• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Men 2005: Guess who's back? Plus, more X-Men news...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniGamer

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was obvious anyway...i just wish Claremont was pinning it. Please oh please oh please oh please stay as FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR away from the '86 retcon as possible!

Alucard

Banned
Chesapeake Silt said:
Quesada assured the skeptical audience that this was indeed "the last time she's coming back."

Haha.

That just means she's never going to die again...or if she does they'll do some dumb story about her actually being a clone or something along those lines.

Alucard

Banned
It's stuff like this that actually makes me appreciate the Ultimate universe a little more. In UXM, Beast is dead. He's not coming back. He's in the ground. He was crushed under thousands of pounds of concrete. A move like that takes balls (thank you Bendis). Why can't other books take these types of risks? They make the stories more interesting and add a whole new dynamic to the rest of the characters still living.

Anyways...Powers #3, here I come.

border

Mark Millar said:
[Wolverine is] brutal and killing a lot of people. It's going to start affecting the way he interacts and is treated by the rest of the heroes Marvel Universe."
guy at the other forum said:
Apparently, it's going to get him an Avengers membership.
Heheheh...

nomoment

Bowser said:
Fucking Marvel.

It's like Morrison's run never existed.
Yep.

Marvel is trying their best to give Morrison a big F-U for leaving. I knew
Phoenix
dead wouldn't last...

OmniGamer

Alucard said:
It's stuff like this that actually makes me appreciate the Ultimate universe a little more. In UXM, Beast is dead. He's not coming back. He's in the ground.

His codename isn't based on a creature who ressurects from death. She's Phoenix...her staying dead would be like Storm being afraid of rain.

lordmrw

OmniGamer said:
His codename isn't based on a creature who ressurects from death. She's Phoenix...her staying dead would be like Storm being afraid of rain.

Or Aquaman being afraid of water.........Oh shit, wait..

Vargas

DarienA said:
Meanwhile Colossus is still f'n dead..... f*ck.

Isn't a classic character supposed to be coming back in an upcoming issue of Astonishing? Maybe it will be Colossus.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
jiggle said:
How did Jean die this time?
Did Scott Summer ever get revived?

Magneto killed her... oh but it wasn't really Magneto.
Yeah quite awhile ago if you're talking about the time I think you are.

OmniGamer

jiggle said:
How did Jean die this time?
Did Scott Summer ever get revived?

Scott came back a long time ago...in the "Search For Cyclops" mini, Jean and Cable eventually find the merged Cyclops/Apocalypse, Jean telepathically seperates Apocalypse from Scott, and Cable stabs Apocalypse's disembodied astral form with his Psimitar, killing him. This causes Cable's(and Rachel's, as Mother Askani) timeline to be erased.

Jean died in NXM 150, Magneto(or whoever that so-called Magneto ends up being) gave her a EMP on a planetary scale, causing an extreme stroke. But she came back 150 years later in the "Here comes tomorrow" arc(NXM 151-154) and slightly altered the present to prevent that future from happening.

lordmrw

tenchir said:
I wonder how Scott and Emma react when they found out she's alive.... and vice versa.

If its anything like his reaction while he was with Madelyne Pryor, then he'll abandon her with the quickness to tap that redhead ass again.

But first he has to knock her up.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I love Colossus, but he should stay dead. Some people should always stay dead. Gwen Stacy, Jason Todd, Colossus, etc.

FnordChan

Lame, but not exactly suprising. Much like the rest of the news, such as Quesada realizing that he can't be EIC and also write NYX, or Millar promsing a super-violent Wolverine.

FnordChan

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm kind of glad it's as if they are ignoring what Morrison did...he screwed up X-Men beyond belief. ;)

Willco said:
I love Colossus, but he should stay dead. Some people should always stay dead. Gwen Stacy, Jason Todd, Colossus, etc.

Gwen Stacy came back. As a clone, sure, but she came back. It's amazing that Colossus has NOT come back yet.

Sometimes I wish they would just "reset" the entire Marvel Universe back to 1992 and start again. :p

OmniGamer

Lyte Edge said:
I'm kind of glad it's as if they are ignoring what Morrison did...he screwed up X-Men beyond belief. ;)

Gwen Stacy came back. As a clone, sure, but she came back. It's amazing that Colossus has NOT come back yet.

Sometimes I wish they would just "reset" the entire Marvel Universe back to 1992 and start again. :p

Oh god no...the 90s was home to many comic screw ups.

Morrison's style may have taken some getting used to, but I definitely liked most of his ideas...and hey, at least he outted the School, forcing some change and progression...as well as other things like the different worldwide X-Corporation branches, and Mutant Town.

lordmrw

Lyte Edge said:

Seeing as how they cremated that motherfucker and scattered his ashes, that sum bitch ain't ever coming back. The thing I liked most about the X-Corporations around the world is that it gave useless mutants who were in limbo a place and a purpose. Hopefully they'll at least continue with that.

Lyte Edge said:

No offense, but this opinion really gets to me sometimes. What's wrong with taking chances with characters and storylines? Morrison's run wasn't the end-all, be-all X-Men run that some people think, and I base that comment on not reading every issue of his work. But having read most of it, I think he took the group into places other writers wouldn't have the guts to do, OR if they did try, wouldn't have pulled off as well. I'd rather see an upsetting of the status quo of characters than "Cyclops' new found mutation has his eyes merged into a Leela lookalike!" Playing with these characters emotions and making them seem more like people, and ultimately, more three-dimensional. And that makes for an interesting read.

Now, people scream back "If you want something different, there's Vertigo/Dark Horse/AiT-Planetar/Some of the Wildstorm titles/etc./ out there! Go read those and leave the flagships alone!" My argument is that these are the characters I started out with when I was but a young lad. But I am a young lad no more, and while I still have the emotional attachment to the X-Men, I wouldn't mind seeing something different with these characters every once and a while. That's why I don't mind the Scott/Emma storyline. It's something that has nothing to do with powers, but has everything to do with how human these characters can be. Whedon's doing a great job at exploring this in Astonshing. You can almost feel the writers on the other books exhaling because they don't have to deal with it (Claremont, I bet, really doesn't want to deal with it and is salivating at the fact Jean's coming back, but then at the same time, he didn't want to kill her in the first place...and I'm talking YEARS ago, kids, but I digress).

But the opinion that we need to go back to the "easy" days of the early 90s scares me and it shows some people just simply want no growth in this industry. And it scares me because it might mean less chances taken.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
mightynine said:
But the opinion that we need to go back to the "easy" days of the early 90s scares me and it shows some people just simply want no growth in this industry. And it scares me because it might mean less chances taken.

No, I like to see change. It's just that in the case of Marvel, characters like the X-Men and Spider-Man have been ruined beyond redemption in my eyes. I said I wanted to take it back to 1992, because that's the last time I remember REALLY liking the books and team rosters, right before all the big artists left to form Image, before the "fill-in-let's-have-characters-moping-around-the-X-Mansion-story" crap involving Forge, Storm, and Mystique, Jean and Scott getting married, the Iceman/Rogue road trip, the Revanche/Psylocke crap, etc. I thought that the Phalanx Covenent storyline was okay, and pretty much lost any interest in the X-Men after that. I did get Age of Apocalypse, but only because I knew it was for a few issues, then it was all over. I dropped Marvel after that. Same goes for Spider-Man; the clone saga killed it for me, or rather, I could actually stand the clone saga until they made it so that the clone was thought to be the real one and then took over, only to have Peter come back and the clone melt away. Blech.

I have only just recently started going back to Marvel, and I don't know how much longer I'm going to continue getting these new X-Men reloaded books. I'm just not feeling it anymore.

OmniGamer

I agree mightynine...and yes, Claremont DIDN'T want to kill Jean originally...the storyline was going to go this way...the Shi'ar were going to perform a kind of psychic lobotomy, rendering Jean powerless...and later on the tie-in would be that Rachel wasn't Scott's daughter(ignoring the other Wolvering is the father rumors), but an immaculate conception...a clone(hate this word...but yes a clone, not in the Madelyne sense though)...basically Jean reborn...the force(not as an entity) finding a way to still exist.

But enter the 90s with all the retcons and convoluted "me-too" additions that every writter seemed to do by putting their spin on things(though the retcon itself happend with FF 286 in 1986, major damage was done during the 90s, especially in Excalibur).

Bogdan said:
How did colossus die?

Moira McTaggert created a cure for the Legacy Virus (Beast discovered it using her research). The only way to release the cure would be to inject it into a mutant and have them activate their power which would release the cure into the atmosphere - except it would kill whoever used it. Colossus knocked out Cecelia Reyes and stole the cure to use on himself.

DarienA

Bogdan said:
Wow colossus is awesome. if he came back it would be betraying his character.

Oh that's nothing Marvel has had characters make "heroic" sacrifices before only to bring them back....

And let me bitch about another character who is still dead... and had a WORTHLESS f'n dead.... Psylocke... she was a kick ass character with a rich background history... who ended up being a f'n stuffed trophy... wtf.

OmniGamer

DarienA said:
Oh that's nothing Marvel has had characters make "heroic" sacrifices before only to bring them back....

And let me bitch about another character who is still dead... and had a WORTHLESS f'n dead.... Psylocke... she was a kick ass character with a rich background history... who ended up being a f'n stuffed trophy... wtf.

Psylocke was on a road to hell when she became the token "Nimbo"....and her getting slashed to death by Sabertooth and then coming back via the "Crimson Dawn" mess was the home stretch. But I hope she can come back, under CLAREMONT'S pen, and restored to her British glory as he's been trying to do(stupid editors). Shortly after the creation of the Blue and Gold teams, Psylocke was reduced to a generic psychic knife(the focused totality of my telepathic blah blah blah) and skeletal-defying poses. What happened to her precognative abilities? Sorry folks, guess she can't use them and trot around in a thong at the same time.

DarienA

Which repeated catchphrase is worse?

the focused totality of my telepathic ....

or

I'm the best at.....

nomoment

Phoenix #1 preview art from ComicsContinuum.com:

phoenix1.jpg

phoenix2.jpg

OmniGamer

DarienA said:
Which repeated catchphrase is worse?

the focused totality of my telepathic ....

or

I'm the best at.....

lol, both Betsy and Logan had annoying catchphrases...and Scott too with his "If I open my eyes even fractionally..."

DarienA

OmniGamer said:
lol, both Betsy and Logan had annoying catchphrases...and Scott too with his "If I open my eyes even fractionally..."

You're right I forgot all about Scott's. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom