• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 5•31-6•2•13 - Eisenberg, right ahead! of Mr & Mr Smith, Whitta am cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alrus

So is STID considered a success financially at this point?

Doubt it, it's only at 335m worldwide, which isn't very good on a 190m budget and a huge marketing effort. Should still get about 30m more in the US and of course it's not done overseas at all.

All in all I'd say it's kind of the same situation as Oz, not catastrophic but not too great either.

Dead Man

Doubt it, it's only at 335m worldwide, which isn't very good on a 190m budget and a huge market effort. Should still get about 30m in the US and of course it's not done overseas at all.

All in all I'd say it's kind of the same situation as Oz, not catastrophic but not too great either.

Okay, thanks.

RBH

1536253-m_night_shyamalan.jpg

kswiston

Mojo Friday estimates:

1) The Purge - $16.7M
2) The Internship - $6.6M
3) Fast 6 - $6.1M - $48M
4) Now You See Me - $6.0M - $189M total
5) Epic - $3.6M - $76M total
6) After Earth - $3.4M - $39M total
7) Star Trek Into Darkness - $3.2M - $192M total
8) The Hangover Part 3 - $2.3M - $97M total
9) Iron Man 3 - $1.7M - $390M
10) The Great Gatsby - $1.4M - $133M

- After Earth dropped 66% from last Friday. Since Man of Steel is going to destroy it next weekend, I think that a $60-70M finish is likely.

- Star Trek Into Darkness will be just under $200M by the end of the weekend, and is still looking good for ~$225M.

- Iron Man 3 will be at $394-395M after this weekend. It will either pass $400M next weekend or shortly after. While it should still pass Spider-Man 1's domestic total, it won't be by much.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
When's the last time a cheap horror movie didn't make bank?

kswiston

When's the last time a cheap horror movie didn't make bank?

Cheap horror films are one of the few exceptions to the "multiply the budget by 3x and compare to the box office total to see if it was profitable" rule of thumb.

Look at Dark Skies back in February. It cost $3.5M to make and took in $17M total at the domestic box office. On paper that looks good, but the marketing and distribution costs would have been several times more than the $3.5M production costs.

The film opened wide in 2300 theatres, so those extra costs would have at least been $10M. For instance prints cost $1500-2000 per screen that a movie is playing on. Assuming that 2300 prints were needed (ignoring the fact that the movie would have played on more than one screen in some venues), that's $3.5-4.6M just to get the film into theatres. Now add in the cost of internet/television/print market, movie posters, trailers etc. Even for a modest ad campaign it ads up. As such, Dark Skies probably didn't turn a profit in theatres despite the tiny budget. DVD sales and TV licensing will probably rectify that at some point though.

kswiston

Tracking for Man of Steel's opening weekend is currently in the $100M range. I think anything over IM1's opening weekend would be a great start.

kswiston

Studio Weekend Estimates:

1) The Purge - $36.3M
2) Fast 6 - $19.7M - $203M total
3) Now You See Me - $19.5M - $61M total
4) The Internship - $18.1M
5) Epic - $12.1M - $84M total
6) After Earth - $11.2M - $47M total
7) Star Trek Into Darkness - $11.7M - $200M total
8) The Hangover Part 3 - $7.4M - $102M total
9) Iron Man 3 - $5.8M - $394M total
10) The Great Gatsby - $4.2M - $136M

- Several Milestones this weekend. Fast 6 and Star Trek broke $200M. The Hangover 3 broke $100M

- Now You See Me only dropped 34%. Depending on how it fairs next weekend, it has a decent shot at $100M

- After Earth dropped 59%

- After Earth made $45M overseas this weekend for a $92M total worldwide

- Fast 6 is now at $585M worldwide

Tamanon

Banned
Studio Weekend Estimates:

1) The Purge - $36.3M
2) Fast 6 - $19.7M - $203M total
3) Now You See Me - $19.5M - $61M total
4) The Internship - $6.6M
5) Epic - $12.1M - $84M total
6) After Earth - $11.2M - $47M total
7) Star Trek Into Darkness - $11.7M - $200M total
8) The Hangover Part 3 - $7.4M - $102M total
9) Iron Man 3 - $5.8M - $394M total
10) The Great Gatsby - $4.2M - $136M

- Several Milestones this weekend. Fast 6 and Star Trek broke $200M. The Hangover 3 broke $100M

- Now You See Me only dropped 34%. Depending on how it fairs next weekend, it has a decent shot at $100M

- After Earth dropped 59%

- After Earth made $45M overseas this weekend for a $92M total worldwide

- Fast 6 is now at $585M worldwide

Why is Internship still at 6 million when that was the estimate for Friday?

Good on Now You See Me, hope it makes a profit.

DMczaf

It's kinda shocking how little Star Trek grew overseas over the last 4 years. I wasn't expecting a breakout like Begins OS -> TDK OS, but I expected more.

kswiston

Why is Internship still at 6 million when that was the estimate for Friday?

Good on Now You See Me, hope it makes a profit.

I copied the titles for a previous post and forgot to change that total. The Internship made $18.1M this weekend.

Star Trek Into Darkness is now at $377M worldwide. The original film topped out at $385M. It should pass that at some point before this coming weekend.

Ridley327

Ethan Hawke is turning out to be a pretty dependable leading man for horror films these days. I wonder if he's got any more in the works.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Good hold for Now You See Me
Film looks interesting, will have to go see it some time

DMczaf

Is there a chance Gatsby can beat Star Trek WW? I don't know the releases schedules and crap for both movies, so I'm clueless.

That would be a "WTF just happened..." moment.

Alrus

Is there a chance Gatsby can beat Star Trek WW? I don't know the releases schedules and crap for both movies, so I'm clueless.

Doubtful, Gatsby has released in most major territories by now, while Star Trek still has a handful of them left.

jett

D-Member
It's kinda shocking how little Star Trek grew overseas over the last 4 years. I wasn't expecting a breakout like Begins OS -> TDK OS, but I expected more.

Shitty marketing, shitty trailers and average word of mouth go a long way into sinking your box office prospects. ST1 felt fresh in every way that ST2 does not, which rehashes way too much shit not only from Wrath of Khan but from its own prequel even. Worldwide seems like its increase was minimal too. Well, dem's the breaks. This is the last 200 million Star Trek picture we'll get until its rebooted again.

I also expected more, even if I didn't like the movie that much. This is squarely Paramount's fault for giving Abrams so much free reign in every single regard of the movie's production.

Impossible, ST is 100 million over Gatsby. :p

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Cheap horror films are one of the few exceptions to the "multiply the budget by 3x and compare to the box office total to see if it was profitable" rule of thumb.

Look at Dark Skies back in February. It cost $3.5M to make and took in $17M total at the domestic box office. On paper that looks good, but the marketing and distribution costs would have been several times more than the $3.5M production costs.

The film opened wide in 2300 theatres, so those extra costs would have at least been $10M. For instance prints cost $1500-2000 per screen that a movie is playing on. Assuming that 2300 prints were needed (ignoring the fact that the movie would have played on more than one screen in some venues), that's $3.5-4.6M just to get the film into theatres. Now add in the cost of internet/television/print market, movie posters, trailers etc. Even for a modest ad campaign it ads up. As such, Dark Skies probably didn't turn a profit in theatres despite the tiny budget. DVD sales and TV licensing will probably rectify that at some point though.

Well, yeah, but every movie has those costs, so I generally ignore them when it comes to quick comparisons.

The point was just that these movies consistently do quite well.

DMczaf

Shitty marketing, shitty trailers and average word of mouth go a long way into sinking your box office prospects. ST1 felt fresh in every way that ST2 does not, which rehashes way too much shit not only from Wrath of Khan but from its own prequel even. Worldwide seems like its increase was minimal too. Well, dem's the breaks. This is the last 200 million Star Trek picture we'll get until its rebooted again.

I also expected more, even if I didn't like the movie that much. This is squarely Paramount's fault for giving Abrams so much free reign in every single regard of the movie's production.

Eh, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It worked for WB with Nolan when they gave him complete control over TDK, Inception, and TDKR. It just hasn't paid off for Paramount in the same way with Abrams with Super 8 and Star Trek Into Darkness.

We'll see what Disney lets Abrams do with Star Wars. I'm going to guess and say his control will be a lot less than his Paramount deals.

UrokeJoe

It was very interesting and I loved the first 95% of the movie. Hated the last 5%. In the group that I saw it with everyone else seemed to enjoy it.

My wife loved it, I was but ended up feeling the exact same way as you. The tie up at the end was just stupid. Still it was a good time at the movies.

Trickster

Not suprised at After Earth. Jaden smith alone made me not watch it, but the fact that it's also got m night shyamalan's name attached to it is just icing on the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom