• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Horror | Review Thread

6-1-681592-52.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: World of Horror

Platforms:
  • PC (Feb 20, 2020)
  • Switch - Oct 26, 2023
  • PS4, PS5 - Oct 26, 2023
Trailer:
Developer: Panstasz

Publisher: Ysbryd Games

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 83 average - 82% recommended
Metacritic - 83 average from 10 Critic Reviews

image.png

Critic Reviews

Bloody Disgusting - Neil Bolt - 4.5 / 5
If you give yourself willingly to the Old Gods, World of Horror will be an immersive and intoxicating horror experience. It's perhaps appropriate that the core of World of Horror comes from something ancient, and is reborn in a new and terrifying form.

CGMagazine - Jordan Biordi - 9 / 10
World of Horror is an intense and existential horror experience that perfectly captures the work that inspired it.

Cubed3 - Sandy Kirchner-Wilson - 8 / 10
While the premise is great, and it's very polished in execution, sometimes World of Horror can be a frustrating and messy title due to its rogue-like nature. That said, it's so unique, charming, and horrifying, that it's impossible to put down once a good run gets going. It is genuinely gripping, and has just enough intrigue to make players protective of the main characters. Here's hoping this keeps receiving updates, and that the developer rides this success into a new project filled with just as much endearment and love. To conclude, insanely cathartic when luck is on one's side.

Destructoid - Zoey Handley - 8 / 10
World of Horror seems to hit all its goals. While its approach to horror is rather derivative of Junji Ito, it’s applied in a creative way and with a vision of its own. I can’t say I was blown away because it really is exactly the game that it claims to be. However, I was immensely satisfied. It’s a wonderfully modular experience, but if you’re deathly afraid of numbers, then that’s where you’ll find the real horror.

Press Start - Brodie Gibbons - 8.5 / 10
World of Horror is a must play for fans of the sickly and macabre. It's a confronting title on several fronts, from its haunting one-bit tales to its, at times, overwhelming role-playing systems. Once you get your head around it though, it's an endlessly replayable source of supernatural horror that more than honours the works of H.P Lovecraft and Junji Ito.

RPG Fan - Bob Richardson - 75%
For those who want to pull the lever on the slot machine, this is a comfy creepfest of odd and disturbing stories in bite-size fashion, though the simplicity and repetition may grow stale after a while.

RPG Site - Josh Torres - 9 / 10
This turn-based horror RPG took its sweet time to full release, but it was well worth it with an addictive gameplay loop, a compelling battle system, and a stunningly beautiful visual aesthetic.

RPGamer - Sam Wachter - 4 / 5
World of Horror is a compelling game that begs the player’s attention, providing an addictive experience that one cannot easily run away from.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Alice Bell - Unscored
Repetitive combat in World Of Horror can't entirely mar a unique, stylish and layered horror adventure that makes you want to play more the more that you play.

TechRaptor - Andrew Stretch - 8 / 10
World of Horror does an incredible job matching the 80s horror aesthetic in both look and gameplay. While the gameplay and some of the deeper mechanics are obtuse on first entry, through experimentation you'll find out just how deep this roguelike gets.

The Punished Backlog - Joe Chivers - 6.7 / 10
I really wanted to like this game. More than that, I wanted to love this game, which is perhaps why this review comes across as so scathing. I’ve been let down. I followed this game for years, awaiting the full release with a heart full of hope. I wanted to spend hours upon hours exploring Shiokawa and the game’s other environs. As it is, it’s a game begging for quality-of-life updates that would make it a joy to explore the undoubtedly impressive selection of mysteries that it has to offer. At present, World of Horror vacillates between being overly tedious, pulling you around by the nose, and sometimes being the game that I really wanted it to be. It’s a frustrating experience, with moments of brilliance that shine through like the color out of space.

Use a Potion - 8 / 10
World of Horror is a fascinating horror experience that truly adds its own unique (and disturbing) take on the genre, and believe me, it’s a lot of fun to play. There’s something incredibly addictive about solving the many harrowing mysteries of the world and trying to survive through its eerie events along the way, whilst the RPG mechanics make it easy to invest in the world and your character. The combat is slick too, and whilst it is very simple in design, it offers enough strategic depth to ensure players will never feel safe in any showdown they face.

It is a little guilty of being unfair with the RNG and the UI can feel a little intrusive to begin with, but it’s hard not to be incredibly impressed by World of Horror. It offers an addictive gameplay loop that’ll keep players coming back for more and more, but, most importantly, it makes for a REALLY good time.

Last edited:
It also is 25% off right now.

I will buy it this weekend, love the mangas I read so far.

Edit:

Oh, any info about a physical release? Would love to have this one for PS5.
Hmm... there's no PS4 physical release in the west, but there is one for Japan and you can pick up a copy from PlayAsia: https://www.play-asia.com/world-of-horror-multi-language/13/70gcp1

That said, there is a Switch physical release in the West (both PEGI and ESRB) which is done through the folks at fangamer: https://www.fangamer.com/products/w...do-switch?_pos=1&_psq=world+of+h&_ss=e&_v=1.0. It should also be available at retail, including Amazon, since that's where I'm planning on picking up my copy later this month.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Hmm... there's no PS4 physical release in the west, but there is one for Japan and you can pick up a copy from PlayAsia: https://www.play-asia.com/world-of-horror-multi-language/13/70gcp1
Very nice, thanks!
Description says : Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, English, German, French so I shuld be good I guess?
That said, there is a Switch physical release in the West (both PEGI and ESRB) which is done through the folks at fangamer: https://www.fangamer.com/products/w...do-switch?_pos=1&_psq=world+of+h&_ss=e&_v=1.0. It should also be available at retail, including Amazon, since that's where I'm planning on picking up my copy later this month.
Not a Switch owner.

Very nice, thanks!
Description says : Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, English, German, French so I shuld be good I guess?

Not a Switch owner.
Happy to help my physical guys & gals. And to answer the question, yep, it seems to support exactly the same languages as the Steam release:

eRxJRaa.png

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I'd give it a 7 out of 10--but it's an interesting 7 out of 10. Not "mediocre". It does things I don't see any other games doing, but it could have been better. Like Alpha Protocol.

I've seen 60% of the random events, 25% of the endings, and 40% of the enemies. I've crossed the threshold where the amount of repeating content on subsequent playthroughs is too high for my liking, so I'll probably fall off pretty soon.

I have no nostalgia for 1-bit adventure games or Junji Ito, so I bet if you do, this game would be an 8/9 out of 10 for you.

Top Bottom