• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

I'm playing it now on PS4 for the first time. The performance is atrocious all around, from the game performance to loading to everything else. I don't know how such an unimpressive game can run like such a dog.
Procedural generation and massive destructability are massive pains in the ass for CPUs. That's why Microsoft did those cloud computing destructability demos.

Lady Gaia

Procedural generation and massive destructability are massive pains in the ass for CPUs. That's why Microsoft did those cloud computing destructability demos.

I keep checking for the promised PS4 Pro patch in the hopes that it will make a difference, but no sign as of last night. Not that any of this would explain the awful hitchy animation while the game is loading before or after a mission. For crying out loud, don't block on I/O! That's pretty basic and it should be painfully obvious to anyone who tests the game.

Then again, I'd prioritize all the crashing and mission-breaking bugs, too, but shipping in rough shape on both fronts without a single patch since is just embarrassing.

Gator86

I keep checking for the promised PS4 Pro patch in the hopes that it will make a difference, but no sign as of last night. Not that any of this would explain the awful hitchy animation while the game is loading before or after a mission. For crying out loud, don't block on I/O! That's pretty basic and it should be painfully obvious to anyone who tests the game.

Then again, I'd prioritize all the crashing and mission-breaking bugs, too, but shipping in rough shape on both fronts without a single patch since is just embarrassing.

Yeah, the QA on this port is abysmal. In just a day of play, I've had shit performance, infinite load times, multiple crashes, endless bugs, and jank game design you would have thought they'd fix after 1.

Just had to reload a game where a character got yanked by a viper then left inside a wall when I killed the viper. The pods thing continues to feel dumb. No other game with fog of war does anything like this and concealment feels like it was added just because they couldn't figure out a fix for the pod crap.

I might just not have patience for XCOM's shit anymore. The first few hours of the game where people on your team are literally incapable of hitting anything, even at point blank range, is an interminable slog. The game pays no attention to line of sight for shots. Sometimes overwatch just simply doesn't activate even though a muton is in an open field, running directly in front of my sniper.

I would love the see an XCOM game that actually iterates on the series and isn't a glitchy mess. This just feels like they were halfway through development then said fuck it and put out what they had. Most of this is early impressions through the first ten hours of so, but I'm not confident it's going to get better.

Lady Gaia

The game may be a technical mess but I still found it rewarding and deep, just frustrating. I did stick with it to the end (after restarting once when the difficulty spiked absurdly and I realized that changing difficulty mid-way through the game only changes the pace at which difficulty increases, it doesn't actually make anything easier.)

Gator86

The game may be a technical mess but I still found it rewarding and deep, just frustrating. I did stick with it to the end (after restarting once when the difficulty spiked absurdly and I realized that changing difficulty mid-way through the game only changes the pace at which difficulty increases, it doesn't actually make anything easier.)

Yeah, I loved the first but I can't get into this one. Just not clicking at all for me. The performance, glitches, and XCOMy bullshit have killed it.

Just lost a ranger through a hilariously XCOM event. Had her split off from the rest of my squad in concealment and scouting with phantom so she'd be safe if everyone else was discovered. On the other side, i set a solid ambush on an enemy with kill zone covering every potential enemy and path, multiple overwatches, and other tricks. Trigger the ambush and immediately miss 3 90ish shots. The one shot that does land causes the enemy to clone which appears across the map, directly on top of my concealed ranger, breaking her concealment and triggering two other pods. The newly activated enemies run straight at her and kill her with kill zone not activating for all but 1. PS4 turned off immediately.

So I rebooted this game on veteran with some long war mods, better advent etc. and holy shit am I getting my ass kicked.

Sectoids are so much more dangerous now, and those drones fuck your shit up.

Facing 20 enemies on the first (real) mission is crazy!

J_Viper

So I just got this and started on Normal, and nearly got destroyed on the first mission.

Is it only gonna to get way more difficult from here?

Please say no because I dig the hell out of the style and I don't wanna get a refund

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So I just got this and started on Normal, and nearly got destroyed on the first mission.

Is it only gonna to get way more difficult from here?

Please say no because I dig the hell out of the style and I don't wanna get a refund

I guess a bit, but if you can get to the point where the first mission is easy it's not that bad. Maybe practice a little more before going full hardcore.

Late Flag

Now that this is on sale for $30, I figured I should check in here to see if they had patched the performance issues on consoles yet. Looks like they haven't. That sucks. I really liked EU, but I'm not buying a semi-broken game even at half price.

GravyButt

Any xb1 controller support patched in on the steam version yet? Last I heard a few months ago no, but figured id check now! Thanks!

I stopped playing shortly after launch because of the performance issues. Thought I would jump in now 10 months later because surely they've fixed it. Nope. Still runs like trash. I can't believe I paid full price for this.

Digital Deluxe for 36$ CAN on bundlestars.

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/star-deal

While stocks last.

Oh man, I JUST passed my 2 hour Steam refund limit! Oh well, it's only some cosmetics and the soundtrack in the Digital Deluxe, not the content DLC, so I guess I can live. What a fantastic game... I loved the first one and have a pretty decent number of hours in it. I mean, I ain't no Beaglerush, but I know which end of the gun to point at the bad guys. So I dialed up the difficulty on this one out of the gate and managed to lose people on the first few missions. Loving it!

I'm replaying the game, and I sure hope they figure out something better than the pod system for XCOM 3. It's so annoying how you have greater mobility in this game than EU, but the way they have pods sitting just outside the fog, almost any forward movement just results in activating another pod. So rather than sit behind cover and shoot like EU, now you sit behind cover, blow up their cover, and shoot. :/

Umm what the fuck just happened? I started a new game because my last one fell apart. 5 missions in and this fucking viper shows up with a billion health and moves after every one of my moves. My entire team got destroyed immediately. It was ironman too so I just got completely ruined. How the hell does that happen?

Sober

Umm what the fuck just happened? I started a new game because my last one fell apart. 5 missions in and this fucking viper shows up with a billion health and moves after every one of my moves. My entire team got destroyed immediately. It was ironman too so I just got completely ruined. How the hell does that happen?
Pretty sure that's the Alien Hunters DLC

TheTrain

Long War 2 coming in XCOM2!

5795a2a737e58d496980847b3128b8c2beaed420.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/games/268500/announcements/detail/516059488016059316

Why the hell are DLC enemies in my game when I didn't select any dlc? I just wasted hours of my life for nothing. It showed up on the very next mission as well with my last 5 soldiers. All dead. There is no recovering from this now.

Disabling the DLC when you start a new game is not enough. It only disables the story missions. You need to disable the DLC in steam.

Yes!

Disabling the DLC when you start a new game is not enough. It only disables the story missions. You need to disable the DLC in steam.

That is incredibly stupid. I can't believe someone thought it was a good idea to spawn impossible enemies into people's early games without any notice.

Mindlog

Those enemies trigger after you begin that mission. You can postpone that mission indefinitely and avoid those enemies if you don't want to face them.
Expected. I've finished the tutorial several times. Bring on the real game :]

Eusis

Was this really not posted in about it being in next month's Humble Monthly?

Whatever, sunk my teeth in the tutorial bit and really liking how the Steam controller is used in this, although I wish they put prompts in too. Awesome to have basically two mice via the track pads.

I installed Better Advent 2 with the Shadow Ops LW class pack and I'm balls deep in this game again.

Firaxis really nailed this sequel, it's a shame they fucked up Civ VI so badly.

I'm back at the game after buying all the DLC and not getting a chance to play it, and yeah, the DLC quality is unfortunately poop. Ugly, ugly gear and customization options, and Alien Rulers are just not the way you add more challenge to this game. It'll be nice to see what Long War 2 and Beaglerush's mod pack does to the game. No more destroy every pod on sight or else I guess. :)

illusionary

i just bought xcom2 thanks to humble montly...should i buy some dlc or not?

me too. haven't bought any dlc but there are some cool ass mods available via workshop support

Shen's Last Gift is particularly worth getting IMO; Alien Hunters also, to a less extent - though of course. just buying the Reinforcement Pack is the most cost-effective approach. For the price, though, you'd probably want to wait until they're next discounted.

Beaulieu

Hello. I bought this on the monthly humble sale, I was a huge fan of the first one and played through multiple time on Xbox360.

Now that Ive got this one on PC, I was thinking looking at some of the mods...
My question is : Should I mod the game on my 1st playthrough? Or should I do a vanilla playthrough before getting into the modding ? Would a "long was" first playthough be a good idea ?

I will not pay for DLC tho.

thanks neogaf

edit : nm, I guess long war isnt out yet ! Ill start vanilla then.

Hello. I bought this on the monthly humble sale, I was a huge fan of the first one and played through multiple time on Xbox360.

Now that Ive got this one on PC, I was thinking looking at some of the mods...
My question is : Should I mod the game on my 1st playthrough? Or should I do a vanilla playthrough before getting into the modding ? Would a "long was" first playthough be a good idea ?

I will not pay for DLC tho.

thanks neogaf

edit : nm, I guess long war isnt out yet ! Ill start vanilla then.

There are some quality of life UI mods you should get.

Zemm

Yeah, I loved the first but I can't get into this one. Just not clicking at all for me. The performance, glitches, and XCOMy bullshit have killed it.

Just lost a ranger through a hilariously XCOM event. Had her split off from the rest of my squad in concealment and scouting with phantom so she'd be safe if everyone else was discovered. On the other side, i set a solid ambush on an enemy with kill zone covering every potential enemy and path, multiple overwatches, and other tricks. Trigger the ambush and immediately miss 3 90ish shots. The one shot that does land causes the enemy to clone which appears across the map, directly on top of my concealed ranger, breaking her concealment and triggering two other pods. The newly activated enemies run straight at her and kill her with kill zone not activating for all but 1. PS4 turned off immediately.

I got it in the humble bundle and feel exactly the same after 13 hours played. I've uninstalled it now because I got zero fun from the game. I had a much better time with xcom 1.

Edit: was meant to quote your first post on this page.

ABA2 and the Shadow Ops LW pack is legit. Still spending most of my time with ucross' Long War EW rebalance but given a coherent set of mods and ruleset the extensibility in the game really shines.

BTW I am 110% sure that LW2 is going to be insanely good based on the reactions from the beta testers-these aren't easily impressed people and they can't wait talk about it to everyone.

i just bought xcom2 thanks to humble montly...should i buy some dlc or not?

I don't think it's essential at all. Then again I have like 3k hours playing EW without DLCs not because I didn't own them, but because they get boring after the tenth time running the same mission.

Hmm, additional mission types sounds fun. Yeah, not bad.

40-50 enemies on the first retaliation mission? *unsubscribe, delete saves*
Yeah, Additional Mission Types needs some tweaks, like not tossing Haven Sieges at you for the first Retaliation Mission, and telling you about those reinforcement rookies on the PR tour missions.

Beaulieu

I got it in the humble bundle and feel exactly the same after 13 hours played. I've uninstalled it now because I got zero fun from the game. I had a much better time with xcom 1.

Edit: was meant to quote your first post on this page.

I dont understand this
Im only around 6 hours into it, but I love it even more than the first one so far, I like that my guys are much more cuztomizable.
Maybe Ill change my mind when I hit the crazy difficulty spike, but it doesnt bother me much to start over, I love the gameplay.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Man, city missions in Spectrum are ridicolously brutal.
I got a flanked unit on a concealed scout, the riot trooper immediatelly called the MEC sentinel in response, and my mad dash to get the fuck outta there failed, resulting in 6 dead.
Ironman run, 25ish missions in. C\I. Man, too fucking brutal. I'm alt-f4ing the next time that shit happens.

iosefe

Started a playthrough with mass effect characters and the long war stuff. Ramped up my squad to 8 people.

I started Shen's last gift and regretted it.

The elevator stand off was hell. I had Wrex in a corner providing support for everyone else to make it through. It was down to Wrex and Mordin (well, a guy with his voice) and with Wrex on the defense, I sent "Mordin" up the elevator. Wrex was over run, suppressed, with a mec about to explode in his face...

He made a move for the elevator, and escaped successfully.

At that point I saved and will get back to finish the misison tomorrow. But boy that was thrilling

Here's a new alternative mod launcher!
GitHub - Gribbleshnibit8/xcom2-launcher: Unofficial XCOM 2 launcher
Features

Skips the official xcom launcher
Categories
Basic compability check (duplicate ids, class conflicts)
Basic steam support (details, changelog, unsubscribe)
Cleans old ModOverride entries from XComEngine.ini
Can delete unnecessary files to reduce memory footprint

Requirements

.NET 4.6 (if you're on win 7, you might need to update)
64-bit Windows (Mac might be possible if you compile with mono)
Steam running

Setup
Extract all files where-ever you want and run the exe. The launcher should detect game path etc. automatically.
You can use Tools > Import active mods for a quicker first time setup, if you want.
UI:

Launch button moved to top menu
Filter box added to mod list
Mod Info panel always showing
Sorting by Index column now shows in order without groups
Ability to toggle open/closed all groups at once

Misc:

Loading profiles now tries to include groups as well (when loading a profile that inclues mods that are not installed. Exit app, wait for mods to install, then reload and reapply profile)
Config editor included in Mod Info panel (see section below)

Config Editor:

Full config editing now included in launcher
Backup/Restore modifications to configs
Compare backups to current files with diff viewer

catilio

Just got it from Humble Monthly.

Played a few missions, until the first VIP rescue.
VIP was able to dash until he got to the evac zone.

My entire squad was wiped out.

11/10

ManeKast

I've spent 90hrs on the PC version and now invested in the PS4 version with all DLC and still am yet to beat this game. I simply love it. My latest obsession is Ironman/Rookie just to see how far I can get.

Honestly, game of the year to me.

Zach

Beat it last night. On Rookie or whatever the easiest setting is. Crazy that that's the easiest setting. It was a really hard game. I only reloaded if one of my top few soldiers died, but I still probably averaged one reload per mission.

It was still a very fun game at times (I played on PS4; put it in my GOTY voting; P.S. it chugged a lot there at the end on PS4), but I feel they need to do better with the difficulty settings. Like, I'd gift the game to my casual brother if easy mode was easy mode, but it's not, so I'm not going to bother. He'd no doubt get frustrated early in and quit, even though he'd probably enjoy the gameplay.

I probably liked the first game more due to this, among some other little things, but it was still a cool game. I hope they make another, but with additional, better-thought-out difficulty settings.

Top Bottom