• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Worm.SomeFool.P" - Netsky varient that isn't going away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Thought I'd do my part to fill this week's computer help thread quota by asking for advice on removing the Worm.SomeFool.P Netsky virus from my computer. I've tried some free online system scans, my own anti-virus program (although the definitions are horrendously out of date), and a downloadable tool from Systemtec designed specifically to remove Netsky, but none of them can find the virus. I know it's there, though, because every now and then I get a form email from some company that "I" emailed, saying that my mail was rejected due to virus content. Some friends of mine on my address book have also complained of getting email with virus payloads from "me".

Anyone have any experience with this nuisance?

Bregor

Is Netsky one of the worms that forges email headers? If so you may not be infected, the worm has infected a PC that has your email address in it's address book, and is forging the headers of the emails it sends out to make it appear as if they came from you.

Prospero

Most likely, the problem is that someone in your circle of acquaintances is also infected. IIRC, what many variants do is select a random address from Outlook's address book, pasting it into the To: line of the outgoing e-mail. So if someone is infected who has your e-mail in their address book, then some of the e-mails that the virus sends out will appear to be from you.

SyNapSe

Yup, most of the current crop of viruses do this spoofing. Download the Stinger utility.. it's really small (can be carried on a floppy) and has like the latest 40 viruses on it. If you've already done McAfee's and Trend Micros free online scans and they don't find anything.. chances are a friend with you in their Address Book has the virus.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Thanks, guys -- that would make sense that someone else I know has the worm.

I'll use that Stinger utility just to be sure, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom