• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Twitter & Website updates thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Horizon-

Seems like whoever at Nintendo were bribing Famitsu got something mixed up:

Xenoblade X: 9/8/8/9
Puzzle & Dragons SMB: 9/9/9/9
Ayyyyy

some stuff from famitsu review

-to play this enormous world and story you need time and effort
-the cutscene is too long so sometimes it feels like watching a movie
-the explanation for the world is good but too much cutscenes
-the tempo of dialogue is slow
-lack of explanations for game systems
lmao

Though the last two are negatives in my eyes as well.
Elma is
29 years old
, from today's information.
:3c

chadboban

FsiLoFu.gif

FsiLoFu.gif

FsiLoFu.gif

FsiLoFu.gif

I'm so here for this and slightly screaming that this things are considered negatives =D

I love that gif.

Well, at least this should stop people from freaking out that Takahashi was going to make a game without much of a story. Not that those fears were ever rational.

You know what they say, if your cutscenes persist for more than 10 hours, consult an ether medic.

Consult an ether medic to tell him how cool your game is.

Anyway, story in this game was never my concern and tbh, I was baffled at how people thought that.

That being said, 9's and 8's are pretty much what I expect this game to get over here. Specially after the reception of the first game.

Hopefully the cutscenes can be skipped.

Xbro

Naw I think thats jumping the gun a lil bit, what I think might be
is she is maybe a soldier or bodyguard sent down by god to maybe to watch or protect the humans on this planet, being a takahashi game, there will be some sort of god.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that
Cross is the one she is protecting
Either that or there is the
pilot of the Moby Dick
that was mentioned in one of the specials on the website.

Would you guys say there were a lot of cutscenes in XBC? It's been a few years since I played through it, but I don't remember thinking there were a lot (and certainly not "too many"), especially compared to how cutscene-heavy the Xenosaga titles were.
There were around 10-ish hours of cutscenes in Xenoblade. Xenosaga III had around 8-ish. The difference is the amount of gameplay in between.

I was with you up to the last bit. Poorly explained system is a negative, no matter how you slice it. Whether their definition of "poorly explained" matches mine, or yours, or other actual players is another question though.

Not no matter how you look at it. It may be for some, but I neglected to read the tutorials in Xenoblade, and a lot of the fun I had in the game was figuring out something new every day.

They were shown skipping cutscenes at e3 2014.

rjinaz

On subsequent playthroughs I agree completely. But a big part of rpgs is the story. I mean people can play how they want obviously, but I can't imagine skipping huge sections of the story no matter how long they are. If I'm that impatient then a game like this probably isn't for me in the first place.

Verger

Banned
Long cutscenes can definitely be a negative if the storytelling is poor, the narration sucks or the voices are terrible. That's what I'm concerned with when even Famitsu says the tempo (pacing?) of the dialogue is too slow, that is not good.

Just hoping NoA's localization team does well.

Fandangox

On subsequent playthroughs I agree completely. But a big part of rpgs is the story. I mean people can play how they want obviously, but I can't imagine skipping huge sections of the story no matter how long they are. If I'm that impatient then a game like this probably isn't for me in the first place.

Well if people want to skip the first time around, might as well just give them the option right?

rjinaz

Well if people want to skip the first time around, might as well just give them the option right?

Yeah sure, I don't see why not. Like I said, people can play how they want and Xenoblade was a game that let people do just that in a lot of ways. You could rush through it and not even bother with quests or a lot of the systems in place or you could do everything the game had to offer. I'll assume this game will be the same way.

rhandino

Banned
I was with you up to the last bit. Poorly explained system is a negative, no matter how you slice it. Whether their definition of "poorly explained" matches mine, or yours, or other actual players is another question though.
A lot of people said that Xenoblade had very poor tutorials and that some systems had no proper explanation... then I played the game and saw that every new mechanic was explained in 3 o 4 panels of texts and diagrams giving very detailed explanations.

There needs to be a balance, too much and people complain tha the game "is holding their hands and don't let them experiment and explore" but too little and the complaints are "the game gives no explanation of it's systems, it's obscure for the sake of being obscure".

I will be happy if the tutorials are the same as the original: nice, quick and on point.

DJIzana

Hoping there will be a lot of HQ wallpapers incoming from fans (or even officially) for Xenoblade Chronicles X. This game practically SCREAMS for it.

Despera

Banned
hmm... cutscenes that are too long?

Depending on the direction and how interesting the story and characters are this might be a good thing.

Overside

Banned
A lot of people said that Xenoblade had very poor tutorials and that some systems had no proper explanation... then I played the game and saw that every new mechanic was explained in 3 o 4 panels of texts and diagrams giving very detailed explanations.

There needs to be a balance, too much and people complain tha the game "is holding their hands and don't let them experiment and explore" but too little and the complaints are "the game gives no explanation of it's systems, it's obscure for the sake of being obscure".

I will be happy if the tutorials are the same as the original: nice, quick and on point.

Its happening all over again with xb3d all over miiverse.

People purposefully jam on the a button skip over the tutorials, then instantly complain about not knowing what to do in the fight that starts immediately after the explanation.

This will undoubtedly repeat for X

I remember a time when Famitsu would be rubbing it's hands in devilish glee at the very thought of a game like this. Now, the once proud and mighty warrior of old is nothing more than a timid eunuch cowering at the sight of his fabled past.

I remember a time when Famitsu would be rubbing it's hands in devilish glee at the very thought of a game like this. Now, the once proud and mighty warrior of old is nothing more than a timid eunuch cowering at the sight of his fabled past.

Well said.

Really though, what game did they expect to play? A 300 hour game is going to have (and it better) some meaty cutscenes. Also, even if the game itself doesn't explain everything perfectly, there have been a ton of tutorials on the game website.

Astral Dog

lol at too many cutscenes, with people worried the game wasn't going to have any story at all.
unless the story is really, really bad.

Other M being different or FFXIII having bad design is irrelevant. I have already said that the gameplay part is not what's bothering me.
Look it's the same thing for a movie trailer. You don't know every detail about the story but what they've shown you can displease you and you can take a disliking of the overall idea and how it is done.

Cutscenes/storywise, I don't like how they look, how they are directed, what it is said and how it is said, and everytime they have shown something on that front I have been bored or rolled my eyes.
I don't see anything either smart, concise, interesting or even visually pleasing. As far as I'm concerned it's the opposite. It's more shit like what's in the late xenoblade parts. I have endured way too many games (especially japanese) like that to not recognize it when I see it.
Maybe it'll be like Xenoblade and the worst chunk will be confined to the later parts (after all considering who's behind it it's a given) and it'll be fine. Only this time for me characters won't get me to swallow it because bleh, they seem more annoying than anything else.
I think you are judging too early, its true that the game is experimenting far more than it first appears, silent MC, different composer, slightly different art direction, focus on vehicles, more gritty story, a few ugly /weird designs, etc. its not just Xenoblade 2, but still can be a great game with an interesting plot, too soon to compare to Other M or FFXIII. these games had their own huge issues.

probably a step down from Xenoblade though, unless you really like Mechs.

Akai

Something interesting I found in the latest info dump is that the weird "tear in reality" attack that Lyn uses several times in past vids (Drum Bash?) is exclusive to her. I hope they actually explain what is going on with it...

Peltz

Something interesting I found in the latest info dump is that the weird "tear in reality" attack that Lyn uses several times in past vids (Drum Bash?) is exclusive to her. I hope they actually explain what is going on with it...

Of course they will. I'm sure it's something derived from the plot (in addition to looking totally badass).

Hype intensifies.I also consider most of Famitsu's negatives as actual positives. :D

We need a western release date. It's OK if it's far down the year or even 2016, but not knowing if the game is one month or one year away is frustrating. Especially since there is nothing else I want right now that has even a Japanese date, either.

I don't see anything either smart, concise, interesting or even visually pleasing. As far as I'm concerned it's the opposite. It's more shit like what's in the late xenoblade parts. I have endured way too many games (especially japanese) like that to not recognize it when I see it.

Maybe it'll be like Xenoblade and the worst chunk will be confined to the later parts (after all considering who's behind it it's a given) and it'll be fine. Only this time for me characters won't get me to swallow it because bleh, they seem more annoying than anything else.

I really loved the last stretch of Xenoblade's story: to me it offered a good payoff and most of the twists and lore were well done, yet straightforward enough that you don't need a timeline and relationship chart to understand all of it even playing for the first time (a complaint often, and fairly, leveraged at other Takahashi works). Considering how abysmal most JPG stories ted to be, I can't think of any from the past generation that really tops it (unless you consider P3P part of that generation).

What I'm saying is, if this was crap to you, what JRPG story did you actually enjoy in the past ten years?

B.K.

you don't need a timeline and relationship chart to understand all of it even playing for the first time (a complaint often, and fairly, leveraged at other Takahashi works).

That's not true at all. The only way you need any charts for Xenogears or Xenosaga is if you don't pay attention. The stories aren't nearly as complicated as people try to make them out to be.

Overside

Banned

She hides her freakish face behind her shield, and then quickly exposes it, rending nearby reality asunder.

VariantX

Having flashbacks all the way back to Xenosaga ep. 1. I can't see it as much of a negative though if you'll be spending far more time playing the game itself.

Those negatives are positives. And we English players will benefit from the wealth of information coming soon, so I'm no worried about being lost with the game systems.

I think some of those criticisms from a design perspective are pretty valid honestly.

The world is big and all, but there's only so much you can fit in it that's actually very interesting. The game could be a whole lot of good hiding the whole lot of super awesome great. 300hours but how much or that is truly enjoyable? I'd say playing Xenoblade for me even was great had this flaw during some of the sidequests and other optional stuff like grinding out every landmark and area.

Basically this.

Not no matter how you look at it. It may be for some, but I neglected to read the tutorials in Xenoblade, and a lot of the fun I had in the game was figuring out something new every day.

Agreed, I couldn't skip through those tutorials fast enough.

I think some of those criticisms from a design perspective are pretty valid honestly.

All criticism is valid, it's just a matter of who those opinions relate to. Most of the people who have been following the game closely in this thread were probably more worried the cutscenes were too short and the world too small, and their complaints go a long way of reassuring us even if it's not for everybody.

That said, they rated the game highly. I don't see much reason to read their review negatively despite what has been quoted so far.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Would you guys say there were a lot of cutscenes in XBC? It's been a few years since I played through it, but I don't remember thinking there were a lot (and certainly not "too many"), especially compared to how cutscene-heavy the Xenosaga titles were.
Once it got near the end the cutscenes really ramped up in the amount and length, but it wasn't bad because the story was really engaging by that point

Heroman

Banned

Xenoblade explain it mechanic terribly , I beat the game with knowing the combat system
And that game is great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom