• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K15 First Footage and Gameplay changes

VexyWexy

I don't remember which one it was, but there was definitely already a wrestling game where you launched straight into the moves instead of doing a lockup. It sounds great on paper, but it depends on how smooth the transitional animations are.

Honestly, most of the changes at least sound good. I certainly didn't just want 2k14 with better graphics, let them try and fix the gameplay.

So it's the return of SVR06's start-of-the-match minigame, where we used to shove the opponent, knock them on their ass, or enter a test of strength. Only now it's going to look retarded, as wrestlers will probably enter into a collor and elbow tie-up like in the old SEGA MegaDrive games, and hold each other for a few seconds, before one of them transitions into a sideheadlock or go-behind-armbar. How freaking anti-climactic is that? It's like in 2006 where Sting was built-up with a blood feud against Jeff Jarrett in TNA. Sting goes through a metamorphasis and all this stuff... and the match starts off with a damn sideheadlock rest hold by Sting as the TNA mutants chant 'this is awesome', before Sting does the spot where he backs Jarrett into the ropes and is fired-off accross the ring. Every match will start off this way, we don't even have what we had in the past with the option for a punch or test of strength. Most henoius is there is the removal of freedom. I'm sorry, but somebody like Brock Lesnar is likely to start a heated match by charging in with a closeline etc.

Oh for *Censored*'s sake. This is some UFC game crap, look for it to have ugly user interface stuff which pops up, taking you completely out of the action and reminding you it's a game. It better be hide-able in the options display menu (but the BREAKING POINT submission meter isn't in 1P vs CPU matches). It better not show-up when simming a CPU vs CPU match.

So.. we will grab a headlock as our starting postion all the time by holding the grapple button, or we don't have a starting position and we go into a suplex move by holding the grapple button and pressing a direction on the analouge stick? It can't be both.

Am I reading this correctly, only 4 grapple moves? (Up, Down, Left, Right) on analouge stick? 6 if we count Diagonally Up and Diagonally Down? 10 if we say that Diagonally Up/Down Left is a different move to Diagonally Up/Down Right etc. This seems even more limited then the old analouge stick control scheme from SVR07-SVR2011, since there are not grapple tie-ups anymore which used to contain a choice of four moves each. It certainly sounds like we're getting less move slots overall.

How are we supposed to pull off a big move like a Powerbomb instead of a crappy quick grapple? Will we have to hold R1 again to signify we want to perform a "Hard Grapple", or will our moveset magically change once the opponent is damaged enough, but then we can't use the early match "quick grapple moves" anymore?

2K: "stop thinking so much, check out cena's pecs"

Rapstah

I'm assuming he's not covering every possibility here. As mentioned, Lesnar/The Miz starting with a forced grappling minute in the middle of the ring is ridiculous, but maybe he's being very unclear about what this first grappling phase is. Maybe the idea is to have you punch the opponent until you've damaged him so much that you enter the second grappling phase, in which you can do a powerbomb. Something like that. Maybe the time it takes to punch someone into the second grappling phase is pretty quick in matches where that would make sense.

JdFoX187

Banned
This is probably one of the worst written "previews" I've ever read. Seriously, did he just throw this shit together in five minutes and upload it?

A lot of what they are describing has been in previous Smackdown games.

The start of the match mini game has been done before.

The grapple right into a move from standing was something that I was glad we were done with when they added in grapple stances several years ago.

I'm not sure I like any of this but I will reserve judgement until I try it.

To me, sim wrestling has a lot more to do with management and setting up interesting spots during a match. I actually really like how the story modes in the past couple of years require you to recreate certain spots from history. If the Universe Mode incorporated that mechanic by giving you several objectives to complete in order to have an entertaining match instead of just trying to win I think I'd be a lot more into that.

Wrestling isn't just about winning, that shit is scripted for a reason, it's about having a great match and telling a story in the ring. That's a true wrestling simulation.

I don't want constant interfaces popping up putting me into a quicktime event situation. That's not wrestling.

Jamie OD

I don't remember which one it was, but there was definitely already a wrestling game where you launched straight into the moves instead of doing a lockup. It sounds great on paper, but it depends on how smooth the transitional animations are.

Honestly, most of the changes at least sound good. I certainly didn't just want 2k14 with better graphics, let them try and fix the gameplay.

The earlier Smackdown games. In fact everything written in that article sounds like something that was done in a Yukes WWE game at some point.

fader

Am I the only one interested in actually seeing and playing the game-play first before critiquing it? Or is it just the negatives that are the loudest

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You know what was a good "sim wrestling" game?

No Mercy. Why do we keep moving further and further away from that system? I just played it the other day. It is still incredibly fun and complex.

Striker

Those games weren't really complex, pretty easy to learn. But at the same time they had a lot of depth. That's what's been lacking.

atr0cious

How fucking hard is it to rip off No Mercy's grappling system? It was fucking perfect. Now everyone's trying to reinvent the wheel, and end up getting the mechanics in the way of having fun.

DrZeus

Well that was something. Gamplay better impress cause that write up could be seen as a positive or negative depending on the actual execution of these changes to become more sim. I welcome realism as long as it's not at the price of fun, intuitive gameplay, and features. I am cringing at what had to be removed to fit in this new graphical engine and retouched grappling.

CAW system will be barebones in some capacity is my guess. :(

ksdixon

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/08/12/wwe-2k15-first-hands-on-ign-first

The Properly Translated version does nothing to lighten my mood. It makes it WORSE.

Take the grappling system as an example. Just go ahead and eliminate any thought you had about walking up to your opponent at the start of a match and just delivering a DDT or a backbreaker because they failed to counter it. That’s just not how a match in the WWE starts, so when you press the grapple button in the early stages of a match in WWE 2K15, it initiates the new chain wrestling system.

Wrestling fans know the drill: the two wrestlers go right into a classic collar-and-elbow lockup to jockey for position. It starts like rock, paper, scissors – with each player pressing one of three face buttons, and the winner advancing to a more advantageous position. From here, both players play what is essentially a lock-picking game, rotating the right stick until they find the “sweet spot,” and holding it there to improve their respective situation. During this time, the player with advantage can land strikes, or even wrench whatever limb they’ve grabbed a hold of. It’s a lot more like the opening stages of a real match than running right up to your opponent for a spine-buster the moment the bell rings.

During this period, you can still do running or standing strikes, as well as Irish whips, so you still have options, but the full extent of the grappling game doesn’t open up until some decent damage has been dealt.

The start of the match is a multi-stage rock/paper/scissors mini-game. Some strange mixture of SVR06 pre-match punch/shove/test of strength minigame; and WWE Legends Of WrestleMania gameplay / SVR's Comeback Moves, where you have to hit the a button before your opponent a couple of times to gain an advantage, or your opponent can reverse/get the advantage themselves. What's more, the bolded part makes it seems like this isn't only the opening move of the match, but every time you try a grapple move in the opening time period, until your opponent is damaged enough. Until your opponent is damaged enough you'll be restricted to using only irish whips, standing and running strikes, and this grapple mini-game only. Unless it's saying that only the opening move is the 'Comeback Moment-style' minigame, and the other moves during this opening phase until your opponent is injured enough are a limited pool of 'chain grapples', which again doesn't inspire much confidence, because instead of having four grapple tie-ups with four moves each, we will be limited to four quick grapples only. We had that system, from SVR2007-SVR2010 I think, it sucked then, and it will suck now! WWE 12 saw the return to using the 'face buttons' for grapples, because the analogue stick grapple system sucked, and now we're being given an even more restricted analogue stick control system.

Grappling has undergone another key change: the four intermediary grapple stances are gone. Once you’re out of the opening chain-wrestling phase, you just press or hold the grapple button along with a direction to launch right into a move. You can still do a basic headlock to set up rudimentary moves, and the returning limb targeting system, but your core grappling moves will come right from standing. Again, this just makes sense. Once the “feeling out” period is over, how often do guys put one another into a specific hold before doing a suplex? They don’t; they just do it.

So what are we talking here? Tap the grapple button to enter into grapple state (a basic headlock replacing the collar and elbow tie-up now that your opponent is weakened) to perform ''chain grapples'', tap it a second time or hold it after initiating the headlock grapple stance as a modifier for turning-on the limb targeting moves, or hold the grapple button and press a direction on the analogue stick to perform a grapple move without first entering a headlock grapple stance? That's sort-of how we used to perform 'Hard Grapples' (Quick grapples were mapped to the analogue stick, but we used to hold R1 and a direction on the analogue stick to enter into a grapple stance in the older games, which then gave us a choice of four moves per stance). There's no mention of performing different moves if you grapple your opponent when they are groggy/dazed. So are we honestly looking at a game where we are limited to just 4x quick grapples in the early phase, and then 4x quick grapples, 4x limb targeting moves and 4x big moves in the later phases? 4x being up, down, left, right on analogue stick - at best it only raises to 6 if we count diagonals, and 8
if we count diagonal upper left, diagonal upper right, diagonal lower left and diagonal lower right as separate move slots. Simply put... this isn't enough.

For some fans, these changes are going to sound scary, but for me, they’re exactly what I’ve been missing for years. The central question I always ask when playing any game is, “What meaningful choices am I getting to make right now?” And as much as I’ve played and loved WWE games over the years, the answer has usually been, “Not many.” But with this departure in form, I think that’s going to change for me this year, and that has me excited to play more.

And this is where we differ. The author comes off like Vince McMahon does. ''Oh we're not wrestling, we're Sports Entertainment, pally''. ''We're not an arcadey wrestling game, we're sports simulation, like other 2K games''. No, you're not. You want that style of game, go out and make a new franchise, AllStars did it with their weird physics. WWE Day Of Reckoning did it. You don't fuck with the breadwinner by trying to change what it is. SmackDown/SVR/WWE/2K series was always the easy to play, feature-rich arcadey 'fun' series, and all the others were left to experimentation (which usually died because they're not fun to play or not popular enough). Every change in direction or restriction which has been stamped onto the SVR series over the years has only hindered it in some way. Player freedom of choice, and by definition having a game which is fun to play, is what matters. It's why people say that whilst the newer modes like create an arena, create a belt, create a story, universe mode etc, are great, in terms of gameplay, the classic SD games shit on the current games.

ouzer

Neo Member
I'm not sure what to think of these changes to the controls until I try it, but the idea that every single match starts in a lock up is not appealing whatsoever.

There are matches that start with both combatants just slugging it out, y'know like how Austin started most of his matches.

Hell, if Rey Mysterio is in the ring against The Big Show or Mark Henry, does it make any sense whatsoever to have him try to lock up against a bigger and stronger opponent? I hope Visual Concepts/Yukes put some deep thought into this, because if every match starts that way, I am going to be severely disappointed.

I like the idea of building up the match where the bigger moves are easier to execute as your opponent is worn down, just make it easier for the opponent to reverse "strong grapple" moves in the early stages of a match, that way it permits the user to try to attempt whatever move he wishes to perform, only that it will be difficult to execute and more likely to be reversed.

Take Randy Orton as an example when he makes an early attempt to RKO an opponent and he's brushed off/pushed aside. It happens quite often when a wrestler tries to perform a big move early on in a match.

Truphenom

That Vince dude really knows how to suck any excitement I had for the game before reading this. I'll make sure I try it out before making any proper complaints, but the way he described everything kinda sounded awful.

Anth0ny

Wrestling fans know the drill: the two wrestlers go right into a classic collar-and-elbow lockup to jockey for position. It starts like rock, paper, scissors – with each player pressing one of three face buttons, and the winner advancing to a more advantageous position.

ntzhg2esm5.gif

IGN sucking off the game as usual. This sounds like utter shit, continuing to go down the "sim" route at the expense of actual fun. Playing Here Comes The Pain again for 15 minutes on PCSX2 gave me more fun than all of the most recent games combined.

UberTag

The tragic part is that no matter how bad this game turns out... even with the laughable Yuke's involvement and shitty animations... it will still be better than the current 2014 television product.

I hope they find a way to shill the WWE Network non-stop during commentary and loading screens. They also need to prominently feature the $9.99 chant.

PureXbox

Banned
Am I the only one interested in actually seeing and playing the game-play first before critiquing it? Or is it just the negatives that are the loudest

I think it's just you and me who aren't about to make our purchase decision based on one man's sketchy description of how things play out, yeah. :/

This sounds like utter shit, continuing to go down the "sim" route at the expense of actual fun.

I find sims to be quite fun. I figure that's the audience they're aiming for. I guess when a wrestler looks under the ring for a weapon, he should be able to pull out a rocket launcher, right? Screw realism! That'd be fun!

I think the new system sounds interesting, myself. A bit of variety. Every match used to start with "who can hit the punch/kick buttons quickest to gain the upper hand" anyway. Now it starts with a mini-game. What's the difference other than it being potentially more "realistic"? Most matches in the WWE start with a grapple. Truly, I don't see the issue.

TxdoHawk

I never thought I'd see the day where Yuke's was given shit for not making the same game they've made for the past decade-plus.

Seriously, you have years of the same terrible-ass WWE Yukes slop to pick from, GAF. Go wild. I want to see something different, and this new direction is encouraging.

Omega

Banned
Wrestling fans know the drill: the two wrestlers go right into a classic collar-and-elbow lockup to jockey for position. It starts like rock, paper, scissors – with each player pressing one of three face buttons, and the winner advancing to a more advantageous position. From here, both players play what is essentially a lock-picking game, rotating the right stick until they find the “sweet spot,” and holding it there to improve their respective situation. During this time, the player with advantage can land strikes, or even wrench whatever limb they’ve grabbed a hold of. It’s a lot more like the opening stages of a real match than running right up to your opponent for a spine-buster the moment the bell rings.

I want absolutely none of this. The rest is fine, but this isnt the N64. come up with a better way to do something than rotating a stick

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I never thought I'd see the day where Yuke's was given shit for not making the same game they've made for the past decade-plus.

Seriously, you have years of the same terrible-ass WWE Yukes slop to pick from, GAF. Go wild. I want to see something different, and this new direction is encouraging.

I'd be all for something new if it sounded better. It doesn't. It somehow sounds worse.

Even the preview makes it sound terrible. "No, no...we swear it isn't terrible! It's just...different." That's the video game preview way of saying it's awful.

It's different but in the grand scheme of things it's not all that new. It sounds like they're going after the Fire Pro match progression style except way more scripted to just contain chain wrestling and early match style lock ups with a UFC game "rock, paper, scissors" balance mechanic. The Fire Pro titles, especially the later ones, have really good match progression, much better than any WWF/WWE game, but it works there because you aren't artificially limited due to whatever real life "simulation" they want to achieve, you're limited because in early match situations it's easy to reverse the late match heavy moves.

Of course it's much too early to say whether WWE 2K15 is any good or not, but the way it's described in the preview it sounds too dependent on the mini-game lock ups.

I think it's just you and me who aren't about to make our purchase decision based on one man's sketchy description of how things play out, yeah. :/

I find sims to be quite fun. I figure that's the audience they're aiming for. I guess when a wrestler looks under the ring for a weapon, he should be able to pull out a rocket launcher, right? Screw realism! That'd be fun!

I think the new system sounds interesting, myself. A bit of variety. Every match used to start with "who can hit the punch/kick buttons quickest to gain the upper hand" anyway. Now it starts with a mini-game. What's the difference other than it being potentially more "realistic"? Most matches in the WWE start with a grapple. Truly, I don't see the issue.

Feel free to point out where I mentioned anything as stupid as pulling out a rocket launcher. I'll wait.

Benslammin

Neo Member
Oh my god if this is ANYTHING like Firepro I am so hyped right now. I couldn't be more happy if they are going a more methodical direction. No more kiddy happy button mashing and super easy timing for reversals.

I hope to whatever powers may be they consider a PC port later on.

However, a huge piece of the puzzle is still making the game FUN. In the end wrestling is about fun and entertainment as well, I hope the combat doesn't feel stuck to this new control scheme and mechanics, I would still like to see some fun feeling combat where characters react to hits in a somewhat more dramatic way like they do when selling in wrestling.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Woof

that was a bad trailer.... Everyone has this weird look to their skin, but that could be the youtube factor.

IMACOMPUTA

Are there any indie wrestling games? Even with primitive graphics or anything? I feel like we need a good indie wrestling game to really nail a wrestling system.

Also, why aren't there any wrestling games that put the focus on putting on a good show rather than winning? Let the winner be predetermined and let the game play like a co-op. Get scored at the end on cooperation and creativity.

rugioh

Banned
I'm very concerned that a game that is slated to be released in 2 months can't even show animations in their trailer.

Looks way less impressive than the initial screens.

Gameplay developments sound interesting. I'm all for a greater challenge and more satisfying payoff. Much like NBA2K if you actually know how to play.

Benslammin

Neo Member

I agree, everybody seems to be bitching that it's not in the same vein as Smackdown vs Raw and on.

I am tired of those shitty gameplay mechanics that got worse and buggier with each installment.

I am glad they are trying something new, I am completely fine with something more slow paced and strategic, as long as they keep some hype and excitement and open endedness.

Top Bottom