• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 is nine years old today - fave memories?

At some point the game clicked for me, around the red baron quest. Each quest's writing felt like a passion project from different side team of writers, a self contained movie, the level of fulfilment when each came and went was great. In between the quests I found myself always resting at a campfire till sunrise or sunset when the lighting was gorgeous, just slowly trotting around the world, completely immersed. The game is a baptism.

Exentryk

Everything really. It's the best game ever.

14af1602f102d7910eb696a77d5fbd9a.gif

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Going to Kaer Morhen for the first time and hearing the music and exploring.

The Blood and Wine DLC and exploring Toussaint for the first time.

Ciri kicking Caranthir's ass toward the end of the game before Geralt had to come in and clean up what she started.

Romancing Yen and the quests with her.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really need to try to get into this game again, I never really did. I was excited when the PS5 patch dropped but it was a total load of shit.

SkylineRKR

Finally finding Yennefer, after fully completing White Orchard. And the part with Keira was pretty good, completing a dungeon as a duo with some fun banter, and then I gave a wrong answer and had to off her.. I reloaded for a better outcome. I liked her. Entering Skellige, and then chilling at the shoreline listening to the OST.

Blood and Wine and Heart of Stone had some epic moments too, they were arguably even better than the main game.

Trunx81

Gold Member
That we got an amazing Netflix show because of it /s

But seriously: When I first played W3 on PS4, I didn’t get it. Died and died and died. So it went into the backlog.
Then the switch version released. The TV was always occupied by my kids or my wife, so I decided to give the game another try on the go. And this was when it clicked. Suddenly combat made sense. Using different weapons, potions ..

And to come back to the first, sarcastic line: This was after watching the Netflix show and reading the first book afterwards. The world and its lore opened up much more. I didn’t feel like the guy who was left out on insider jokes anymore. So yeah, the Netflix show had at least this for me

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I didnt play it untill 2016, amazing game and I havnt enjoyed anything as much since. I need to do another playthrough and play the dlc as I havnt played that still.

Dude youre in for a treat with the DLC. Theyre amazing. Blood & Wine could have won RPG of the year by itself when it came out lol. Its meaty.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
My favorite thing was doing a 2nd playthrough as a total asshole in nearly all dialogues, rejecting and dissing Yennifer, and romancing Triss.

Some random memorable moments: Geralt rap battle, Priscilla's Song, Kiera's side quest, Crones of Crookback especially the creepy demon possessed tapestry and random children's body parts hanging around.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Blood and Wine was great, this game really made you feel how powerful vampires are supposed to be, others tell, this shows

The first time being on a boat on frozen water and this came on was also special

It took me a really long time to get into it tbh because of the sluggish controls, but after long months in the backlog, I did end up loving it and finishing it just about as much as you can finish the game

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don't know if we will ever see something like it again. It has a steel edge and it was big budget. Totally uncompromising. Maybe the last thrust of 2005-2015 culture.
If not from CDPR or another major dev, it’ll come from an up and coming studio.

Great game, if only for the story, world building, characters and dialogue. I didn't think much of the gameplay but that other stuff is so good I enjoyed myself thoroughly anyway.

Favourite memories? I guess when they meet back up at Kaer Morhen and get drunk. Lots of funny moments.

Mozzarella

The game peaks at the expansions but even the base game had tons of great moments.
One moment for me in the base game was the first time i arrived to Novigrad, i liked how the city felt like actual city.
Hearts of Stone was the Toad fight all the way to Gaunter and Olgerid encounter at the burning mansion, like the whole segment, very engaging stuff.
Blood and Wine was full of memories, one in particular was arriving to the golden fish minigame in Beauclair at the dusk time and the visuals were breathtaking its still in mind mind.

Great game, i have some criticism for it but overall its one of my favorites.

nowhat

I liked the part when I fought a bunch of enemies, felt really badass, and then fell like two meters and died.

Kenpachii

Blood and wine dlc is witcher 3 for me, absolutely amazing atmosphere.

The best quest i found was the fantasy world inside the blood of wine dlc, i think u enter a book. I love magical worlds like this.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I have a lot of fond memories, but Dandelion is in none of them. That dude can f&ck right off. Never hate a character as much as that guy.

Cyberpunkd

Blood and wine dlc is witcher 3 for me, absolutely amazing atmosphere.

The best quest i found was the fantasy world inside the blood of wine dlc, i think u enter a book. I love magical worlds like this.
Be honest, it’s the girl with matches selling drugs that got your interest.

Stafford

I'm playing it now. That update for the current consoles is awesome. Loving the new closer camera, I find it very immersive. I played RDR2 like that too. Playing the new quest now and shit man, it feels so good to be back.

Brilliant game. Cannot wait for Witcher 1 remake and 4, sheeeeeeesh!

Forth

Neophyte
I have just started this today and I just can't get past the weird combat and movement.
I feels so weird and out of place.

SHA

Got lots of fav memories but arriving at Skellige for the first time and seeing the beautiful landscape and hearing the beautiful music knocked the wind out of me. Felt like traveling the wilderness up in the north where I grew up. One of the best open world games ever made. A true masterpiece that I never get tired of.
Skellige exist in Berserk in the Manga, is it a common place in the real world?

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Skellige exist in Berserk in the Manga, is it a common place in the real world?

I always felt Skellige was inspired by Scandinavia, especially Norway and northern parts of Sweden and the beautiful wilderness, fjords and cold climate you can encounter in those regions.

I like the quest where you go back to Kaer Morhen and Geralt and the other witchers get shitfaced and dress up in Yennefers clothes to try and summon sorceresses

Just_one

waited for the longest time to play it on PS5.

when the patch came out tried it and was so disappointed.

all the hype for that? gameplay is so clunky

CashPrizes

On my first full playthru, a year or so after it came out and I had played Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 in the build up to it. At the end of Blood and Wine, I played without reading anything naturally, and I got one of the bad endings. The Queen's sister got murdered, Geralt got blamed, bad guy got away. I really liked her character too so was bummed out. They threw Geralt in jail, just a very low point for the narrative, and then I lost a fist fight to 3 bruisers in jail just barely. Like it felt like I had the edge on them and then it slipped through my fingers and Geralt was beat up and humbled for the first time in like forever.

It is looking like the game is going to end with Geralt rotting in prison and I was now super bummed out but still refusing to save scum. And then out of the blue, I hear a voice from off-screen and knew my salvation was at hand. Best friend Dandelion shows up and rescues Geralt from jail by leveraging his connections with the Queen. I was so relieved after like an hour + of relentlessly sad shit, I definitely shed a manly single tear! That was the only time ever in a game where I felt like this side character is actually my friend and has my back and literally saved my game so I could wrap up the rest of it. Definitely helped land the emotional punch that I had just played through all 3 games and was always pro-Dandelion and saw just about all of his content leading up to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom