• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and PS5 GPU TFLOPS Difference Will Mostly Matter To Xbox Exclusives – Quantum League Developer

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It’s the other way around, in 15 years of development I have never developed for the strongest hardware and then down ported it to match weaker hardware. This way creates way to many problems, imagine you are a Engine developer, you develop a engine that needs a minimum of 2.4 g/s of transfer speed from your storage medium (this is an example), how would you now bridge this deficit ? It is possible, but you would have to rewrite your entire engine around this problem. Which is why you look at each individual part of the platforms you release and then always take into consideration the weakest hardware.
Now the gpu is the easiest power deficit you can migrate, simply reducing the graphics fidelity will give the weaker hardware enough of a boost to bridge the difference in power (or resolution etc.).
The cpu on the other hand is more of a problem, where you really have to start putting effort into optimisation work, architectural difference is one problem but if there is also a significant power difference your problems really start to show (see ps3 and Xbox 360 for a similar problem).
Storage mediums are a huge problem and will be difficult to port for, if you require a certain amount of bandwidth. Imagine you really need the ps5 level ssd speeds and then you suddenly have to port your game to Xbox series X. This will create fundamental problems in streaming things into your game and the problem only increases when you take into consideration that on pcs most users still store their games on hdds. Now you have a real problem, for what kind of problems start to appear, watch the digital foundry video on playing star citizen with an Hdd. This game “only” requires a normal sata ssd to be played, imagine what would happen if your engine requires the ps5 ssd as a minimum, it would simply be unplayable.

These are examples why you always start with the weakest platform for each of the hardware components in mind and then start developing your game. That does not mean you cannot take advantage of the stronger hardware like Xbox Series X gpu or PlayStation 5 ssd, but you take the weaker hardware as the base for your development and then increase the fidelity and effects for the stronger hardware.

Multi platform games no doubt will look better on Xbox, but do not expect a huge difference in what can be done. Instead you will either see better graphics for example more foliage in an environment or better effects, more stable fps etc. See this generation for reference and remember this gen had a difference of ~40% while the next won’t even be 20%. So keep this in mind.

Cheers.
More people need to read this post :)

nemiroff

Gold Member
That's not really true according to already existing multiplatform games between f.ex. PC vs Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. Resolution, framerate, fx, details.., in almost all games developers already seems to do some degrees of bespoke tweaks to make use of reserves.

Last edited:

Shmunter

We don’t even know how RDNA2 responds to clocks vs cu. Deficit could be bigger, or it could be smaller. Heck in some cases it could even be opposite to what we even expect - as far fetched as it sounds.

No.

7dbea5c32b97d006e14ea62e7edf70c113d17c21844d33e0a594179e2ff646ab.jpg

Billions of ray intersection tests per second isn't the same as billions of rays fired per second.

I disagree with most of the comments, 36cu ranged as a midrange class gpu , 52cu ranged as a highend class gpu ,remember that we are dealing with a legitimate desktop parts with no downgrades or a cut down at all , from a desktop gaming PC perspective the midrange class benefits results in the basic visual design appearance while the high-end class gets the extra juicy effects that has been requested since forever and it matters the most at this mean time.

Romulus

I disagree with most of the comments, 36cu ranged as a midrange class gpu , 52cu ranged as a highend class gpu ,remember that we are dealing with a legitimate desktop parts with no downgrades or a cut down at all , from a desktop gaming PC perspective the midrange class benefits results in the basic visual design appearance while the high-end class gets the extra juicy effects that has been requested since forever and it matters the most at this mean time.

Developers rarely even mention CUs "more is always better" when talking about performance, I just hear gamers doing that. I just think if it was that big of deal, that's all we'd hear about from them needing more CUs from last gen. It's mostly just about the CPU constraints.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned

XSX and PS5 will be pretty close in most titles, but saying 10TF is all you need when many games are gunna be stuck at 30 is silly. Games made today can benefit from 30 TF if they use RT, which is why we need stuff like the upcoming RTX 3000 series

Developers rarely even mention CUs "more is always better" when talking about performance, I just hear gamers doing that. I just think if it was that big of deal, that's all we'd hear about from them needing more CUs from last gen. It's mostly just about the CPU constraints.
Mods will play a huge role with XSX ,mark my words.

Neo_game

It makes lot of sense that exclusive will take advantage of the console strengths as it will be tailored made for it and dev do not need to worry about other versions. Problem arises if Microsoft releases Xbox S because games will use that as the lowest spec target.

Top Bottom