• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Movie Performance Ever by an Opposing Army...

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

And the winner is... THE JAPANESE IN "WINDTALKERS!"

Hahah, I've never seen the movie, but I did just catch the last 20ish minutes on Moviecentral. First thing I see is Nick Cage gun down like 4 guys with his thompson. Then Adam Beach goes nuts and shoots like 6 clearly suicidal Japanese soldiers with his carbine, the hapless Japanese run up in groups of 3 and get mowed down like something from Commando.

Then Beach runs out of ammo and turns into Riddick because he kills another 5 guys (poorly) with his knife, then he gets shot. Then Cage and some guy nearby with a BAR start picking guys off like it's going out of style (literally dozens of enemies, all of whom thoughtfully run clustered together AWAY from cover in order to be shot in small convenient groups). I sorta blanked out there, but I know Cage and Beach were both shot a couple more times, and Beach is in a fury and slashes Cage for some reason that I assume makes sense in the story I didn't see.

But they both get shot in the legs/arms a few times until I joked to my wife that they took more lead than your average John Woo hero. Now I see why, but to see it in a modern war movie was pretty funny. :D

The highlight is when both characters are laying wounded on the ground with another bunch of enemies rushing up. At first Nick sprays his thompson with one hand (again, this would have made more sense had I known Woo was involved) and nails them by the handful, then he pulls out his pistol and goes to town! 3 guys run up, Nick shots 3 times and they all fall. Another pair of jokers, another 2 shots, another 2 down. If they had fucking John Wayne in that movie he would have been like "hmm, maybe I shouldn't be quite *that* inhumanly good a marksman in this scene". It was like the shooting in The Quick and the Dead, but again unless you're in a very old war movie/western or a gunkata action flick where everything is pretty light on the realism it's damn weird to see nowadays.

Then the comedy gold continues from the very wounded Cage picking up Beach and running him to a foxhole while one guy with a BAR and one guy with a garand take down dozens of attackers. I think Nick's character was gravely wounded but I didn't bother sticking around to see if he lived. I would give the movie the benefit of the doubt and say "hmm, maybe this was one of those cut-off Japanese outpost islands where the soldiers were all starving and mad from dystentary and that helps explain how incredibly shitty they were at killling or maybe capturing 2 guys", but some of the extras were pretty pudgy so it made it hard to even give them that.

Ok, on deliberation the gun-toting simpletons in Commando are still the Least Effective Movie Enemies Ever.

I think people don't get Windtalkers. A war movie was the only way that John Woo could make a movie where dozens of enemies could get gunned down in slow motion. It really is a WW2 version of a Hong Kong John Woo movie.

I can forgive most of the film, just not that terrible stock footage sequence of the destroyers near the beginning or some of the out of focus film grain shit that happens after Cage gets drunk during the night.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I was thinking Windtalkers when I went into this thread... hahahahah I loved the Chinese actors say "Shi ne!!!!" which is Japanese for "DIE!!!!!!!!" everytime they lined up to die... they were like Asian Stormtroopers....

Which brings us to our runner up winner....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom