• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Remote Play and PS Now, would a PlayStation Phone have chance for success?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Xperia Play was an interesting concept and it flopped hard. But I kinda feel that a modern version of a device like this just might be able to get some appeal. I mean I think a lot of the reason Xperia Play didn't interest people was the lack of much these controls could really take advantage of. Most smartphone games are designed purely with touch in mind. There's probably not that much more that a gamer could really get out of the Xperia Play than touch only smartphones at the time. The few smartphone games that might have took advantage of physical controls probably didn't make the product seem worth the investment compared to other better phones especially considering the price.

But with Remote Play and PS Now, I feel that a modern version of this device would have appeal. People take their phones with them wherever they go, and being able to play PS4 games or games from other PS systems with PS Now anywhere on their phones with good controls built in could have decent appeal to gamers. People might not want to bring a separate device like Vita with them, but a phone is a phone. To have an everyday device like that be your portable PS4/3 could have an audience. With decent advertising and a good price point I think it could be somewhat of a winner.

I suppose it would still be a niche device, but perhaps not so niche that it couldn't also be a reasonable success. Also if Sony were to do a device like this, I say just go ahead and call it the PlayStation Phone. It would be straight to the point in appealing who it needs to appeal to. What do you think?

Sony, Nintendo and Sega should read Neogaf more often. It's like the best ideas are right here.

Edit: people dont want a bulky phone with buttons and most PS gamers don't want to game without buttons, so no

Maybe if it looked like that prototype vita clap up phone, and had full vita game support.

A big Xperia play problem was that it didn't play PSP games. It wasn't a PlayStation device. Until I found out how few games it could play, and that you'd have to buy them again, I really wanted one.

Lirrik

Xperia phones already have remote play support, so what will make this phone special? Hardware buttons like on Xperia Play or Vita? Still too niche for a phone, those are not consoles.

Vita is your answer, but Sony gave up on it.

JimboJones

Unlikly imo I think it's more likely that they will push PlayStation apps and plastic clips so you can connect a dual shock controller to their range of phones.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Maybe if it looked like that prototype vita clap up phone, and had full vita game support.

A big Xperia play problem was that it didn't play PSP games. It wasn't a PlayStation device. Until I found out how few games it could play, and that you'd have to buy them again, I really wanted one.

Well the Vita hardware is pretty old now. It wouldn't be out of the question to have a phone that runs on Android and have the Vita OS on it as well. That would be pretty much the best thing ever.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
If the popularity of this thread is representative of how much interest there would be in a PlayStation Phone then it seems pretty clear that I'm probably wrong...

Once people figure out a smooth way to connect their PS4 to their laptop then there will be no need for a playstation phone or tablet.

5taquitos

The control scheme would have to be implemented perfectly, and I don't see how you could get satisfactory physical controls without the form factor becoming non-portable. Even the Vita fails at this, as some games are very difficult to play remotely without physical R2/R3/L2/L3.

Top Bottom