• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the reveal of Armor Core 6 Gameplay: Mech Games Appreciation Thread

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why not both? Do you hate technically modern graphics?
honestly in most western games as the graphics gets more high tech the visuals becomes more realistic and dull and character designs becomes more ugly, what part of that am I supposed to be excited about?

In reality no, especially games with more unique and niche design cant effort to go all high budget, devs would go bankrupt.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Danjin44 Danjin44 Agree to disagree.

My dream game would be a Wide-linear mech game with:

Decima engine.
Large scale battles.
Real destruction.
Compelling story.
Mech customization.
In-mech and on foot combat.
High end production values.

If I was a billionaire I would legit fund this game myself, and the sequel after it sold 40 million.
Only thing id change is its gotta be UE5 if not just for the fact that Robot/Mechs would benefit from Nanite more than anything else.

CGNoire

I mean, i could also say:

"oh yeah a cyberpunk game with top-of-the-line graphics, ultra in-depth role playing and character building - oh and ALSO the best cyberpunk story evah! - on a multiplanetary scale, and everything including the planets are 100% destructible. Oh, and the gazillion people living in this world all have their own backstories and routines and affect the world from their individual perspective"

Anyone can dream any bullshit game without actually giving it any further thought.
Whats your point? Of course its not a real game he was suggesting nor was it even far fetched. Your hyperbolic response doesnt even remotely sound similar.

CGNoire

Do you lack reading comprehension? Read that thread again.

Also, the votes were split down the middle. Half the people who read the thread were in agreement.

Honestly, some people want to see the medium evolve, try new things. Some people are cool with how it is.

You and Guilty_AI Guilty_AI fall into the latter group from what I gather.
Its worse than that some of them arent even satisfied enough in there celebrated mediocrity that they decide to take it out on you for having the audacity to even atempt to rock the boat.

Esca

Phantom Crash
Metal Head
Chrome Hounds
Steel Battalion
Battletech/Mechwarrior

Lots others. Mechwarrior 6 is in development for a few years now so we'll see how that goes.
I'm playing career mode again with all the dlc

CGNoire

No, you cannot. Game-development isn't vodoo magic, there are things that can and can't be done.

I like seeing the medium evolve, but graphics-rendering is far from what i'd consider a priority nowadays on that end. If anything i'd say graphics whoring is just holding the medium back.

Heck, you said "Large scale battles. Real destruction.". Do you think thats feasible nowadays? Even with the best of the best in terms of hardware?

It isn't, destruction tech has a loooong way to go still, even on smaller scales, let alone in a large scale battle with tons of npcs and enviromental props.
What are talking about? In Gtav you can cause a 20 car backup of ai and cars and take on police all while fire barrages of grenadea into traffic and have cars exploding and AI all over the place....in a AAA game released 10 years ago.

Man modern devs have made you all complacent. You guys have zero ambition.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

What are talking about? In Gtav you can cause a 20 car backup of ai and cars and take on police all while fire barrages of grenadea into traffic and have cars exploding and AI all over the place....in a AAA game released 10 years ago.

Man modern devs have made you all complacent. You guys have zero ambition.
...and buildings stay intact all the while. And trees for some reason. Then all of that things disappear as if they never existed as soon as you leave the area for a bit.

Not to mention how none of that destruction can even be called "real". They're just abstractions and extremely rough approximations done for the sake of giving the game some sense dynamism. It isn't a bad decision from a design perpective... but that is not "real destruction".

Last edited:

CGNoire

...and buildings stay intact all the while. And trees for some reason. Then all of that things disappear as if they never existed as soon as you leave the area for a bit.

Not to mention how none of that destruction can even be called "real". They're just abstractions and extremely rough approximations done for the sake of giving the game some sense dynamism. It isn't a bad decision from a design perpective... but that is not "real destruction".
I agee 100% but I dont think he meant "real" as in every building is made up of hundreds of thousands of indiviually physically calculated bricks ,sheetrock and rebar etc....

Guilty_AI

I agee 100% but I dont think he meant "real" as in every building is made up of hundreds of thousands of indiviually physically calculated bricks ,sheetrock and rebar etc....
Knowing his opinions on things, he meant precisely that.

Anyway, mech games. Here's a free mech game people

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
No, you cannot. Game-development isn't vodoo magic, there are things that can and can't be done.

Absolutely nothing i said is impossible. Just because it hasn’t happened doesn’t mean it won’t. Or is impossible.

One of the reasons I made a thread campaigning for shorter games was to see things like large scale battles with destruction. Somehow Danjin44 Danjin44 read that purely as me only wanting “better graphics”
I like seeing the medium evolve, but graphics-rendering is far from what i'd consider a priority nowadays on that end. If anything i'd say graphics whoring is just holding the medium back.
It’s not just about graphics. Destruction, large scale battles, etc are all part of overall fidelity. These are things we discuss in the “graphical fidelity I expect next gen” thread
Heck, you said "Large scale battles. Real destruction.". Do you think thats feasible nowadays? Even with the best of the best in terms of hardware?
Absolutely. But devs arent making it a priority. Instead they are making MASSIVE open world games with barely any interactivity. Scale down the scope. Stop making your games bigger and make them better.
It isn't, destruction tech has a loooong way to go still, even on smaller scales, let alone in a large scale battle with tons of npcs and enviromental props.
Yea. That’s why we need trailblazers. some developer needs to walk that long road and break new grounds. It’s not like it’s impossible. It just takes an ambitious team. That’s what we want to see. Again, just because it hasn’t t been done doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Destruction is possible once you prioritize it. You telling me if ND said “we’re going to make a game with large scale battles and destruction” they couldn’t do it? Of course they could. You make it a priority and it will happen after years of hard work.
Where is this industries Cameron? Who are the ones pushing technological limits. It’s not impossible. Just takes ambition, vision, talent and budget.

Guilty_AI

It’s not just about graphics. Destruction, large scale battles, etc are all part of overall fidelity. These are things we discuss in the “graphical fidelity I expect next gen” thread
Destruction goes far beyond mere graphical fidelity. Not only it cannot be processed the same way we do with graphics rendering, it also deeply affects game design.

Absolutely. But devs arent making it a priority. Instead they are making MASSIVE open world games with barely any interactivity. Scale down the scope. Stop making your games bigger and make them better.
Dude, large scale battles REQUIRE big open worlds. What you're suggesting is anything but smaller in scope.

Yea. That’s why we need trailblazers. some developer needs to walk that long road and break new grounds. It’s not like it’s impossible. It just takes an ambitious team. That’s what we want to see. Again, just because it hasn’t t been done doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Destruction is possible once you prioritize it. You telling me if ND said “we’re going to make a game with large scale battles and destruction” they couldn’t do it? Of course they could. You make it a priority and it will happen after years of hard work.
Where is this industries Cameron? Who are the ones pushing technological limits. It’s not impossible. Just takes ambition, vision, talent and budget.
We do have trailblazers. And its through them we know the limitations of our current tech and hardware.

Voxel based, still not 100% true-to-life destruction, small levels. THAT is literally the best we currently have in the area of destructible enviroments, both in terms of tech and game design... and it can already bring the best of cpus to their knees depending on the scale and complexity of the level (which again, is already fairly small).

You telling me if ND said “we’re going to make a game with large scale battles and destruction” they couldn’t do it?
Yes thats exactly what i'm telling you, and statements like this are what would make you a bad game developer. ND could barely port a game to another platform, let alone make something totally out of their comfort zone.
Its a very very poor choice of developer for the kind of game you want (and a very poor choice of engine too, considering what Decima is good at), you'd want instead someone like Bohemian Rhapsody Interactive who has actual experience with physics simulation, destructible enviroments and large scale battles. Not someone who specializes in cinematic ultra-linear games set in medium-small enviroments with minimal interactibility.

Last edited:

kunonabi

rysGiY6.jpg

A real gem

Corian33

I don’t think anyone has mentioned it yet. Heavy Gear II was a blast right up there with MechWarrior 2/3 back in the day.

Havoc2049

Are they any good?
The MechAssault games are solid arcade/sim light action adventure games set in the Battletech universe. The campaigns aren't incredibly long, but the games also had a robust online or system link multiplayer and co-op modes (horde mode).

Here is a nice hardcore deep dive into the MechAssault games:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries is still the best and the best reason to have a flight stick. Just love how it feels. Not so much into anime mechs since they tend to just feel like 3rd person action games just with mechs instead of people, rather than war machines. Except Gungriffon, the first two were ace.

Though when anime robot games tried to be more simy they were all the better for it too, case in point Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise from the Ashes.

And others are rad as action games, like Bulk Slash or, naturally, Virtual On which is more of a fighting game and works pretty great.

Some cockpit play of MW4 cos that's how it's meant to be played, it's hard to find decent videos.

Btw the game works excellently with the original discs/isos, official update, a no cd/fixed exe if you don't have a working drive and dgVoodoo2. There's no need for any fan patched/newly abandoned versions that likely make more of a mess in compatibility/performance than just going with this.​

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Not sure if its mentioned already but probably Zone of Enders series is one of the best mech like games out there on consoles?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Huh, I only just discovered there was a decent looking Japan only Gundam game on Wii. It kinda looks like it takes after the cool & simy Dreamcast game. Which itself took after the Saturn Side Story games which were also in first person but more simplistic in their approach given the gulf in tech.

Severe frame drops aside (maybe fixable in Dolphin with a 60fps code?) I'd love to play it for sure if there was a good translation I could understand. It seems like the best Gundam games are the most obscure. Maybe with the exception of the Gundam VS series which has had some visibility.​

Last edited:
Top Bottom