And no. Sound quality does not suffer. Mic quality suffers a bit but I don’t mind.

Wireless got dac on board and all the processing is done on headphones. There is absolutely no hissing or bad quality at least with pulse 3d or razer black shark v2 pro.

TrebleShot

I have both and wireless is just better overall with great sound but wired has slightly better sound and a lot of inconvieniances.

HD599 definitely should be connected to a usb dac or your TV/monitor if you don't have one.

Wireless hps sound about as good as lower end, $ 20-50 wired headphones. And connected to controller, HD599 will perform like a wireless hps.

Last edited:

Gravemind

Wireless. Absolute hate wires dangling around, getting tangled, wrapping around shit, and ultimately fraying/wearing/breaking.

I'll never own another wired headset or wired controller ever again.

Topher

Gold Member
Wireless. Wired isn't always a feasible option. Sure, connect through your controller, but that is no longer wired and the degradation is noticeable. Connecting to a DAC with a solid pair of headphones probably is the best option overall for sound quality, but what if you are moving from one system to the next on a regular basis like I am? That is a physical connection that has to move with where ever you are gaming. And that won't work with Xbox at all. Not ideal.

For me, the best solution is a wireless headset with a 2.4Ghz dongle. It is superior in every way to connecting to controller in my experience. I'm using a pair of Artis Nova 7X which are really good especially since it works with PC, PS5, Xbox, and Switch. And since it is USB, I have a USB switch that runs to each of my systems and I can quickly move between them.

Ultimately, the answer is going to vary for everyone and their own situation though.

R6Rider

Gold Member
With my setup I usually am wired, but will go wireless when playing certain games or when on my PC.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wired always. I don't care for charging my headsets.
Thats a legit reason but just so you know, wireless 2,4ghz headset nowadays have battery life ranging from 12 to 50 hours, so it's not as big of an issue as it used to be.
My wife has sony xm3 and it lasts good 30 hours

wired for max quality,
wireless for max convenience.

this isnt saying wireless sounds bad, but wireless has flaws (bandwidth, codecs), and all the best headphones are wired.
IMO wireless is the most enjoyable for couch gaming, and wired is best for PC-at-a-desk gaming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom