• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WIzards and Warriors. Horrible Game, Great Soundtrack....how?

Ferrio

Banned
How does stuff like this happen? It was a pretty awful game (though nostalgia slants me otherwise) but the music is soooo awesome....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hey, it happens...

I mean, from what I hear, Soukaigi was a pretty bad game...but the music is absolutely incredible. There are plenty of similar stories...

Mashing

Are we talking the Rare game or the PC game released about 3 years ago?

I actually like the Rare game (bad boxart not included)

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I liked wizards and warriors. So many frustrating memories...

Like that god damn jump from the bubble up to the left in the center of the fire area. That jump is even more infamous amongst me and my friends than the sewer hop in TMNT 1 >_<

most difficult jump, ever.

Ferrio

Banned
belgurdo said:
I remember the game being more unplayable than bad (since your boy had feet made of ice or something.)

But hey, I can't think of any other game with such useless items as the Invisible Cape which made it impossible to tell where the hell you were, or the lava riding shoes.

This goes for those broken messes SaGa Frontier II and Unlimited SaGa. They totally don't deserve their soundtracks, which are among the best in recent years. Masashi Hamauzu is awesome.

I never liked the game, but I never had problems with the actual controls. The jumping and stuff was pretty damn exact... it's just that everything you had to land on was miniscule. His sword sucked as well. He kind of just shook it back and forth a few inches from his body. No clue how it hurt anything.

I much preferred Iron Sword. I've never played the third game.

dark10x

I can't stop thinking about that Iron Sword commerical where "Kuros" busts into some kids room...

Oh, that's too damn funny...

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Apart from the obvious unforgettable classics (Mario, mainly -- the coin/1up sounds, etc.), W&W has some of the best 8-bit sound design in general.

I dug the gameplay too, though.

SantaC

Gold Member
I loved the W&W trilogy! And actually the third game was the best of them all. It's a shame because it was released too late in the NES era.

I remember reading in a Nintendo magazine that Kuros was on his way to snes, it never happend. Sniff :(

dark10x

On a related note, I also hate when the OPPOSITE occurs (though obviously not as much). When a great game is released with a BAD soundtrack, it prevents the game from leaving as large of an impression on me. Wind Waker is a GREAT example of this. A really good score could have really made a big difference for me...

Kobun Heat said:
Not to mention Legend of Mana, Xenogears, and Donkey Kong Country...

Oh come on, Xenogears wasn't BAD...it just ran in a direction that a lot of people really hate.

SantaC

Gold Member
On a related note, I also hate when the OPPOSITE occurs (though obviously not as much). When a great game is released with a BAD soundtrack, it prevents the game from leaving as large of an impression on me. Wind Waker is a GREAT example of this. A really good score could have really made a big difference for me...

Castlevania: HoD was also a good example of this. It's a disgrace to all great Cv soundtracks :(

dark10x said:
Agreed. I wish Mario Sunshine had a better soundtrack too.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
950078b.jpg

Bad game, AMAZING soundtrack.

SantaC

Gold Member
I remember that Nintendo used 4 different music composers in Zelda WW and yet it didn't turn out to the usual Zelda quality.

Thaedolus said:
This is the reason you got the cape!

Oh yeah! I used to love hearing that little tune! I still knew every one of these songs as soon as they started.

That site is also really useful to me because it helped me remember that, yes, I did indeed beat W&W. I seriously thought that I got stuck at some point, but now I recall facing Malkil and seeing that pathetic 'rescue/end' scene.

It must have been Ironsword I was thinking of. I never finished that one and never even saw what W&W3 looked like.

SantaC

Gold Member
in W&W3 you could turn into a wizards, theif and knight. Then you had 3 different upgrades of each. It definitley was a deeper game than the previous two.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Wizards & Warriors is one of the few games I've defeated without continuing.

And I fully agree the game has great music and atmosphere.

jett

D-Member
Nearly all of Rare's games have amazing soundtracks. Specially their NES games and the DKC series. David Wise is extremely underrated.

Tritroid

Wizards and Warriors was a great game, for it's time anyway. The vertical platformer did sometimes get rather frustrating. Especially the level where you had to scale the castle wall. I think I busted a couple controllers over that bitch. :p

Ironsword however, completely killed the original:

ironsword-box.jpg

Better soundtrack, better looking sprites, more imaginative levels, better bosses, and a plot that actually made good sense.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Unlimited Saga comes to mind... Amazing Music, unpolished gameplay

man, i LOVED wizards & warriors back in the day...
especially the soundtrack!
i liked ironsword too...
never played part 3 though...

they were a pretty good games...

Top Bottom