• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yay! I got me a new computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Happy New Year to me. Well, its not the most "top of the line" but it will certainly help me with making my portfolio.

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 660 (3.6GHz,800FSB) w/HT Technology and 2MB cache
2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
17 in (17.0 in viewable) 1704FPvt Digital Flat Panel Display
256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX
NCQ Serial ATA RAID 0 with Dual 160GB Hard Drives
Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable
Sound Blaster Audigy™ 2 ZS (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, IEEE 1394 capability

It was a $2500 XPS at purchase, but i used some coupons and got the price down, though CA taxes brought it right back up, so in the end, it came to about $2350 total.

Man, dual-graphics cards really doubled the price though, something like $500 more for a dual 256MB 7800GTX and if you want a dual 512MB GTX, then pay over $1100 extra.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I was mad that Dell didn't offer the latest ATi videocards, but I figured that if I really need to upgrade later, I'll find a way to make that work. It shouldn't be a problem because I believe the 7800 GTX is a pretty nice piece of hardware.

Ark-AMN

Banned
It is? I thought it was one of the higher end ones. The only higher Dell offered was a 3.8Ghz, or the dual-core systems and I've heard that dual-core really doesn't make that much of a difference if you aren't into multitasking. I do wish Dell offered AMD CPU's, but they don't.

Deg said:
Nice. Your CPU is abit weak however. Doesnt match the rest of the system.
It's not weak...

But it is a shame that the XPS series (well DELL for that matter) doesn't have athlon 64X2

Deg

Banned
Ark-AMN said:
It is? I thought it was one of the higher end ones. The only higher Dell offered was a 3.8Ghz, or the dual-core systems and I've heard that dual-core really doesn't make that much of a difference if you aren't into multitasking. I do wish Dell offered AMD CPU's, but they don't.

Well AMD would have been better. Dual Core does make a small difference with the new graphic drivers. For a Dell you did great. I think next time i might make my own or see if i can get a great deal. Dell have nice support and its easy going through them. Outside the processor the system is killer. :D

Ark-AMN

Banned
Yeah, I've heard AMD's cards are much much better for graphics and such, it really is a shame that Dell doesn't offer them up as an alternative. They probably have a deal with Intel.

Again, someone told me if I didn't use multi-tasking then its better to get a single-core CPU with a higher clock than a dual-core CPU with a weaker clock.

As much as I'd like to build my own computer, I've heard a lot of ugly stories to make me think otherwise. Sure you can get all the parts at a cheaper rate, but then, you have to deal with compatibility issues and then problems which could be related to any one of the components which you may have to send back and wait for new ones. Definately don't want to go through all that hassle.

Deg

Banned
Ark-AMN said:
Again, someone told me if I didn't use multi-tasking then its better to get a single-core CPU with a higher clock than a dual-core CPU with a weaker clock.
Yeah. For current games a more powerful single core will be better. In the long run Dual core should be better if games are made with dual core in mind. I just hope the SLi isnt held back much by the processor since intel chips lack the gains compared with AMD. But the Ram is inasne! :D I'd love to have your pc :p

As much as I'd like to build my own computer, I've heard a lot of ugly stories to make me think otherwise. Sure you can get all the parts at a cheaper rate, but then, you have to deal with compatibility issues and then problems which could be related to any one of the components which you may have to send back and wait for new ones. Definately don't want to go through all that hassle.

Yeah thats the annoying part although it would go smoothly most likely. I might even get a barebones if i find any and just kit it up. But i wont look into this stuff for a while. I tend to spend alot on pc's too. But i like doing so.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Deg said:
Yeah. For current games a more powerful single core will be better. In the long run Dual core should be better if games are made with dual core in mind. I just hope the SLi isnt held back much by the processor since intel chips lack the gains compared with AMD. But the Ram is inasne! :D I'd love to have your pc :p

Yeah, I figure in the long-run that'd be true, but I have not heard about any games that have been specifically talked about to make use of dual-core so far. I'm sure if I ever drop the bucks for an SLI setup, then I'd be able to add on a better CPU as well. But yeah, I am pleased with the RAM I got. :)

olimario

Banned
I GOT
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
1GB RAM
80GB HD
NVidia Geforce 6800 GT
FOR $1250

I love Cyberpowerinc.com and their deals

Thai

Bane was better.
olimario said:
I GOT
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
1GB RAM
80GB HD
NVidia Geforce 6800 GT
FOR $1250

I love Cyberpowerinc.com and their deals

okay, I just looked at their website and the prices are LOW, what's up with that?

Thai

Bane was better.
i might just order the laptop i've been looking for all this time....i hope they ship to canada

Ark-AMN

Banned
Double Yay! My computer has shipped today from Dell according to the website. Thats one week earlier than their estimated ship date of 1/09. Must have gotten new shipments of their monitors early because thats what was gonna hold it up.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Yeah, I wanted AMD, but of course Dell doesn't sell those with the XPS series. They probably have a deal with Intel. Then again, they don't sell ATi cards with the XPS either, though thats more because ATi has been slow getting their cards to market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom