• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the Activision deal possibly being approved, what could stop MS from literally buying the industry at this point

Will MS keep buying studios?

• Yes

Votes: 342 88.1%
  • No

Votes: 46 11.9%

• Total voters

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Like any company buying, it’s easy to stop. Just prove that the deal is bad for consumers and it shouldn’t it be done.

It’s not like there have never been blocked deals. So whatever those lawyers did in those cases to block a merger, they did the right thing to prove it. For whatever reason the FTC couldn’t in this MS/Activision deal even though the deal was announced ages ago.

Robb

Gold Member
Anything MS purchase going forward will probably be investigated since they now own a lot of the industry. I don’t think MS in particular will be allowed to just buy everything.

I think what’s worrisome is that this deal opens the doors for other major players, like Tencent, to just go crazy. Soon 95% of the industry could potentially be owned by 4-5 different companies.

dem

If they were smart... they'd kick ol Phil to the curb and put Bobby Kotick in charge.

I'd be surprised if they don't buy some studios they've been rumored to be after. May take a while though. I think they will have their hands full for quite a while after this deal goes through.

Last edited:
It's hard to see anything that could stop them.

$70 billion is pocket change to them. Once the dust settles they will start to look at what to buy next. They might even be already planning the next purchase.

EA seems like the next logical one. Take Two could happen as well.

Guess we'll see :)

LQX

Doesn't Sony have way more exclusives from SEGA, Capcom, Konami, than MS? You would think quantity would matter more but many seems hang up on COD which likely will never be an exclusive.

graywolf323

they openly said they weren‘t going to stop back at the start of this
Regulators are toothless so they (MSFT) won't be stopping anytime soon, since current marketshare is all it matters, and not how the marketshare will look like in 5 maybe 10 years from now when they've already gobbled up all big 3rd party pubs on the market.
exactly, the EU will be like “oh no, how did Microsoft end up with another monopoly after we let them buy the largest third-party companies in the industry?”
dorothy gale what GIF

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Look at all the devs they have now and look at all the must have AAA amazing exclusives that they simply aren't producing.

I wouldn't be too worried about it to be honest. Nintendo and Sony will keep them at bay by just releasing better games than them.
Exactly this. Microsoft's management structure just doesn't seem to be working for game studios.

People are worried that Call of Duty won't be on PlayStation, but they should probably be more worried about Call of Duty actually existing in 10 years time. Look at Halo as an example.

mckmas8808

Banned
It's hard to see anything that could stop them.

$70 billion is pocket change to them. Once the dust settles they will start to look at what to buy next. They might even be already planning the next purchase.

EA seems like the next logical one. Take Two could happen as well.

Guess we'll see :)

I agree. Over the next 5 years......it's impossible to see MS not spending at least another $50 Billion on buying more publishers.

YCoCg

Gold Member
Nothing can stop them, that's capitalism baby.
anita-popcorn-popcorn.gif

All they have to do is be nice to everyone else (Nintendo, Nvidia, etc) with their deals to prove it's not a monopoly.

Historia

Banned
I agree. Over the next 5 years......it's impossible to see MS not spending at least another $50 Billion on buying more publishers.
Oh boi I can wait to pay 40 dollars/month just to play shitty Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty and EA Sports FC with microtransactions hell even worse than 5 years ago.

For anybody think they will still sell those games, you are delusional. They will lock you in an ecosystem and you will own nothing and be happy about it.

Top Bottom