• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman diverts flight after US plane birth, may pay fines, alleged maternity tourist

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDSN

Banned
My brother's asshole of a wife is gonna try this, I hope it fails. I find the practice scummy and extremely dangerous for both the mom and the kid.

Jenov

My brother's asshole of a wife is gonna try this, I hope it fails. I find the practice scummy and extremely dangerous for both the mom and the kid.

If your brother is a US citizen the baby can claim citizenship through him.

Dot-N-Run

It does seem strange that she was sent back without the baby, but my guess is that it was left because there might be potential health risks if it is put on a plane so soon after being born.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Taiwan is not some third world country or war zone. There are plenty of economic opportunity there. Please don't compare it to those seeking to get out of legitimately shitty situations in other countries.
Maybe the mother doesn't want the child Togo through military service?

Maybe the mother doesn't want the child Togo through military service?

There are non-military services available to serve instead of direct military service. Also, they are phasing out conscription and turning their military into a professional force.

Besides that Taiwan hasn't been in a serious military conflict since the 60s and China won't attack short of a declaration of independence. That has never been a serious reason for tourist babies.

stufte

read "maternity terrorist" thought it was going to be a story about hijacking a plane with a baby.

kinda is what happened though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Regardless of whether she had ulterior motives for the flight, taking the baby away from her has to be some sort of human rights violation.

Chococat

Regardless of whether she had ulterior motives for the flight, taking the baby away from her has to be some sort of human rights violation.

I'm going to assume it is for the safety of the newborn. I was under the impression it unless they have medical permission, babies under 14 days are not allowed to fly.

Please tell me you're joking. The baby needs to receive adequate medical care first, and you think they're just going to give him/her back to a woman who actually has zero means to do so? That would be jeopardizing the life of the child...think about what you're saying.

I'm going to assume it is for the safety of the newborn. I was under the impression it unless they have medical permission, babies under 14 days are not allowed to fly.

Pregnant mothers in the late stage aren't allowed on planes, right? An airport is kind of an unsafe environment for both the mother and unborn child...

After 14 days is the US gov. going to give it back to her? Does the newborn keep its citizenship? Terrible move separating them...

antonz

Please tell me you're joking. The baby needs to receive adequate medical care first, and you think they're just going to give him/her back to a woman who actually has zero means to do so? That would be jeopardizing the life of the child...think about what you're saying.

She is a maternity tourist not a refugee. She has plenty of means. The issue comes down to the fact the child is considered a citizen

Chococat

Pregnant mothers in the late stage aren't allowed on planes, right? An airport is kind of an unsafe environment for both the mother and unborn child...

Exactly, she is the one that cause the problem for her and her child when she lied to her government and the US. Medically she should not have been on the plane in the first place.

After 14 days is the US gov. going to give it back to her? Does the newborn keep its citizenship? Terrible move separating them...

I'm assuming the US is holding the child until it is safe to travel. And that she was recalled by her Taiwan to answer for what she did.

Izuna

Banned
The real tragedy is that while we all understand that this was in her best interests for the baby, we find it better to talk about whether or not it is legal and not the fact that it sucks to live in other parts of the world.

The real tragedy is that while we all understand that this was in her best interests for the baby, we find it better to talk about whether or not it is legal and not the fact that it sucks to live in other parts of the world.

But I didn't think Taiwan was all that bad, to be honest. I don't know much about Taiwan so maybe it is, but I didn't get the feeling it was like our GAFfer living in Venezuela.

Anyway, by this metric it seems like the obvious move would be for the US should rescind birthright citizenship so that it's not "in her best interests" to do things like this. It's dangerous to take a flight when you're that pregnant, so it's not even necessarily in "the best interests" of the baby.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Something definitely needs to be done to combat maternity tourism.

Slap this lady with a hefty fine. She deliberately lied and cost a plane full of people time and money. I am of the opinion she should also be liable for damages if individual passengers would like to take her to court.

The greater issue here is how we are so willing to hand out citizenship. It's an emerging security threat for upcoming generations.

DemiMatt

Slap this lady with a hefty fine. She deliberately lied and cost a plane full of people time and money. I am of the opinion she should also be liable for damages if individual passengers would like to take her to court.

The greater issue here is how we are so willing to hand out citizenship. It's an emerging security threat for upcoming generations.

100% Agree with you.

Ahasverus

kick-the-baby-o1.gif

You know you guys need to change that "totally american if here by chance" laws.

antonz

But I didn't think Taiwan was all that bad, to be honest. I don't know much about Taiwan so maybe it is, but I didn't get the feeling it was like our GAFfer living in Venezuela.

Anyway, by this metric it seems like the obvious move would be for the US should rescind birthright citizenship so that it's not "in her best interests" to do things like this. It's dangerous to take a flight when you're that pregnant, so it's not even necessarily in "the best interests" of the baby.

Seems the common sense thing would be to do what Italy does. The Airline is an extension of the country it is flagged for just like an Embassy may be in another country but its part of the country the embassy belongs too

vern

Am I correct in assuming that even at twice the estimated fines it would pose no deterrent to the economic status of your typical birth tourist from that part of the world?

Yes you are right. If she was a legit birth tourist she paid a service much more than that already (housing, pre and post natal care, visa help, etc.)

The whole "birth tourism" thing just feels so wrong to me.
So, here's a question: why? Aside from this particular case, how is this hurting anyone?

Atolm

Taiwan is not some third world country or war zone. There are plenty of economic opportunity there. Please don't compare it to those seeking to get out of legitimately shitty situations in other countries.

I was thinking this. Taiwan is a fully developed country. Why would she do this?

Having US citizenship makes being in the espionage business against the US a hell of a lot easier.

Pack it up. I've heard it all.....

The thing is that it really doesn't suck that much in Taiwan.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Pack it up. I've heard it all.....

The thing is that it really doesn't suck that much in Taiwan.

So you are saying it is not easier for somebody to commit espionage against the USA if they are in the US on a work visa versus if they are a citizen and granted a security clearance?

think carefully about it for a second.

To the folks wondering why we kept the baby here; pretty sure putting a newborn on a flight isn't the safest idea. The child will be reunited with the mother as soon as it is safe to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom