• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Udio Released, Generative AI for music - Lets prompt music for videogames that never existed

sachos

This site released a couple of days ago, its in beta and you can sign up to create up to 600 songs per month for free (after beta it will be paid im sure).

The songs it can create are actually pretty good (at least for a music noob like myself), i think it just passed the "earworm test" for me with this Dune Broadway Musical https://www.udio.com/songs/eY7xtug1dV6hbfCDhyHJua i woke up today with the song stuck in my head.

It's basically Interdimensional Cable for Music, just browsing the site is so much fun, discovering weird music every second, the user friendliness of the site is really important.
There is a chance that at some point in the future we may even get a similar site for video game generation, like a generative version of Itch.io once Sora like models get closer to real time rendering. I guess the problem here would be the interactivity although Cloud gaming is alreay growing and getting better with quality/lag.

Back to Udio, the potential systems like this have for Indie devs are huge, generating quality soundtracks for smal dev teams otherwise unreachable. Here are some Doom like tunes https://www.udio.com/songs/s57gWkoWhkEJvMsCN8ydEw

Let's get creative and try to prompt some soundtrack for videogames never existed, like that thread when Dall-e 3 got released.
Or we can just prompt meme songs about console wars, like this one "Console Wars Chronicles" https://www.udio.com/songs/sGc4WFwP8NPLGZR8CLBZky (i wrote the lyrics with help of Gemini for this one)

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
What in the fuck key is that in? It sounds like B half-flat? (Which, frankly, is something Mick Gordon would probably do, so…)

Udio definitely seems to be the king at imitating specific artists. It also has some of the best artifact reduction in AI music gen. But, at least in my testing, it’s not nearly as temporally stable as Suno.

Either way, this is just the beginning. Give it less than a year and this tech will be production-ready.

Any creatives out there should treasure these last few years where their talent is actually valued. But don’t worry, AI is gonna disrupt (if not ruin) most jobs over the next 2-10 years.

Last edited:
Makes me feel like dancing

Dance Dancing GIF

platina

This is amazing.

- 10 to 50 person team of talented/passionate devs just like psx/ps2 era

- No hidden bullshit agenda or forced representation

- No need for astronomical budgets due to the efficiency of ai making tasks infinitely easier

- Still at the infancy stage yet there are developers already using ai in some way

- Massive improvements in engine efficiency. Hell I’d bet there will be a point when ai will be able to make its own graphics engine, can you imagine?

Of course that’s the dream, let’s see how long it takes us to get there

Last edited:

Mikado

- No hidden bullshit agenda or forced representation

eh-we-will-see-larry-david.gif

I can draw some sweet titties.
I can even model some in ZBrush.
It very unlikely I can ask Midjourney to generate me some. Or whatever Microsoft's thing is. Or google's. Maaaybe some Stable Diffusion implementation run locally would do it. But even then, it depends on the training data I can obtain.

Dr_Salt

This thing is amazing. Made a metal song, a 80s glam song and a ska punk song all with lyrics that made fun of my friends and they came out pretty good.

sachos

What in the fuck key is that in? It sounds like B half-flat? (Which, frankly, is something Mick Gordon would probably do, so…)

Udio definitely seems to be the king at imitating specific artists. It also has some of the best artifact reduction in AI music gen. But, at least in my testing, it’s not nearly as temporally stable as Suno.

Either way, this is just the beginning. Give it less than a year and this tech will be production-ready.

Any creatives out there should treasure these last few years where their talent is actually valued. But don’t worry, AI is gonna disrupt (if not ruin) most jobs over the next 2-10 years.
I don't know what key it is in since im a total music noob. I know that it is starting to sound good enough to be the BGM of a small indie game though, as you say give it a couple of years and should be good enough. Major problem right now is its 30 seconds limit, you can extend it but it seems to start sounding a little bit different.

AI will definitely disrupt jobs but AI "art" in particular may even end up making traditional artists more valuable for a portion of the population (being optimistic here). Imagine bands that dedicate themselves to covering AI songs live.

platina

Last edited:

Fredrik

I don’t think AI can take over like that, maybe for some boring pop music that never had any creative thinking anyway but not for any music I listen to.

But I’ve never earned a cent for my music anyway so I’ll just continue as I’ve always done, it’s a life long hobby and helps me filter the thoughts of my chaotic mind.

CuNi

Pretty cool. But seems far behind Suno: https://suno.com/create

This site lets you do 2 minute songs, seems more refined in general. Check it out.
I feel the exact opposite.

While Suno lets you generate 2-minute songs at once, it's far more prone to be filled with noise and because of the length, you need to extend many times from the middle of the track.
Udio has way clearer Audio and better control. You can even start with the Chorus and Generate out from there.

Both have Pros and Cons over each other, but so far I definitely prefer Udio over Suno mostly because of Song clarity.
Suno's songs are in 192kbps, while Udio creates in 320kbps.

Top Bottom