• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt (GOTY) rated by PEGI for XSX and PS5

TLZ

Banned
It's free update, how's that milking anything?
Where does it say this? I have the GOTY on PS4 so this would be awesome if I get a free PS5 upgrade.

Edit: Nevermind. Found it!

The next generation edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will release as a standalone purchase for PC, Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5, as well as a free update for everyone who already owns the game on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Last edited:

Markio128

I’m intrigued, but not expecting anything too extravagant. Still, no doubt I’ll be experiencing the Baron’s uplifting story again soon.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
that's correct or at least the general idea.

it's likely that it might not be a patch but instead they will just add the new version to your library. i mean if you're playing the XB1 version on Series X instead of a patch you might need to uninstall the XB1 version and download the Series X. if you don't have it installed then Smart Delivery will download the Series X version instad of Xbox One.

if you have already bought the game you'll get the GOTY version for free. or you can go out and buy the Series X/PS5 version.

What if you, like me, have the game on disc though?

And I'm pretty sure you will NOT be getting GOTY for free. If you own the DLC you can play it in the upgraded version, if you don't you can play the base game (and buy the DLC of course).

Last edited:

xPikYx

They have a lot of questions to answer if this version doesn't look like that 2013 trailer.

We can blame last gen consoles for that if we want to go that route (while ignoring games that look better and actually work mind you) ,but what the fuck they going to say on PS5 and Series X if it doesn't actually look like that 2013 trailer? The downgrade was bad enough, the lies they did during that time was bad enough, but to dead ass find out they also lied ABOUT THE LIE would be pretty fucking damning. Like....was it a downgrade? Did what we saw even fucking exist as a working game or?

RecklessGaseousKingsnake-size_restricted.gif
Modded Wither 3 is not far from that 2013 trailer

The 2013 trailer was a vertical slice, not a game. CDPR confirmed as such later on.

They are not going to re-build the entire game at its foundations and swap out half the assets to make it look like that.

Expect PC max settings with possibly a couple new minor systems tacked-on, like ray-tracing for water reflections, new cloth physics or stuff like that.

Why the hell would you show a vertical slice that isn't representative of the final game at all? they obviously wanted to deliberately mislead to get people talking.

kuncol02

Banned
Why the hell would you show a vertical slice that isn't representative of the final game at all? they obviously wanted to deliberately mislead to get people talking.
They talked about that many times. They planned it to looks like that, but that lighting model was basically impossible to use when they expanded scope.

xPikYx

They talked about that many times. They planned it to looks like that, but that lighting model was basically impossible to use when they expanded scope.
Well that's not Just the lighting model but also the quality and quantity of the assets. Only Thanks to the mods you can push those boundaries and get close to it

What if you, like me, have the game on disc though?

And I'm pretty sure you will NOT be getting GOTY for free. If you own the DLC you can play it in the upgraded version, if you don't you can play the base game (and buy the DLC of course).
i don't know about PS5 but if you have an Xbox One disc and put it into an Xbox Series X then you should get the Series X version. we'll need more info but maybe they are giving the DLC to everyone now? who knows.

Concern

One of the best games last gen but I think I invested too much time in it then for me to do another run.

kuncol02

Banned
Well that's not Just the lighting model but also the quality and quantity of the assets. Only Thanks to the mods you can push those boundaries and get close to it
I don't remember any visible difference in assets. They also had to cut simulated water because of shitty console CPUs.

been holding off on my 5th playthrough waiting for this.

remember they are adding new content. all we know is that it's inspired by the TV show. so i think maybe CDPR is trying to get it out in time for that or has a deal with Netflix.

maybe new appearances for Geralt/Yennefer/Triss/Ciri to make them look similar to Henry, Anya, Anna, and Freya. might be getting ahead of myself but would love some quests related to the show. we'll see what we get though.

It's not a remake or even a remaster, it's barely a soft polish to an aging game.
The current game can only be played at 30 FPS on PS5.

The next-gen patch offers upgrades across the board which means I can finally play it at 60 FPS, with zero load times (they are horrible), upgraded resolution and textures along with ray-tracing.

The game has some of the best replayability value ever and is is deeply intrictate in terms of world design, quests and side quests.

I am not complaining 🙂

Neilg

Like....was it a downgrade? Did what we saw even fucking exist as a working game or?

The vertical slice they build is a big part of figuring out the production schedule and art manpower required - if this part took 50 artists x weeks, how many do we need to hire to release in 2 years?
And what level of detail do we need to cut to, to save enough manpower to actually get it released. Can we make it run on current gen consoles etc.

The rest of the game doesn't exist in that level of detail and never did.

Last edited:

FUBARx89

Sooo… it’s supposed to be released today?

MXdIDq8.jpg

I wouldn't look into that too much tbh. For example, Dying Light 2 on the PEGI site has the following for release date

Release Dates & Platforms:
  • 20/05/2021 - PlayStation 4
  • 20/05/2021 - Xbox One
  • 20/05/2021 - PlayStation 5
  • 20/05/2021 - Xbox Series X|S
  • 20/05/2021 - PC
I think until the game is released it's just the date it's been rated.

They have a lot of questions to answer if this version doesn't look like that 2013 trailer.

We can blame last gen consoles for that if we want to go that route (while ignoring games that look better and actually work mind you) ,but what the fuck they going to say on PS5 and Series X if it doesn't actually look like that 2013 trailer? The downgrade was bad enough, the lies they did during that time was bad enough, but to dead ass find out they also lied ABOUT THE LIE would be pretty fucking damning. Like....was it a downgrade? Did what we saw even fucking exist as a working game or?

Looks shaved from the drawing board , it has something to do with AI and Memory limitations, anything is possible on the drawing board but they have to meet the hardware limitations , I don't think there's a limitless possibilities like what you see from prerendered scenes even in the next 20 yrs cause they follow the same procedure to make "better hardware".

Where did you learn that?

From CDPR:

“Developed to take advantage of the most powerful gaming hardware, the next-gen edition of the game will feature a range of visual and technical improvements — including ray tracing and faster loading times — across the base game, both expansions, and all extra content.”

Granted they didn’t mention 60 FPS but it’s almost a given considering they’re porting to the PS5 and Series X/S and the Series X version already has a 60 FPS option.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This has already been officially announced so it's not really every exciting except in that it hints they're getting closer perhaps.

It doesn't have to be re-rated as it's already on PC and the next gen patch doesn't substantially change the content.

Artistic

I could have swore that the next gen consoles were getting a update via patch?

At least Series X with Smart Delivery.

jason10mm

Gold Member
YES! Now I can tackle the DLC. I would totally play from the start again but only if they add a warp point right outside the castle in Crow's Perch. I had to make that LOOOOONG ass ride across the bridge and through the town so many times, I just can't anymore :p

And NO, do NOT make the characters look like the show. I enjoy the show but take my Yenn and Triss away from me over my dead body!

Top Bottom