• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is locking out Gamepass games from competitor's subscription services

KaiserBecks

Well Well Well Well... look at that... ALL those Xbox Fanboys that were crying about Sony "Keeping games off gamepass" even though they were told time and time again its part of a marketing deal or timed exclusivity but wouldnt listen. Turns out MS is doing the same thing. I cant believe MS is keeping games off of PS Plus and other sub services... incredible... so anti consumer..its a shame.

Sony is paying money to keep games off gamepass and calls it a "marketing deal". Microsoft is paying money to keep games off psplus und puts them on gamepass instead. Tell me, which deal is better for the consumer?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony is paying money to keep games off gamepass and calls it a "marketing deal". Microsoft is paying money to keep games off psplus und puts them on gamepass instead. Tell me, which deal is better for the consumer?
Ok, yeah. Caught up on the thread. This is not the same thing, and I think you know it.
moving-goalpost.gif

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Blocking a game from a competing service accomplishes both so how is there any difference at all?
Because one is on a service the other is blocked from any service. It be no different than Sony paying to keep a game off both consoles.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The difference is one side never said they had a problem with exclusives.

Gotta be honest, the thing that I find the most gross about all this stuff is the way MS seem to be actively marketing business revelations.

I mean all these threads about the FTC case are full of links to tweets and articles to people/outlets that have undeniable historic connections to MS! Places like The Verge don't seem likely to be the best for unbiased coverage, and I'm sorry but I find it hard to just pin it all down to fanboys gonna fanboy.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Its just a different kind of deal. They prefer to make sales money. Same as Nintendo. Getting the consumer use to not paying full price for games devalues the games evntually
I will bet the farm that MS has the same language in their marketing deals for games to not end up on PS+ day 1 or for the durations of said marketing contract.

People are going to go down the intellectually dishonest "blinders on" road like the last thread, for it to come out in the future.

What happened to "both sides?"

Last edited:

graywolf323

Didn't we already know and expect this?
Close thread.
why? I mean sure those of us capable of critical thinking knew this sure but this is now confirmation against a massive amount of FUD that was being spread by at best people who argued in bad faith

took three pages but it looks like they got a narrative together DeepEnigma DeepEnigma

Exactly the same thing. Blocking games from going to the other subscription service.
honestly it’s actually worse, we know Sony does this for marketing deals

while apparently Xbox does it for anything that wants to be on GamePass

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Its just a different kind of deal. They prefer to make sales money. Same as Nintendo. Getting the consumer use to not paying full price for games devalues the games evntually
Thats funny they had a service first 😆. If it was keeping people from buying games on Playstation they would of not overhauled in the last year and killed it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that after reading that post, lol.

Except in Sony's case, they don't even put it on their own subscription service. That's quite the difference.
The games eventually end up there. Like CoD and others, they just don't do day 1 for big AAA 3rd party games, and Activision has admitted they like that model better.

Smaller games like Stray and the like are day 1.

Last edited:
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that after reading that post, lol.

The games eventually end up there. Like CoD and others, they just don't do day 1 for big AAA 3rd party games, and Activision has admitted they like that model better.
Are you saying the deals are made for the game to come to PS Plus at the same time as the deal forbidding the game on the competitor's subscription service? I suppose that would make things a little different.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Blocking a game from a competing service accomplishes both so how is there any difference at all?
If you pay a shitload of money for something on your sub, you of course don't want it to be on any other subs at the same time. That's what Netflix and others do all the time. But i have never heard about Netflix saying 'You know what, we are not interested in your tv show, but we pay you money if you don't allow it on the subs of our competitors.

If you don't see the difference or don't want to see it, i can't help you.

Last edited:
Sometimes they do. Sometimes they market the product. Xbox is blocking games that they don't even market.

Regardless, the end-result is the same: blocking games from joining the other subscription service.
End result is not the same. You can't pay a sub to play a game at all for the Sony deal.

GHG

Except in Sony's case, they don't even put it on their own subscription service. That's quite the difference.

Have you ever thought that maybe the publisher themselves doesn't want the game on a subscription service anyway, hence:

• They are happy to sign the contract and be in agreement with the clause
  • They are happy with just the marketing deal, nothing else.
  • Whatever Microsoft might have been offering in terms of a marketing/gamepass bonanza wasn't attractive to them and they chose to go elsewhere.
The way some of you behave it's like you think it's a god given right for every game to be on gamepass. It's not going to happen.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If you pay a shitload of money for something on your sub, you of course don't want it to be on any other subs at the same time. That's what Netflix and others do all the time. But i have never heard about Netflix saying 'You know what, we are not interested in your tv show, but we pay you money if you don't allow it on the subs of our competitors.

If you spend a shitload of money on marketing a product so it sells, you don't want it to be on any sub that cannibalizes sales.

Otherwise, your marketing money goes down the gutter.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Cracking Up Lol GIF

They do do this, why do you think The Office was pulled off of Netflix for another service to get exclusive rights?

Last edited:
Have you ever thought that maybe the publisher themselves doesn't want the game on a subscription service anyway, hence:

• They are happy to sign the contract and be in agreement with the clause
  • Whatever Microsoft might have been offering in terms of a marketing/gamepass bonanza wasn't attractive to them and they chose to go elsewhere.
The way some of you behave it's like you think it's a god given right for every game to be on gamepass. It's not going to happen.
If they are happy to do it... cool? My point is that it's not same thing at all here.

Topher

Gold Member

If you pay a shit load for a marketing deal to maximize games sales, you of course don't want it to be on any sub at all.

If you spend a shitload of money on marketing a product so it sells, you don't want it to be on any sub that cannibalizes sales.

Otherwise, your marketing money goes down the gutter.
I'm pretty sure the RE8 deal stops the game from EVER going to Game Pass. That's also quite different than a timed window. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ansphn

Gotta be honest, the thing that I find the most gross about all this stuff is the way MS seem to be actively marketing business revelations.

I mean all these threads about the FTC case are full of links to tweets and articles to people/outlets that have undeniable historic connections to MS! Places like The Verge don't seem likely to be the best for unbiased coverage, and I'm sorry but I find it hard to just pin it all down to fanboys gonna fanboy.
It's misinformation warefare. Used a lot in politics. Gaming was not this way until Xbox decided to bring that B.S into gaming.

graywolf323

When has Microsoft ever put a game day one on Gamepass that they didn't market?

lol They market the shit out of that fact, endlessly.
plenty of indie games I’d imagine

doesn’t seem like they have marketing rights to the upcoming Sea of Stars since it’s been featured in Nintendo Directs as well but it is going to be day one on GamePass

killatopak

Gold Member
I hope everything that comes out of this results in giving value back to the consumer.

For too long people here have been fighting for companies’ benefits. Shit is weird.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
When has Microsoft ever put a game day one on Gamepass that they didn't market?

lol They market the shit out of that fact, endlessly.
Marketing a game is different than having a marketing deal.

Microsoft put Plague Tale Requiem on Game Pass day one, but PlayStation actually did more marketing for that game. Neither Microsoft nor Sony had any marketing deal for that game.

On the other hand, PlayStation had a Hogwart's Legacy "marketing deal" (the type which would have prevented a Game Pass deal), and that level of marketing was on a whole another level.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Marketing a game is different than having a marketing deal.

Microsoft put Plague Tale Requiem on Game Pass day one, but PlayStation actually did more marketing for that game. Neither Microsoft nor Sony had any marketing deal for that game.

On the other hand, PlayStation had a Hogwart's Legacy "marketing deal" (the type which would have prevented a Game Pass deal), and that level of marketing was on a whole another level.
Hell, MS dropped one of their own games with no marketing at all. :pie_roffles:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It's misinformation warefare. Used a lot in politics. Gaming was not this way until Xbox decided to bring that B.S into gaming.

I see it as marketing, pure and simple. Public revelations aren't going to affect the FTC decision and once that hurdle is past they can just weather the storm in a PR sense no matter what public sentiment is.

mrmustard

Banned
If you pay a shit load for a marketing deal to maximize games sales, you of course don't want it to be on any sub at all.

Maybe i got that wrong. Did that only happen with games Sony had a marketing deal for? In that case that would be ok for me, i thought they did this with random games just to damage Game Pass.

GHG

If they are happy to do it... cool? My point is that it's not same thing at all here.

So what's the problem then?

If they have happily signed only a marketing agreement that stipulates putting the game in question on a subscription service (particularly a competing one) is not on the cards, then that means that game was never going to be on a subscription service regardless. If they wanted it to be on one then they wouldn't sign the contract and/or they would seek alternative offers.

"It's not the same" doesn't wash here my friend, it takes two to tango and the 3rd party publishers who are agreeing to these restrictive contracts (whether it be via Sony, Xbox or Nintendo) will have calculated whether or not signing such a contract makes sense for the game in question.

Top Bottom