• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the Activision deal possibly being approved, what could stop MS from literally buying the industry at this point

Will MS keep buying studios?

• Yes

Votes: 342 88.1%
  • No

Votes: 46 11.9%

• Total voters

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Microsoft making such an acquisition now give all the other big fuckers free reign to sniff around the major independent publishers. Before it was maybe it could be a fight for them to launch into the market, but now its an invitation to buy up fucking everything. Your Amazon, Google, Tencent, Meta can say how can my 50bn purchase be anti-competitive when you allowed one of the console makers a 70bn purchase, I don't even have a console platform like MS? They would be well within their rights to ask that question. They will very likely win.

are you concerned that if these companies buy these publishers they make their games exclusive? to what platform and why would that make sense?

MS got this through, because the concern from everyone was that COD could be made exclusive and the FTC tried to argue that that would be bad for competition. Like 40 countries including the UK said this deal was not anti competitive in consoles and MS has no reason to make COD exclusive as it doesnt make business sense. This deal has been scrutinized, extremely scrutinized and the only cause for concern from the UK was cloud gaming.... Which is a tiny market...like tiny...smaller than Ouya lol

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I wonder which console fanboy created this thread?........

I don't get why people just but both consoles. They aren't THAT expensive and they are available (even cheaper with Series S). Unless you are in high school.
What I don't get is the people who buy a PC and an Xbox - but doesn't buy a PS5. Why? I get the comfort in having a desktop setup and a couch setup and be able to start from where you left off in games, but you're also missing out on a great lineup of games.

These are usually the people who are in favor of "more games on more platforms" without taking into consideration that Windows is the only platform.

Fbh

Smallers devs, sure.
But wouldn't they face even stricter regulatory restrictions if they try to buy another big publishers (like EA or Ubisoft) after already having acquired Activision?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
are you concerned that if these companies buy these publishers they make their games exclusive? to what platform and why would that make sense?

MS got this through, because the concern from everyone was that COD could be made exclusive and the FTC tried to argue that that would be bad for competition. Like 40 countries including the UK said this deal was not anti competitive in consoles and MS has no reason to make COD exclusive as it doesnt make business sense. This deal has been scrutinized, extremely scrutinized and the only cause for concern from the UK was cloud gaming.... Which is a tiny market...like tiny...smaller than Ouya lol

The key issue I think is that a lot of people understand the value of the various pieces of the equation, but have an imperfect understanding of how they fit together, and what the final picture looks like once everything is assembled.

For example, if you look at what the "crown jewel" IP are in the ABK portfolio, they aren't all console properties. Blizzard is primarily PC and mobile, and King is almost all mobile. CoD's superficially a good focal point for argument because its a major presence on all 3 fronts, and with Sony being the biggest single beneficiary of its success outside of ABK itself, gives a natural plaintiff figure for damages incurred by the merger.

This is I assume why the FTC focussed so hard on this specifically.

The real problem though is that although "Cloud" right now isn't such a large market, in the long term it could become the dominant distribution pipeline for gaming across console, and PC, and mobile. What's primarily holding it back is the lack of "must have" content, which is the shortcoming MS are addressing with these huge IP acquisitions.

The first step is simple inclusion of big IP, to drive subscriptions that feed back to cloud pipeline. The next is price adjustment to leverage the value of accessing the IP via cloud as opposed to legacy distribution models. This need not be so obvious as jacking up prices of physical media, it can be incentivized with bonus content exclusive to service users, or discounts to add-ons purchased as part of the service.

Then of course the next step is materially leveraging consumption via the service; build in reliance on streaming tech to the product be it for basic function or simply offering visual or performance advantages over the legacy offer. Obvious example being to push Series S as the primary hardware offering whilst simultaneously populating XCloud server racks with Series X hardware.

The final step of course is simply to stop offering this "must have" content anywhere outside of the cloud pipeline. At which point there is no competition to worry about as everything is under the same roof. And the real beauty of the strategy is this is a form of dominance that extends beyond just consoles, it encompasses PC and Mobile too because its platform agnostic.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The key issue I think is that a lot of people understand the value of the various pieces of the equation, but have an imperfect understanding of how they fit together, and what the final picture looks like once everything is assembled.

For example, if you look at what the "crown jewel" IP are in the ABK portfolio, they aren't all console properties. Blizzard is primarily PC and mobile, and King is almost all mobile. CoD's superficially a good focal point for argument because its a major presence on all 3 fronts, and with Sony being the biggest single beneficiary of its success outside of ABK itself, gives a natural plaintiff figure for damages incurred by the merger.

This is I assume why the FTC focussed so hard on this specifically.

The real problem though is that although "Cloud" right now isn't such a large market, in the long term it could become the dominant distribution pipeline for gaming across console, and PC, and mobile. What's primarily holding it back is the lack of "must have" content, which is the shortcoming MS are addressing with these huge IP acquisitions.

The first step is simple inclusion of big IP, to drive subscriptions that feed back to cloud pipeline. The next is price adjustment to leverage the value of accessing the IP via cloud as opposed to legacy distribution models. This need not be so obvious as jacking up prices of physical media, it can be incentivized with bonus content exclusive to service users, or discounts to add-ons purchased as part of the service.

Then of course the next step is materially leveraging consumption via the service; build in reliance on streaming tech to the product be it for basic function or simply offering visual or performance advantages over the legacy offer. Obvious example being to push Series S as the primary hardware offering whilst simultaneously populating XCloud server racks with Series X hardware.

The final step of course is simply to stop offering this "must have" content anywhere outside of the cloud pipeline. At which point there is no competition to worry about as everything is under the same roof. And the real beauty of the strategy is this is a form of dominance that extends beyond just consoles, it encompasses PC and Mobile too because its platform agnostic.

Great post.

Yeah, I still think that people...us, as a whole...we hold a lot more power than a lot of people like to let on and if the content or delivery is not good enough then the product will not be successful. Until cloud gaming delivers an experience so close to a natively played game, to the point that it is hardly negligible between native and streamed, then it will not take off with the masses. It simply wont imo. Maybe I am wrong but I feel pretty confident about that.

It's like the judge clearly said to the FTC lawyer. None of this was to protect Sony, it is to offer consumers better choice and to ensure there is competition. Maybe cloud will take off, maybe it wont..maybe it will pay off for those that invested early, Like Microsoft or maybe they will throw money at something that never truly explodes. Ultimately, it will be consumers who decide what they want.

Lunarorbit

Besides ubisoft what developers/publishers have had a hostile take over attempt?

I don't trust ms leadership, especially after the zenimax deal, to handle studio additions with care. Their messaging has been fucked up to the public and to their studios.

If Capcom or Konami got bought by ms I'd be totally crestfallen

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Screenshot_20230711_192210_Twitter.jpg

BootsLoader

Banned
They will not and they are just starting... there is only one company screwed and it is not MS.
Nah, definitely no. You’ll see. Microsoft always bought big and good studios and ruined them. So I’m not sure if they just start.
They also have very very bad management in game developing. You don’t win just by buying studios.
With your logic, Google should have won the gaming industry with Stadia.

Gorgon

What I don't get is the people who buy a PC and an Xbox - but doesn't buy a PS5. Why? I get the comfort in having a desktop setup and a couch setup and be able to start from where you left off in games, but you're also missing out on a great lineup of games.

Because "great games" by itself means nothing. There's also "great books" out there that I'll never touch. Same for everything, really. It boils down to being drawn to those games or not. It's not like MS or Sony has hundreds or thousands of exclusive AA and AAA games. They have a handful only. Not really surprising if that doesn't reach the critical mass necessary for person A or B to decide to buy a PS or Xbox or Nintendo or PC to complement whatever else they have.

Example: I bought an XSX a few months ago. First MS console I bought (and maybe the last if I decide to go back to PC after more than a decade of absence). Why? Because they bought Bethesda, Obsidian, inExile, and Ninja Theory. As it happens, I really care about WRPGs, and those studios are now exclusive. Also as it happens, this is the first gen in which I don't give two fucks about SONY's first party titles. Outside of Ghost of Tsushima (which I haven't even finished yet), I couldn't care less about Spiderman, TLOUs, Uncharted, and whatnot. It's not that they aren't "great games"; it's that being "great" by itself doesn't mean shit if you ain't interested to begin with.

Noxxera

Banned
Well, at least you're honest and admit everything is fine as long as you get your games on your platform of choice, even if that means others can't access those games.

Après moi, le déluge.
Well of course you sony boys want every good games on there LOL.

Just realized we're just alike then. But to be clear I'm not a xbox fanboy, I have both consoles and like them both. In fact I'd say Playstation is the superior experience and I'm totally behind the purchase if that will improve the games blizzard does, which I as a layman, think it will. About CoD I dont give a shit about that franchise the 12 year olds can play those trash games. MW2 from like 2011 is lit tho, and MW1.

Last edited:

cireza

Because "great games" by itself means nothing. There's also "great books" out there that I'll never touch. Same for everything, really. It boils down to being drawn to those games or not. It's not like MS or Sony has hundreds or thousands of exclusive AA and AAA games. They have a handful only. Not really surprising if that doesn't reach the critical mass necessary for person A or B to decide to buy a PS or Xbox or Nintendo or PC to complement whatever else they have.

Example: I bought an XSX a few months ago. First MS console I bought (and maybe the last if I decide to go back to PC after more than a decade of absence). Why? Because they bought Bethesda, Obsidian, inExile, and Ninja Theory. As it happens, I really care about WRPGs, and those studios are now exclusive. Also as it happens, this is the first gen in which I don't give two fucks about SONY's first party titles. Outside of Ghost of Tsushima (which I haven't even finished yet), I couldn't care less about Spiderman, TLOUs, Uncharted, and whatnot. It's not that they aren't "great games"; it's that being "great" by itself doesn't mean shit if you ain't interested to begin with.
Why move on to Xbox though if you enjoy gaming on PC, especially with WRPG where you often manage a lot of things, icons, and have a lot of small text to read ? Many of these games are not well optimized for gaming at a distance on TV, in my opinion.

This is actually a problem for me because I am interested in these games, but no way I am going to build a PC for this. Too expensive, too bulky etc... But on console ? Yeah, I don't really see how I could tolerate a game like Baldur's Gate 3 (which looks simply amazing) with the tiny text, icons and the obvious comfort you get with a mouse.

I will probably give it a try nonetheless, and Starfield as well. But Cyberpunk was super painful as far as I am concerned. Inventory, shops, skill trees etc... were wayyy too small.

Last edited:

Gorgon

Why move on to Xbox though if you enjoy gaming on PC, especially with WRPG where you often manage a lot of things, icons, and have a lot of small text to read ? Many of these games are not well optimized for gaming at a distance on TV, in my opinion.

This is actually a problem for me because I am interested in these games, but no way I am going to build a PC for this. Too expensive, too bulky etc... But on console ? Yeah, I don't really see how I could tolerate a game like Baldur's Gate 3 (which looks simply amazing) with the tiny text, icons and the obvious comfort you get with a mouse.

Because more than 10 years ago I got fed up with assembling PCs from ordered online parts, overclocking CPUs, upgrading GPUs, spending money on it every couple of years, and all that jazz. PS3 was the first console I had and by the time I got the PS4 I left PC gaming behind. Don't regret it at all except I miss mods. I may go back to PC next gen and drop the Xbox.

So far, no problem playing on TV instead of monitor. As for the controller, small sacrifice. I also suspect a lot of PC gamers are connecting their PCs to the big screem and using controllers, even for something like BG3? Curious to know.

twilo99

Yes some UK government agency is trying to prevent two American companies from doing business together for some abstract reasons..

Deal is ~70% done

It really makes no sense that American tax payers are covering the defense bill of a Japanese company against two American based companies.

Congressman Nadler from today

“A strong FTC that vigorously enforces the antitrust laws would be great, but in the Microsoft-Activision Blizzard case many consumers--in that case, gamers--were shocked that counsel for the FTC sounded much like chief negotiators for a foreign company named Sony.”

twilo99

i wouldn’t get all excited that this deal is closing. The CMA is completely off their rocker, and they don’t seem to answer to anybody.

The FTC was always going to lose in a real court.

You are probably right, this appeal case seems very strong and the CMA will never agree to anything.

Top Bottom