• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF is wrong with me? The more I think about it, the more I like Evangelion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
geogaddi said:
The final episodes of NEE make Tool's videos look like pre-school skits.
No wonder the bastard that made that sick anime commited suicide.

No one involved with Evangelion committed suicide, not successfully at least.

Tsubaki said:
People wanted (and initially got) a boring monster of the week show. When it actually stopped being mindless, the fans revolted.

You know, that's the impression I get both online and off. Seems like most people liked it at first but grew to dislike it as it neared the end. It's almost as if they were "duped" into watching another "young kid in a mech" anime but it later turns out to be much deeper than that.

Coincidentally, when my friends where trying to get me into anime, NGE was one of the first I watched. I didn't finish it as the guy who recommended it only had like 2 or 3 DVDs at the time and truth be told, I thought it was kinda meh because it seemed like a monster of the week. However, I finally got to finish it years later (this was a while back when I saw the first few episodes) and ended up loving it a hell of a lot more as it neared completion. The exact opposite happened to him. As a matter of fact, he seemed almost shocked the way it turned out. I really think he expected a huge final heroic battle at the end.

ManDudeChild said:
I know zilch about Evangelion, but I after reading this thread over I want to watch the series. Is there a way the entire thing can be purchased? I dont mean some special limited edition directors cut version 4.1 or whatever, just the straight series.

There's the original box set out in stores. ADV is also currently releasing a new "Platinum" edition which features the exact same episodes but with improved image quality and sound. If you're really interested in NGE, you should probably bag that one, although only the first DVD is out and the second one is due in September.

That's the one I'd like to get but no one answered my question that I asked earlier in this thread. *HINT*HINT*

Tsubaki

The Shadow said:
There's the original box set out in stores. ADV is also currently releasing a new "Platinum" edition which features the exact same episodes but with improved image quality and sound. If you're really interested in NGE, you should probably bag that one, although only the first DVD is out and the second one is due in September.

Since people are dumping the "Perfect Collection" (original box set release, MSRP about $150?) on Ebay now, myself to be included, it's actually fairly cheap. But it's not exactly the same content as the Platinum Edition that is being released now.

Perfect Collection is Evangelion 1-26, 8 discs.

Platinum Edition is Evangelion 1-26 + 21'-26' (the content on the 2 previously released Director's Cut DVDs from ADV), 7 discs.

So to get the same content from the initial releases, you'd have to acquire 10 DVDs. To get it in the new release, you get it in 7. And the new release also has remastered video, and features a sturdy box unlike the thin cardboard one of the Perfect.

Shouta

That being said, I though EVA was acclaimed? Why so much hate then?

The hate for NGE rivals the accolades it gets. A lot of the hate that it gets is from the fact that it tries to twist its beginning into a psychological "shocker" (or whatever you like to call it) in the latter half of the series. It came down like a ton of breaks and with little warning. Normally, this wouldn't be a real problem but the way it was brought to the viewers through Anno's directing made it 1000x more dislikable.

For me, I like the premise, I like the idea behind the psychological threads but I disliked the Anno's directing for it much more than my like of the other elements. None of the show after the recap episode made real sense to me until the "art school" ending which was the thread that finally frigging connected all the sequences shown throughout the series.

I'd say Eva was the most controversial anime thus far. Not the greatest anime ever or (as some call it) the most influential anime ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom