• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S is More of a Support Console – The Crown of Wu Dev

sinnergy

I don't know it seems like we already had concerns with a few devs who said it even prior but were dismissed but this 2 years thing is only going to get worse not better at "every 2 years" because it's only now several next gen only games are being developed and that's going to become more frequent.

We're being told it has already had an impact on XSX.
It definitely shouldn’t , as series s has all the basic components that series X has, you just need to scale down your gave in areas ..

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It's as much of a primary console as it's ps5 or series x to anyone who is happy enough to use it that way, the "secondary or for children" arguments only come from elitists and haters who won't admit their bigger boxes are also cheap weak gaming machines

IKR, if resolution and framerate is your thing, the PS5 is trash to you and you game on something better. Console are the value option for the masses, they are all low-end at the end of the day.

How many games have been released on PS5 but not Series X because of Series S? I think it's zero, but correct me if I'm wrong.
When everything is also on PS4 and Xbox One, of course, Series S isn't an issue.

And, besides Baulder's Gate 3, I guess we never know what comprises will be made or if companies are more likely to deal with Sony for exclusivity so they don't need to worry about Series S - Final Fantasy XVI, Valkyrie Elysium, Forspoken, etc.

We are just now getting to the end of cross-platform games. Stuff coming out even now like Resident Evil 4 and Hogwarts Legacy are coming to PS4/XBO.

Last edited:

skit_data

“It’s going to be hard to hold 1440p/60 FPS for the most demanding games of the generation,” Montero said.
Lol, I’ll be happy if even 1/3 of the big, graphics heavy AAA games uses those settings on the Series X and PS5 throughout the whole generation.
I think 1440p 30fps will become the norm within a couple of years, possibly with a performance mode targeting 1080p with DRS.

AmuroChan

I think for Microsoft's business model, this is worth the sacrifice. The Series S alone probably added millions of GP subs from people who otherwise wouldn't have splurged on a premium console. Microsoft's priority is GP. If a couple of games a year don't make it to XBox because the devs couldn't get them to run on Series S, then so be it. I don't think MS is too concerned about that.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I guess we never know what comprises will be made or if companies are more likely to deal with Sony for exclusivity so they don't need to worry about Series S - Final Fantasy XVI, Valkyrie Elysium, Forspoken, etc.
As if Forspoken was exclusive to PS5 because the devs didn't want to deal with Series S. Of all the ridiculous claims that'll be made today, yours will surely not be beaten.

As if Forspoken was exclusive to PS5 because the devs didn't want to deal with Series S. Of all the ridiculous claims that'll be made today, yours will surely not be beaten.
I don’t think you understand game development. It doesn't matter if it's pushing the limits of the hardware. Getting even lesser technical games to run on weaker hardware is more difficult, thus more expensive.

Baulder's Gate, for example, could easily run on Series S. It could run on PS4 too. But, it also would require more specialized attention as you can't just leave it as is and brute force it, like you can with PS5 or Series X. It comes down to whether the publisher is willing to take the extra cost it requires to optimize their game to run on the hardware.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I don’t think you understand game development. It doesn't matter if it's pushing the limits of the hardware. Getting even lesser technical games to run on weaker hardware is more difficult, thus more expensive.

Baulder's Gate, for example, could easily run on Series S. It could run on PS4 too. But, it also would require more specialized attention as you can't just leave it as is and brute force it, like you can with PS5 or Series X. It comes down to whether the publisher is willing to take the extra cost it requires to optimize their game to run on the hardware.
I don't know why you implied that Forspoken might not be on Xbox because the devs couldn't make it work on Series S. In that sense I don't think you understand how to make a point that doesn't sound absolutely absurd.

DragonNCM

xbox-series-s-image-4.jpg

Is the Xbox Series S, thanks to its weaker hardware compared to the Xbox Series X and PS5, going to become an issue down the line? While we’re obviously going to have to wait for a concrete answer on that front, Jose Carlos Montero – CEO of Red Hook Games, the studio behind Journey to the West-inspired action-adventure title The Crown of Wu – feels that it certainly falls below its more powerful current-gen counterparts where the current generation’s hierarchy is concerned.

Speaking in a recent interview with GamingBolt, Montero said that personally, he sees the Xbox Series S as more of a support console, especially with Game Pass becoming more of a driving force for Microsoft, and added that he believes the console will find it hard to maintain 1440p/60 FPS for the more demanding games throughout the course of the generation- which is what Microsoft promised back when it was first unveiled.

“It’s going to be hard to hold 1440p/60 FPS for the most demanding games of the generation,” Montero said. “As much as Xbox wants to sell it this way I don’t think the average consumer will want to buy a Series S and establish it as their console for the whole generation. Personally I see it more as a support console, for example in our case at home we have a PS5 and a Series S that we use to play Xbox exclusive games or just to enjoy the wonderful Game Pass system. If we want to enjoy more resolution/quality we play on PS5 or PC directly.”

Microsoft, as you might expect, has staunchly defended the console. In the lead-up to its launch in 2020, for instance, Xbox system architect Andrew Goossen said that the Xbox Series S wouldn’t hold back the new generation of consoles, but would instead actually help advance it.

[/URL]

giphy.gif

cireza

Xbox Series S is the console used to evaluate developers during interviews nowadays.

Make this work on Series S. If you succeed, then you get the job. You have one hour.

Developers discretely ask ChatGPT how to optimize the program to run on Xbox Series S. ChatGPT's response :

Maybe try another job ?

Last edited:
Switch is non factor in development, if it gets a port its usually specially crafted (gutted LOL) version of the game created by some other studio.

Steam deck is just a pc from software point of view, games will work on it or not and with different levels of performance depending on settings (but devs started to create profiles for it)

Series S is the facto lowest common denominator for this gen, everything will have to fit in low amounts of ram it has - that is (in my opinion) holding game development back and it will for entire generation.

I can't wait to see the Switch version of Hogwarts Legacy. I think the devs were secretly hoping that they really would get canceled in the media and that version would never have to actually release.

therealmoonface

Neo Member
I don’t really see the negative in being the support console, I got a Series S for my sons to use on our projector and it works great. I don’t even see the big dogs doing 1440/60 through this whole gen, graphics will continue to improve and those settings will continue to tick down, same as any other gen. The console will continue to sell and continue to do what MS wants, get people into the GamePass ecosystem, get them hooked, and keep them subscribed. They want to rely less and less on third party royalties to sustain themselves.

Last edited:

Hurahn7

Banned
You know, if the Series S is too hard to make 1440/60 games on, Microsoft could just update it sometime during its lifetime. Currently, it seems like they're satisfied with their two tier console strategy.

This was promised to give the same experience as the more expensive consoles just at 1080p,every other aspect was supposed to be the same but that hasn't been the case.Worse framerates,lower graphical settings and missing features entirely in some ports. It's good if you just needed a cheap game pass box for less demanding games but that's about it.
It was never promised that the XSS would run every game the same as the XSX but at 1080p. It was promised to have the same feature set ie Quick Resume, RDNA2, and SSD. It is akin to the XSX and PS5 promising 4K when many titles to not meet that standard. I hope you will complain about that too. No company makes promises on what game developers will do with their hardware.
It’s not the cpu that’s giving devs the problem. It’s the ram.
Have ANY of those devs complaining used the ram saving features of the console? Sampler feedback streaming for one. I am thinking they are using the the PS5 for lead development and then struggling to make it work on Xbox Series consoles. If you don't use the features of a system it isn't surprising you'd have more difficulties.

I'm curious to see how Starfield works on XSS. Flight Simulator already surprised a ton of people not to mention the Matrix Demo.

I mean we already have baldurs gate 3 being console exclusive to ps5 because they can’t get it to run right on series S, which is a requirement from ms to be able to release at all. There will just be way more stories like this as the gen goes on. I guess it helps that for many third party releases the sales split is not far from 80/20 in ps favour, so losing xbox isn’t too much of a hit on revenue (particularly if they can wrangle some ‘exclusivity’ money or extra free marketing from Sony)
I think if you can’t get something like Baldurs Gate 3 to run on the series S you as a dev studio are doing something completely wrong. There is no reason why this game would not run with some toned down graphics and other things. I can imagine the dev just not wanting to take the time to optimize for it though.

acm2000

i recently got a series s (completely for free thanks to amazons generous customer service in the end) as a game pass box, its a budget mastermind.

New games using newer engines and all the api's will do a much better job at scaling down to series s as we are only just now breaking over in to next gen exclusive territories using the proper next gen tools rather than shoe horning it into last gen games.

its a budget machine with budget results, its kinda the whole point and settings can be scaled fairly easily given they are glorified pcs.

people love to get their knickers in a twist over everything for no reason.

damidu

it wasn't even that at least for the initial price.
for a $200 extra you can get triple gpu, double ssd, 1.5* ram and a bluray drive with a series x.
an insane price to performance upgrade.
thats the support console you'd want.

thing was basically a scam for tech uneducated.
with hefty discounts to sub $200 range, it can maybe make some sense.
i still wouldn't touch it

Last edited:

Sorcerer

You know, if the Series S is too hard to make 1440/60 games on, Microsoft could just update it sometime during its lifetime. Currently, it seems like they're satisfied with their two tier console strategy.
Do you mean coming out with a better Series S? I mean you could just buy the X, there is nowhere else to for Microsoft to go with the S. And if people feel burned by a new S, Microsoft can pretty much ensure people won't be buying the lower end machine if they try this again next gen.
Also, the S benefited by being available during the height of the pandemic. I'm not so sure this strategy would work twice for them. I wonder if the current X will just become next gens S?

simpatico

This isn't a real gen anyways. PS5 and XBX are basically Pro 2.0s. So few actual current gen games. Ride it out and hopefully everyone has their shit together "next" gen.

Sanepar

It's power is just fine for the right application, smaller screen (or people who sit furrher away), 1080p display, people who aren't super picky, a secondary console.
I would say 720p. Most games already are 1080p. Next year 720p will be a reality. 4 tflops is ridiculous weak.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
It's been two years. If it's getting along so far, it will make until the generation end. Besides, even high end consoles start to struggle halfway into the generation. Let's stop making excuses for the fact most devs don't have resources to make games look better than they already do these days.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I would say 720p. Most games already are 1080p. Next year 720p will be a reality. 4 tflops is ridiculous weak.

Sorry but we aren't going to wake up tommorow and magically have all games run like crap at 1080p on 4tf of modern architecture when most run fine now.
I'd say likely you don't really understand the hardware.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's power is just fine for the right application, smaller screen (or people who sit furrher away), 1080p display, people who aren't super picky, a secondary console.
It’s underpowered. End off.

It barely reaches 1080p in most applications now. Which is muddy AF anything below on them dated ass displays.

This is 2023 and beyond, bruh. Not need to go hard in the paint for that underpowered box.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It’s underpowered. End off.

It barely reaches 1080p in most applications now. Which is muddy AF anything below on them dated ass displays.

This is 2023 and beyond, bruh. Not need to go hard in the paint for that underpowered box.

It's not end of anything, just because a couple of forum warriors state it.
It plays most properly developed games at 1080p with no issue, hardly "barely".
I get what year it is, I don't need to go hard for series S at all, the biggest question is, why do you feel the need to say it's underpowered? Why go hard for disparaging it?
Does it scare you somehow? Offend your console sensibilities? It bothers you when people play game at less than 4k?

If you want to get really "technical", you could say all of the next gen consoles are "underpowered". Series X and PS5 are often not able to meet the 4k 60fps target most next gen gamers want and we are early in the generation.
You should just let it go. For a lower cost console, it's not underpowered.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I get what year it is, I don't need to go hard for series S at all, the biggest question is, why do you feel the need to say it's underpowered? Why go hard for disparaging it?
Does it scare you somehow? Offend your console sensibilities? It bothers you when people play game at less than 4k?

If you want to get really "technical", you could say all of the next gen consoles are "underpowered". Series X and PS5 are often not able to meet the 4k 60fps target most next gen gamers want and we are early in the generation.
Ok. It's still underpowered for "next gen current gen".

Three

I don't know why you implied that Forspoken might not be on Xbox because the devs couldn't make it work on Series S. In that sense I don't think you understand how to make a point that doesn't sound absolutely absurd.
He didn't imply it. He just said that you would never know the decision process of studios on games like it, you do know the reason with BG3 who gave the Series S as the reason. That still might or might not come to xbox. That's all he said because you asked
How many games have been released on PS5 but not Series X because of Series S? I think it's zero, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Now you say it's absolutely absurd but the possibility itself can't be that absurd if it's a legitimate reason given by another studio.

Forspoken had a minimum spec set during development and a timed partnership which may have facilitated that. SE could decide that an xbox port is costly to optimise and redo assets for 10GB RAM and you simply will never know of that decision. minimum requirements on PC even have considerably higher RAM requirements 16+8GB RAM.

Nobody is saying that this is the reason though or implying it, just that we have had very few third party PS5 only games to begin with and we won't be privy to the studio business decisions which might have taken Series S development into account. We just know about one though and that's BG3 because they publicly said it.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

Exactly right, people can't understand the design philosophy is the problem and that's more to do with them than the console.
If you want the most powerful console then just buy a Series X, the point of Series S is not to compete with that console visually, it's to give some of the advantages of a next gen consoles at a more affordable entry price.
It's cheap, very small, quiet and has a fraction of the power draw. Although it's not a handheld it's very portable which is helped by quick resume where you can remove power and still continue your game later elsewhere. Getting 120fps at 80w power draw is incredible. You can run this machine for hours off a solar generator in your motorhome.
I know people who have Series S as their main and only console, I know PS5 owners who own one as a way to play Gamepass, I know people who see it as a bedroom console or a support console to their Series X as you can use the same file to play the same game elsewhere. It fits into many situations.
Technically it will be interesting when we see Forza Motorsport and other first party games, if it's capable of 1080p at 60fps with in game RT as they claim then that's a potent package for the price. It's already coped very well with the next gen only software like Flight Simulator and the UE5 Matrix demo along with the Fortnite upgrade.
Could MS have made it more powerful, sure, more ram and ram bandwith would have been helpful but the point was to have hundreds of dollars difference in price with the Series X, if you don't have that difference then it becomes pretty pointless having two different consoles.

rapid32.5

Underpowered Switch could get away with downgrades with great sales as a backup. MS can not dictate to devs what to do yet, but anything is possible from the devs' point of development. Get better sales and games first.

Last edited:

mdkirby

I think if you can’t get something like Baldurs Gate 3 to run on the series S you as a dev studio are doing something completely wrong. There is no reason why this game would not run with some toned down graphics and other things. I can imagine the dev just not wanting to take the time to optimize for it though.
There are added technical issues in this instance, as they need to render everything twice in co-op, and there's limits to what can be cut for the series S without compromising their vision for the game, and the quality of product they are happy to release. Some devs (and rightly so wouldn't want to do that). Then there is the very real matter of cost. YES they 'could' commit additional developers, or have their existing dev team keep slaving away on it, but how many are needed? and for how long? its also quite deflating to stay in crunch post-release, for a platform that they won't actually sell that many units on given the sales disparity between the platforms. Those same developers could be utilised on more commercially valuable tasks, such as building DLC to drive more revenue from pc/ps players, or develop new products. Their biz dev and finance people will be crunching those numbers to determine if those costs are worth it. It could be they just assign one guy to it and in a year they eventually get something out. Time will tell I suppose.

DragonNCM

My series S play's games like champ on my 1080P monitor & I don't give a shit about RT or 4K(for that I have PS5) perfect console for low budget gaming.
After all MS provided choice for gamers that is cheep.

There are added technical issues in this instance, as they need to render everything twice in co-op, and there's limits to what can be cut for the series S without compromising their vision for the game, and the quality of product they are happy to release. Some devs (and rightly so wouldn't want to do that). Then there is the very real matter of cost. YES they 'could' commit additional developers, or have their existing dev team keep slaving away on it, but how many are needed? and for how long? its also quite deflating to stay in crunch post-release, for a platform that they won't actually sell that many units on given the sales disparity between the platforms. Those same developers could be utilised on more commercially valuable tasks, such as building DLC to drive more revenue from pc/ps players, or develop new products. Their biz dev and finance people will be crunching those numbers to determine if those costs are worth it. It could be they just assign one guy to it and in a year they eventually get something out. Time will tell I suppose.
Just gimp the co-op and give it crap graphics. At least it can be released. On the other hand, I have a PS5 as well and it’s my main console so I don’t care so much myself 😁. I understand if they don’t want to butcher their vision and respect their decision, just mentioning nothing is impossible.

Top Bottom