• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XboxAxis gave Driv3r a 9.0

IMO, Driv3r on foot wasn't made great but it was built to bring back the Driver roots with better graphics and amazing physics engine. Yeah Driv3r is linear but with 15hr of gameplay that's not to bad. Another thing, What games is 100% bug free?

Damn This Is A Big Town
More to the point, all three cities are big towns. Really big.

One of things the Driver series has always been heralded for is the great graphics (Well, for a PS1…) and its massive environments; that are always based in real world cities and accurately reflect the street layout of said cities. So that if you know the short cuts to get from Downtown to Compton in “Driver Los Angeles” you’ll probably be able to take the exact same route in “Real World Los Angeles”.

The Driv3r is no exception but… WOW…

This latest iteration on the most powerful console sure did get a major facelift. Granted, this is the Xbox we’re talking about, so most people aren’t going to expect an ugly looking game, but the sheer scale of the cities and the level of detail on both the environments and the cars is staggering. Eagle-eyed gamers may notice some draw-in happening here and there on the particularly long straight aways (i.e., you’ll see some buildings mysteriously fading into existence in the distance, as the game struggles to render the massive world and can’t quite keep up with you) but for the most part, you’ll have a very real sense of being in a big American or European city with all the crazy city planning that entails.

It’s all very atmospheric. For example in Miami, they’ve done a BANG UP job with the architecture. Even Tanner’s home is something you’d expect from a slick American Interior Design magazine with the clean lines and modern décor. Combine that with walking outside hopping in a car and driving into any part of the city with no loading time at all, and you have one hell of an immersive experience. Even the light of the day is accurately reflected, with warm yellows in the morning, some very nice orange tinting to the sky and atmosphere at sunset and some tropical evening blues and purples at night. Reflections have always been good with environments but with Driv3r they really knock themselves out.

The Final Word

Driv3r was, is, and always will be, the King of the car chase genre of games. Of course, not many games make that the exclusive realm they focus in, so it’s the King of a very small kingdom indeed, but make no mistake, it RULES. Alas, many gamers will feel the narrow focus of the game too confining after the monster of a game that is the GTA series. But for those gamers that like very tight, very focused gameplay and are big fans of car chases, this really is a no brainer. It’s an incredibly fun, if very limited game in terms of its focus, and if anything, gives gamers a taste of what the next GTA series could look and feel like. But it ain’t no GTA itself.

In the end, if you take Driv3r for what it is, though, it does it better than ANYONE else, and it’s a highly recommended if limiting experience.

More here.

D3_06.jpg

D3_01.jpg

D3_05.jpg

I don't think i've ever seen a game get such extremely different reviews. You generally see games getting all good to great reviews or all bad to mediocre reviews. Driver 3's getting some great reviews and some really bad ones. There's really no middle in it.

I'm still going to check it out. I've always loved Reflections physics engines so if only for that it should be fun for a few hours.

Definitely a rental...if that works out, then it's probably a discount buy...but who knows. This may be a title that I can list on those regular threads about games that you liked that no one else did.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
XboxGamers said:
IMO, Driv3r on foot wasn't made great but it was built to bring back the Driver roots with better graphics and amazing physics engine. Yeah Driv3r is linear but with 15hr of gameplay that's not to bad. Another thing, What games is 100% bug free?

Such rationalization....

Koshiro said:
*raises hand*

Is there any doubt?

... yes ...

XboxGamers said:

... but only amongst Xbots.

The general concensus is that this game is an awful, shoddy, buggy mess.

Still, that's not to say it won't get stellar reviews in many places, for obvious reasons. ;)

ElyrionX said:
Uhhhh believe me when I say that XboxAxis probably has as good as zero credibility...........

That much is clear from their writing. But, if you have some nice juicy details do spill them :D

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Wario64 said:
Well at least we know who's getting money hats from Atari

yes, i am sure Atari's grand marketing scheme starts with a bought review from the great and well known xbox axis

ElyrionX

I don't have any "juicy" things to share but I do know about the history of the site and this knowledge dates back to even before the site was created.............

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
ElyrionX said:
I don't have any "juicy" things to share but I do know about the history of the site and this knowledge dates back to even before the site was created.............

well dont just sit there and tease us spill the beans man!

lexbubble

SolidSnakex said:
I don't think i've ever seen a game get such extremely different reviews. You generally see games getting all good to great reviews or all bad to mediocre reviews. Driver 3's getting some great reviews and some really bad ones. There's really no middle in it.

I'm still going to check it out. I've always loved Reflections physics engines so if only for that it should be fun for a few hours.

What you have said here is the reason why i am going to make my own decision...clearly a lot of these reviews are left to personal opinion of the reviewer.

Top Bottom