• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Nintendo suing Yuzu does this prevent a Switch 2 emulator being made

SNG32

We know that the Switch 2 hardware maybe inferior compared to todays standard im hoping the tech can atleast compete with the steam deck. But with yuzu getting sued do you think this will stop any devs from making an emulator for Switch 2.

Moses85

The Switch 2 will get hacked

Excited Pumped Up GIF by ABC Network

Puscifer

Who knows, maybe the architecture of Switch 2 is going to be similar enough that it's why they're suing Yuzu...
Pretty much, at this point nvidias arm architecture is so engrained and there's already rumors of it being BC. I honestly wonder if they launched a switch 2 exclusive game on it and it worked, this is clearly them trying to get ahead of the pack at this point.

Holammer

I'm thinking the Next-gen Nintendo device is a pimped out Switch using the same carts. With the "pro" offering better framerate/resolution and other goodies, like Microsoft does with the Series S & X. Lots of perks with the approach, except for the fly in the ointment that is emulators.

Someone realized the problem and the quick fix is to intimidate emu devs. I expect them to try Lawfare and demand injunctions to delay or stop development, like Sony did with VGS.

ReyBrujo

The Switch was easy to emulate because the Tegra was well documented. If the Switch 2 uses a custom chip it would be harder to emulate but that doesn't mean it won't be possible. I am pretty sure the Yuzu guys will try to milk their Patreon to the maximum to get a Switch 2 done even with Nintendo suing them.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I believe the Switch 2 emulator is already available on the internet. Since many games will probably be cross-gen, I think there won't be a need for a new emulator. Just like playing BotW with Wii U emulators(or playing Wii U games on Switch). That's why Nintendo is taking action on it.

BloodborneHat3r

Neo Member
💯 otherwise why wait to sue until the end of the Switch's lifecycle. The damage is done to Switch sales and some devs in Yuzu highly likely doesn't have the money to compensate the lost revenue of potential millions of sales.
Also if the architecture of Switch 2 have similarities to Switch then the best people to write a Switch 2 emulator would be the Yuzu/Ryujinx devs.

Sleepwalker

Switch 2 is actually Switch 1.1, that's why they are suing Yuzu.

This is also what I'm thinking. It's going to be an iterative console with a meaningful power upgrade but running the same architecture. I don't doubt emulators will be up and running within the first year or 2 if thats the case.

yurinka

No, people will quickly emulate and hack it unless it uses some weird stuff instead of what I think will use: similar (Nvidia smartphone/tablet) tech than Switch but a bit more powerful with newer stuff slike DLSS.

Phase

These companies can try all they want but there will always be another ready to step up and make an emulator.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Same was said after the DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U, etc.. etc.. were all so easy to hack.
It's different now. Switch is the first Nintendo console that requires a hard mod in order to gain access to homebrew. Everything else could be broken with an SD card and a file system browser
Starting with the mariko models (which are the majority of Switches sold) they patched out the paperclip/RCM exploit. if this security is carried over to switch 2 & improved upon then it'd be a real tough cookie to break. And it's not been broken in 6~ years.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It definitely killed Bleem! I think I still have my Bleemcast for Tekken 3 disc. That was the way to play.
You can kill the company but not the idea though, LOL

My idea is, the new nintendo system shares a lot of architecture and hardware with the older one so to prevent day 1 Emulation support they're trying their damndest to steamroll the emulation scene.

The best way to prevent PC emulation is beefy hardware. I hope Switch 2 got that.
Well, that and great security. N64 was emulated on PCs that were running Half-Life.

Barakov

Gold Member
We know that the Switch 2 hardware maybe inferior compared to todays standard im hoping the tech can atleast compete with the steam deck. But with yuzu getting sued do you think this will stop any devs from making an emulator for Switch 2.
No. All these people have to do is not try to make off of it. Nintendo is probably going after Yuzu because of their patreon.

bigdad2007

My guess is Nintendo did some research and realized Switch 2 is close enough to Switch one that Yuzu could be easily modified to play both. Much like Dolphin plays Wii U and GameCube since the Wii U architecture supported both.

This is why Yuzu now of all times got the lawsuit rather than years ago.

IAmRei

But why? Why dont buy switch "2" instead of emulate it? Switch 2 still not yet officially announced, and yet you make a thread about future emulator.... Geez...

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
My guess is Nintendo did some research and realized Switch 2 is close enough to Switch one that Yuzu could be easily modified to play both. Much like Dolphin plays Wii U and GameCube since the Wii U architecture supported both.

This is why Yuzu now of all times got the lawsuit rather than years ago.

They're suing because in Japan IP copyright laws are far more of a big deal than in the West, in terms of how seriously its taken. The criminal penalties for breaking them are also a lot harsher. Prison is almost always the end result whereas in the West, financial penalties are usually the limit.

Hudo

I find it rather interesting that they did not sue Ryujinx. What does Yuzu have (besides shoddy shortcuts) that Ryujinx doesn't that would warrant getting sued?

daninthemix

I think there's a real chance. If I were you, I'd spend the next 2 years paralyzed with fear about that eventuality.

StueyDuck

Although yes... emulation isn't piracy...

Nothing stops a pirate.

Drm never does and neither will Nintendo clamping down on emulation.

Again emulation isn't piracy, but it is a tool they use so if they need an emulator they'll make sure they'll have one.

The average enthusiast however may be discouraged.

bigdad2007

They're suing because in Japan IP copyright laws are far more of a big deal than in the West, in terms of how seriously it’s taken. The criminal penalties for breaking them are also a lot harsher. Prison is almost always the end result whereas in the West, financial penalties are usually the limit.
Yuzu has been able to play switch games for years. I can remember people making a big deal about how Links Awakening remake on the Switch ran better on PC.

Something recent has triggered them to actually do something about it l.

Hugare

Nah.

I'm betting on a similar hardware that will be hacked pretty early

And Yuzu is getting sued 'cause developers were dumb and got to close to piracy. Being smart about it would be totaly safe.

Sentenza

Emulator will be there year 1 i think.
It depends on few factors, like how well-documented it is as a chipset and how similar it is to the previous one.

If it's just a beefed up Switch 1 in an attempt to maintain maximum backward compatibility, then emulating it would be almost trivial since most of the work in reverse-engineering its architecture would be already done.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

It's different now. Switch is the first Nintendo console that requires a hard mod in order to gain access to homebrew. Everything else could be broken with an SD card and a file system browser
Starting with the mariko models (which are the majority of Switches sold) they patched out the paperclip/RCM exploit. if this security is carried over to switch 2 & improved upon then it'd be a real tough cookie to break. And it's not been broken in 6~ years.

Gamecube needed a hard mod as well. Still does actually, just did one on my childhood gamecube a couple days ago.

SHA

No, they just want to sell more units, it's not about piracy, they don't want to be inferior to their own product cause emulators are just better.

Top Bottom