• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 6•24-26•16 - ID4:2 & Deadpool bump (lol) not enough; Dory just keeps swimming~

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

l5TYq8F.jpg
rkvwBpV.jpg
5OCUzPN.jpg
FMeRMTY.jpg
cfffXw0.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
94% Finding Dory
eptv7.gif
33% Independence Day: Resurgence
kavuF.gif
65% Central Intelligence
8vteV.gif
74% The Shallows
5f4ew.gif
40% Free State of Jones
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
48% The Neon Demon

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Finding Dory’ Drowns Out Disappointing ‘Independence Day: Resurgence’

“Finding Dory” showed plenty of box office staying power with $73.2 million in an otherwise modest weekend at the North America box office as “Independence Day: Resurgence” invaded with a disappointing $41.6 million.

A week after energizing the summer season, Disney/Pixar’s “Finding Dory” declined only 46% and generated the eighth-highest second weekend of all time, edging “Captain America: Civil War.” It’s also the best second weekend for an animated title.

“Finding Dory,” the sequel to 2003’s “Finding Nemo,” is already the sixth-highest domestic grosser of 2016 after ten days with $285.6 million — less than $100 million short of the final total for “Nemo.”

Fox’s “Independence Day: Resurgence” finished about 20% below recent forecasts, which had pegged the sequel to match the $50 million opening weekend from the 1996 original. It edged “Kung Fu Panda 2” as the eighth-largest opening of 2016.

“Resurgence” brought back the same fearsome aliens from the original, again bent on destroying the Earth. Will Smith, who broke out in the original, did not return to battle the invaders although Bill Pullman, Vivica Fox and Jeff Goldblum reprised their characters with newcomers Liam Hemsworth and Jessie Usher coming on board.

Roland Emmerich returned to the director’s chair to helm the $165 million tentpole, which will require strong performances from international markets to become profitable.

Blake Lively’s shark tale “The Shallows” performed above forecasts with a $16 million launch for Sony while Matthew McConaughey’s historical drama “Free State of Jones” started quietly with $7.8 million for STX.

The weekend results underline how dominant Disney has been in 2016 with “Captain America: Civil War,” “The Jungle Book” and “Zootopia” all topping the $340 million mark after “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” generated massive holdover grosses in January.

For its part, Fox generated a surprise smash with “Deadpool” taking in $363 million domestically and solid returns from “X-Men: Apocalypse” — which brought in $2.5 million in its sixth weekend to lift its domestic total to $151 million.

“The Shallows,” which centers on Lively’s bikini-clad character battling for survival in a shark’s feeding ground, generated a B+ Cinemascore and nearly matched its modest $17 million price tag.

“Free State of Jones,” starring McConaughey as the leader of a rebellion against the Confederacy, cost $50 million to make but STX’s exposure is under $10 million.

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Finding Nemo is the greatest film ever made, bar none. Was Dory any good at all? Going to watch it either way but the trailer was as though the director was just following Finding Nemo pretty much, which there's no need for.

Look at the Shallows almost clearing its budget in a single weekend

Finding Nemo is the greatest film ever made, bar none. Was Dory any good at all? Going to watch it either way but the trailer was as though the director was just following Finding Nemo pretty much, which there's no need for.

Finding Nemo isn't the best film ever made.
Dory is a good movie
It's not "following Finding Nemo" pretty much.
This is why trying to judge the entire contents of a film by two minutes of a commercial is a bad idea

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Is Zootopia ever leaving the box office, it feels like it'll chart till its sequel

FTF

Wow, that's a sad pta for The Neon Demon...why did they think releasing it in so many theaters was a good idea?

Shallows might have a pretty decent run, honestly. It'll have cleared budget domestically by Monday, reviews were good and word of mouth was high, and the rest of the cineplex isn't running anything very good besides Dory.

People might be spending the next couple weeks deciding between checking out the fish movie or the shark one.

Calamari41

41 > 38

The quality overall, I would say, is on par with the original. The stakes aren't as high, and I would describe it more as a great "Tales from the world of Nemo" kind of thing rather than the more "epic quest" that was the original.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Well it looks like I was very wrong about ID managing to hit 60M opening weekend
im really very poor at these predictions

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Civil War - $1.147B
Zootopia - $1.017B
The Jungle Book - $930M
Warcraft - $412M ($221M from China)
Finding Dory - $397M
Alice: Through the Looking Glass - $249M
Now You See Me 2 - $160M ($44M first weekend in China)
Independence Day Resurgence - $143M

Sean C

Disney's voodoo curse on all the other studios is still in effect, I see. This has been an underwhelming blockbuster season, both creatively and commercially.

OSHAN

Wow, that's a sad pta for The Neon Demon...why did they think releasing it in so many theaters was a good idea?

I was surprised to see it releasing as wide as it did, especially considering there was very little, if any, marketing for the movie. It's purely anecdotal, but no one at work knew about this movie when we were discussing weekend plans. Same goes for my wife at her work place.

I saw the 7 o'clock show on Saturday and there were five people total in the theater, including my wife and me. And, oddly enough, it was playing at the theater which has ID4 and Dory and what have you, while the local theatre which normally gets the more limited releases didn't get it.

kswiston

who the hell keeps up with Ryan Reynolds news?

You didn't follow the gripping tale of true love on the set of Green Lantern?!?

I only know they were married because GAF had a debate on whether Lively was an upgrade or downgrade from Scarlet Johanssen a couple of years ago. A google search solved the rest.

WillyFive

Once it stops trying to copy Nemo in it's first 15 minutes, it is a really good movie.

Terrible thread title as usual

Great showing for the Shallows and Dory. ayy lmao @ IDR. And if A24 has its way with Sea of Trees, this wont even be the worst mcconaughey movie this year.

kswiston

Blizzard won't have to: Legendary is owned by a Chinese theater chain now.

They own AMC as well.

ID4R managed to make $102M overseas this weekend. Only $37M of that was from China, so it must have done decently in some other territories. There are a few remaining European territories to launch in coming weeks, but we're probably looking at $300M or so overseas. Definitely this year's Terminator Genisys.

Raxus

This may be the last week Zootopia charts. If so, salute.

Your only mistake Zootopia is you came out on blu ray.

The quality overall, I would say, is on par with the original. The stakes aren't as high, and I would describe it more as a great "Tales from the world of Nemo" kind of thing rather than the more "epic quest" that was the original.
Yeah I think if I could pinpoint my problem with finding dory its that it could probably have been a 30 minute short on ABC. It had that same feel that those toy story ones did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom